Adjusting an image on a prop or character

I have an image I of a random symbol I found online and I want to put on the back of spider part of SY spider folk (the female one) but it's too big and/or the wrong place. I also want to put the radioactive symbol on the back of a full body catsuit and the same thing happens. Is there a fix that doesn't involve photoshop (which I don't own due to price) or gimp nonsense?

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,576

If you are using LIE (layered image editor) you can scale and offset your image.

You come into LIE by clicking on the image icon in the surface tab and select Layered Imager Editor.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,643

It just depends on the position you wanna place the symbol pic. For instance, if you'd like to place it in the middle of figure's back or back waist by using LIE,  you still have to split the pic by using some software~

Another way is to use a decal node, howerver, some Ps work is still needed for making Cutout Opacity map and other needed maps...

• Make sure that the image does have suitable usage rights/permissions attached.

• it's alwasy worth learning photoshop or gimp etc
    ---
    find the surface you want to add an image to click browse which opens the folder it's in. 
    right click and open the image in the folder with your art program then copy the image, paste it in place which will give you a layer image you'll probably have to save as a tif (but will make sure you never screw up the original which is probably a jpg or png) 
    then open your art of choice it will open in another window ... select the part you want. 
    Go the original art work .. paste it in... it will be a new layer above the duplicate layer
    resize adjust color etc 
    and then save as a jpg .. which will flatten your top layers and  output them as a jpg
    you can save the big pile as a tiff with the same name as the original jpg or just add work or such into the title of it. 
    ---
    go back to the open daz folder ...your jpg with the art should be there ... click on it and then use the open and the modified material is on your spider and should be in the right place. 
    the pictures below are art nouveau jewelry from 100 years ago ... the book covers are on the cat characters based on the authors kats. The actual book covers were done in poser but with v4 and then layered into an art program. 

nadya nouveau t33 03w.jpg
    1047 x 799 - 272K
    kitanna shirt 2w.jpg
    901 x 798 - 277K
    nadya vevor shirt.jpg
    751 x 798 - 184K
    MM nemesis t-shirt 01w.jpg
    1270 x 844 - 894K
  • Richard Haseltine said:

Make sure that the image does have suitable usage rights/permissions attached.

it's actually one I drew myself a while ago in high school I just found it on my old ArtStation website I was removing files from prior to terminating my site 

• alan bard newcomer said:

it's alwasy worth learning photoshop or gimp etc
    ---
    find the surface you want to add an image to click browse which opens the folder it's in. 
    right click and open the image in the folder with your art program then copy the image, paste it in place which will give you a layer image you'll probably have to save as a tif (but will make sure you never screw up the original which is probably a jpg or png) 
    then open your art of choice it will open in another window ... select the part you want. 
    Go the original art work .. paste it in... it will be a new layer above the duplicate layer
    resize adjust color etc 
    and then save as a jpg .. which will flatten your top layers and  output them as a jpg
    you can save the big pile as a tiff with the same name as the original jpg or just add work or such into the title of it. 
    ---
    go back to the open daz folder ...your jpg with the art should be there ... click on it and then use the open and the modified material is on your spider and should be in the right place. 
    the pictures below are art nouveau jewelry from 100 years ago ... the book covers are on the cat characters based on the authors kats. The actual book covers were done in poser but with v4 and then layered into an art program. 

It's gonna go into unreal engine like everything else so that's not gonna work. I need a non photoshop non gimp type solution. Can you please suggest one?

• It's going on the topside of thorax (the big part where the legs are attached to) on SY sliderfolk spider body. But like I said it's being imported into unreal engine so no PS or gimp type suggestions if it can be helped please 

• felisfelis Posts: 3,576

milliethegreat said:

It's going on the topside of thorax (the big part where the legs are attached to) on SY sliderfolk spider body. But like I said it's being imported into unreal engine so no PS or gimp type suggestions if it can be helped please 

I don't understand why you do not want to use Photoshop or Gimp. Textures on models here at Daz might well be created using these programs.

And especially if you want to use it in Unreal, then I would think it is preferable to have one texture including the overlay.

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,100
    edited April 2023

milliethegreat said:

It's going on the topside of thorax (the big part where the legs are attached to) on SY sliderfolk spider body. But like I said it's being imported into unreal engine so no PS or gimp type suggestions if it can be helped please 

you will make a new texture for the spider, then you put that texture on the spider and then export it. 
    ---
    But it will be a challenge because the texture is split left and right side .. so you'll have to fit your design to the curve/
    ---
    first picture is the default texture with a copy of that texture with a yellow spot on the back [Image removed]
    second picture is two spiderfolk bodies one with each texture.
    so once you had your new texture the way you wanted it you would but that texture on the body and then export with that texture on it. 

spiderfolk.jpg
    1055 x 652 - 109K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • felis said:

milliethegreat said:

I don't understand why you do not want to use Photoshop or Gimp. Textures on models here at Daz might well be created using these programs.

And especially if you want to use it in Unreal, then I would think it is preferable to have one texture including the overlay.

because I have slight mental impairment and it would take me years just to figure out the very basic stuff of such a program. It was the same for Daz unreal engine and well a lot of stuff in my life. Sometimes things take me as little as months though. But it's difficult either way. That's why.