Problems with new computer

Rufus CoppertopRufus Coppertop Posts: 171
edited March 2023 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've just installed Daz on a new computer with an Nvidia graphics card and I'm having some weird problems.

The lighting seems weird. Hair doesn't appear except as a kind of outline but does show up in a render.

I've cut and pasted My Library from the old to the new computer via usb drive and lots of files can't be found.

ETA

Content is still showing up. It's just that a lot of the morphs in Scene Subset characters don't load but when I apply the Shaping Preset, they turn out to be okay.

It's just a bit annoying.

Post edited by Rufus Coppertop on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,710

Regarding your GPU. Have you updated the driver to match your new GPU and the version of Daz Studio.

For content have you defined ypur paths in Daz Studio (Edit > Preferences > Content > Content Directory Manager?

If you are installing with DIM or Daz Connect, you need to copy the manifest files and update them if your paths on your old and new computer are different.

• Content is still showing up. It's just that a lot of the morphs in Scene Subset characters don't load but when I apply the Shaping Preset, they turn out to be okay.

It's just a bit annoying.

As for updating the GPU driver, as far as I know, it's the very latest driver for that GPU. I don't know how to go about checking for Daz compatibility.

If your morphs work when you apply them to a character, but doesn't when loading a character as a scene subset, then I think your content is ok, and should look for errors when loading the scene subset. Although I am not aware of obvious reasons, they shouldn't load correctly from a scene subset.

For your GPU, if you can render a primitive in a HDRI (on your GPU) and it looks correct, then I would look specific for these items, that you say look weird. Is it the same version of DS on your old and the new computer?

• Rufus CoppertopRufus Coppertop Posts: 171
    edited March 2023

felis said:

If your morphs work when you apply them to a character, but doesn't when loading a character as a scene subset, then I think your content is ok, and should look for errors when loading the scene subset. Although I am not aware of obvious reasons, they shouldn't load correctly from a scene subset.

For your GPU, if you can render a primitive in a HDRI (on your GPU) and it looks correct, then I would look specific for these items, that you say look weird. Is it the same version of DS on your old and the new computer?

I think it is but right now, I can't be bothered hooking the old one up again to check. I'm finding that things are working though.........the light still looks weird but the renders are fine. Maybe the viewport has a thing for the Iray look.

It would be good to know how to make the lighting look "normal" though.

One of the weird things about the lighting is the face controls...........they're very hard to see............a sort of washed out black colour.

Post edited by Rufus Coppertop on

What do you mean with that your lights look weird?

Which DrawStyle option are you using?

• felis said:

I don't know. I'm using Iray to render. It's the scene setting viewport light that seems weird.

• felis said:

I switched the thingy to "Texture Shaded" and Bob's my uncle!

Thanks for asking that question. I wouldn't have found out how to fix it otherwise.