Why do my renders create icons

I suspect this is more of a general tech question because ALL images I save to my computer do this, but I first noticed it while rendering:

Whenever I add an image to my computer through some means (either through rendering or saving from the Internet) my computer saves the JPG or PNG or whatever, but it also saves a tiny version of that picture that it calls an icon.

So if I run a render and save render1.jpg to my computer, it also saves a file called render1_jpg_icon.jpg to my computer, the latter just being a teeny-tiny version of the former.

At first I thought it was that I'd enabled hidden files under View, but the only thing I have enabled it File name extensions -- "hidden items" is unchecked.

And if I try to delete the icon files, they just repopulate.

What are they? How do I get rid of them? I don't think they're malignant, just that they take up space and make it harder to find stuff in folders.

Comments

• ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 504

DAZ does this if you save in the root Render Library. If you save in a sub-folder of the render library, it doesn't create the icons.

• The Render Library should create icons, use the icon next tot he library name (under the file name) in the render pane to select folder isntead of library adn save to a location that isn't a Render Library - but of course that will stop you from using the render Library pane.

• Chezjuan said:

DAZ does this if you save in the root Render Library. If you save in a sub-folder of the render library, it doesn't create the icons.

Ohhhh, okay. That makes sense.

What threw me off is I've started saving jpgs I find online in that folder too, so I thought my computer had just started saving icons.

But no, it's JUST in Render Library that does that.

Thank you.

• Richard Haseltine said:

The Render Library should create icons, use the icon next tot he library name (under the file name) in the render pane to select folder isntead of library adn save to a location that isn't a Render Library - but of course that will stop you from using the render Library pane.

OK. I will look for it the next time I finish a render. I'm pretty sure I can get by with using a default subfolder in the Render Library folder.

Thanks Richard.