If a product says 4.8 is required... caveat emptor, for real

I just had the unfortunate experience of trying to use a recent script product that lists Studio 4.8 as a requirement. Of course, most every product Daz sells now lists 4.8 as a requirement.

I use 4.6, because it's the last version that AoA's Atmosphere Camera will work reliably in. It's an interesting case, in that I had the Camera, and it works wonderfully, so the later Studio releases, which don't like the Camera, were fairly easy to leave alone till there's a fix. Well, there's been no fix; doesn't look like there will ever be. So, I use 4.6.

This latest product, though, a simple script, apparently can't function at all in earlier-than 4.8 versions of Studio. No 4.8; no workey. I tried; contacted the vender, they said 4.8 required.

Not the end of the world, but this vender is one of the best at what they do, and I have almost all of their earlier products, including at least one recent script product, that works just fine in 4.6, even though it lists 4.8 as a "requirement." In fact, every one of their products, including their earlier ones, now say 4.8 is required, but I use an easy dozen of them routinely in 4.6.

Apparently, though, from this purchase-point forward, No 4.8, no workey. No kidding.

What that means is that their entire new catalog, which all list 4.8 as a requirement, is off my list of things worth buying.

I know there are a lot of other Studio users who, for one reason or another, choose not to blast ahead with every new version release. Apparently, we've crossed some sort of Rubicon, here, and future purchases will have to be really scrutinized. Perhaps contacting the vender first, to be sure.

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015

While someone is going to come behind me and say this isn't reccomended, here is what I do.

I have a DS 4.6 install and a DS 4.8 install on same machine. There are some tutorials for this, and suggested methods to do this with least issues but I did it the easiest way and don't have issues. Some people have stated they have problems, but I never have.

Uninstall DS.
    Install DS 4.6
    Copy DS 4.6 to a new folder, change name if want. This will be your retro 4.6 install.
    Update proper 4.6 install to 4.8.

I actually have 3 DS installations. The only downside I have is they share configuration settings, and recent files. If you double click on a DS file, the updated version will launch, so you need to open DS first, then open the file from the program.

I've done this for years. But if something breaks, a tree falls on your car, alien abductions, not my fault. No warranty. I actually have 3 DS installs, one is a test version for random stuff and I rarely use it. But I test plugins in it sometimes.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • nowefgnowefg Posts: 557

While someone is going to come behind me and say this isn't reccomended, here is what I do.

Thanks, larsmidnatt.

I'm glad to hear, (and the venders ought to be, too,) that there are workarounds. The procedure looks straightforward enough to manage. The question, or issue, in this case, is that the script won't open in 4.6. So, I could run it in 4.8, and then the conversions this script handles, and saves as duf's, would be available as saved duf's for whatever version of Studio I choose to use?

I don't know if my low-powered, useless for IRAY machine can hold both versions at once, but if my Content Library contains the converted files, I can swap Studio versions as needed. At least for now.

That would work for me, and it would help at least one vender, because they have a lot of new products that I intended to get till I hit this snag.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015

I don't see system power being a problem. Technically you could run them at same time but I would not do that... It's more about hard drive space.

Both versions can use the same content library. And DUF should work on both versions assuming the DUF doesn't have something specific to 4.8(it sounds like the script is specific, but not the final data?)...I haven't run into that issue yet myself.

But for me, I should say I don't mix 4.6 and 4.8 up. Files I use in 4.6 stay in 4.6. But I would think scene subsets, shaping presets and stuff like that should be fine used between bersions. I just keep scene files separate for safety sake. (for me its more about my plugins than DS, my plugins don't like switching versions...)

For you, i would try it and see if it works OK. If 4.6 doesn't crash when loading the asset saved in 4.8 you should be golden.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,073

The issue here is that encrypted scripts include the version they are created for - and will not run on a previous version. And, pretty much by definition, any product that includes scripts will have them encrypted.

• namffuak said:

The issue here is that encrypted scripts include the version they are created for - and will not run on a previous version. And, pretty much by definition, any product that includes scripts will have them encrypted.

I think the goal was to use the newer version to let the script do it's job. Then use that asset in the older version. But that is assuming it's a fire once type of script and I don't know myself.