How to export a DAZ figure in fbx format preserving high resolution and etc.

G-MerG-Mer Posts: 8

Hi, I've been trying to figure out how to export DAZ characters to multiple flatforms like iClone and Unreal Engine preserving their original features like hi-res and morphs.

I know how to export Genesis and Genesis 2 figures in fbx format through Reallusion's 3DXchange tutorials, add animations to them and import them back to DAZ or UE4.

But the problem of their method is that the figures exported in fbx format don't have the datas for bending morphs and high resolution(through subdivision I think) shape that DAZ figures originally have.

Attached are fbx and obj exported V7 figures in 3DXchange for the comparison between fbx export and obj export. The fbx format is restricted to its base resolution(34,000 faces) while obj format allows full resolution(136,000 faces).

As you can see, fbx formats only allow us to export the base resolution model(which doesn't look like it was in DAZ studio)

while obj format allows the high-poly model to preserve their full shape(but still lacks the bending morphs and most importantly, the bone rigs and animations are nowhere). 

So my question is :

1. Is there any method to export DAZ figures in fbx format with all the datas including resolution and morphs?

2. If the answer to the 1st question is "impossible", is there any other format that I can use to export DAZ figures with their bending morphs and hi-res shape preserved?

3. If the answer to the 2nd question is "yes", but that format lacks the animation and bone datas to make the figure animate, is it possible for me to "personally" rig bones and animate the figure after exporting?

Thank you in advance for your answers. I think the fbx exported DAZ figures doesn't have enough quality we see in DAZ studio when exported to other flatforms. They are easy to apply to other flatforms with the help from 3DXchange and iClone, but only when it comes to low-res models. Higher resolution figures are also needed for people who need better details and results.

V7(obj).png
866 x 857 - 424K
V7(fbx).png
828 x 779 - 470K
Post edited by G-Mer on

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015

You can export any morphs that aren't correct morphs pretty easy. But the LOD thing is annoying me too.

You are supposed to be able to export the other resolutions via FBX, that is what support told me. I think we should open a separate support ticket regarding LOD in FBX if that is not working. Currently I am annoyed DS is not saving other levels of LOD in the DUF file. It's related but not the same exact thing and I did open a ticket for that.

I could see why UE would not like subdivision though, using different predetermined LOD is one thing, but sub-d is basically dynamic and game engines typically don't do sub-d since it's applied in "realtime". Realtime not being the best word, but Sub-D isn't a baked LOD is my point. LOD are basically different quality versions of the figure saved into the same file, Sub-D geometry is not saved anywhere. It's not "real" and only stored in memory.

Regarding morphs, that's not hard you just change your export options when you export, you can tell DS to export all morphs if you want but that would result in a HUGE file. However you can make rules to export morphs with certain words in them. However the more common approach is to animate morphs you need on a timeline.

Typical method is to make a short 2 frame animation. Frame zero is the base shape with no additional morphs. (so dial in your character, but nothing else). Then in frame 1 or 2 go ahead and dial in all morphs you want to be able to control in the next software, expressions, muscle flexing, whatever. When you open the FBX in another program (UE/Unity/etc) they will show up as either morph targets or blendshapes respectively.

Corrective morphs that are hidden are tough to export. Those are basically proprietary to DS. I haven't found an easy way to export those. So when you get your FBX into another program, don't expect elbows and things to look as good as they do in DS. 

If someone can correct me, that would be fantastic. I would prefer to be wrong about this, but have been doing this pretty regularly for a few months now and haven't overcome these areas.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Thank you! 

Then it's a dead end for now anyway. But I still wonder why obj format is allowed to preserve high resolution data while fbx can't.

Other than rigs and bones and anim datas, is there any difference between obj and fbx? I mean, why fbx formats can't have high-poly data?(DAZ proprietary policy maybe?)

I think we might be able to create a DAZ figure in fbx format, which also have high-poly geometry, by combining obj geometry and fbx bone rigs. Maybe through certain process like below;

1. export DAZ figure in fbx format to a certain modeling tool and save only the bone and rig datas

2. export DAZ figure in obj format to the tool

3. rig fbx bones to obj geometry

4. transform the figure into a new fbx model

I don't know well about rigging, but since we can extract obj geometry and fbx bones from exactly the same figure, I assume that is not impossible.

If someone can tell us about the possibility, I would be very grateful(of course, it will be greatest if there are more 'easy' ways to do so).

• AndyGrimmAndyGrimm Posts: 910
    edited September 2015

did not try that yet with daz models - but this should be possible in Mudbox....

As long as we talk about a base model and a high res using sub div levels.... just import your high res shape obj to the correct res level in mudbox over your base skeleton model.. then export as fbx.

I am not sure about the bending morphs and how they export from mubox....   will give it a try

Post edited by AndyGrimm on
  • AndyGrimmAndyGrimm Posts: 910
    edited September 2015

ok - did a test run....

the way is to transfer details from the obj model to the fbx on level 1.... simple... i did not use a fbx with blend morphs...

but Mudbox can export blend morphs too.. as long as they are on the same res level.....  

here a rigged HD gen2....

export doc....http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/mudbox2013/en_us/index.html?url=files/GUID-A4A1BA04-2C76-4CB8-B66C-D96E0BCA82F3.htm,topicNumber=d30e7511

obj-rigged.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 168K
    Post edited by AndyGrimm on
  • I worry about 3D exchange FBX from DAZ.

as for me, I could not export genesis2 with high poly (subidivided) mesh from DS as FBX well, I could export genesis2 as base mesh)

then I needed to check off,  to exportt  genesis FBX to 3d exchange (I simply use them for iclone only, and for unreal engine)

and about 3d exchange 5, I could store  gen2 or clothing, hair, morphs with FBX

but I could  only tweak as head morph value as same as morphs of expression in 3d exchange.

(then if you turn it as i clone figure, you can only change value as key on timeline as mouse translation,

you can not set each morph value on timeline I felt. (but as for me, I felt it is not good idea to store many morphs to use them in iclone

because iclone can not auto-transfer morphs for clothing ^^;  at least about iclone 5 which I bought before) 

but I am not know much about these FBX and iclone usage, and I hope other guys (there are users who use iclone for daz figure much)

advice us too.

about blender, I have never succeed to import daz genesis FBX as usable model, (collada can keep rig and weight too,

though you lost morphs as controller, (they need to be baked)

• That Mudbox method is very impressive. I'm gonna try it at once! Also I will try the same method with other programs like C4D.

Thank you for the experiment and advice!

• to be sure i imported also a 2 frame animation to figure out if blendmorphs export well from Studio to Mudbox.
    They do....    see screenshot. with expression morphs....

import-morphs.jpg
    1366 x 714 - 138K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812
    edited September 2015

only way I did it was an obj export reimport and transfer utility then going through with geometry editor selecting groups and filling with weightbrush

very tedious

but mouth still welded

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • only way I did it was an obj export reimport and transfer utility then going through with geometry editor selecting groups and filling with weightbrush

very tedious

but mouth still welded

yeah that is a chore. I've tried that too.

But I still wonder why obj format is allowed to preserve high resolution data while fbx can't.

OBJ is a really old and simple format, it knows nothing about different resolutions. When Daz exports it just exports what is currently in the program and visible.

FBX is newer and allows for more complexity. But whe Daz exports to FBX it thinks it should use the base resolution. While there is a Sub-D checkbox in the export options, I don't think it works, or at least not for LOD. 

Trying to use a high resolution mesh and transfering the rigging from the original works fine for the body (mostly). But the face rigging is butchered. And the rigging isn't as good as it was originally in the body, but it is serviceable. 

• You can export any morphs that aren't correct morphs pretty easy. But the LOD thing is annoying me too.

You are supposed to be able to export the other resolutions via FBX, that is what support told me. I think we should open a separate support ticket regarding LOD in FBX if that is not working. Currently I am annoyed DS is not saving other levels of LOD in the DUF file. It's related but not the same exact thing and I did open a ticket for that.

I could see why UE would not like subdivision though, using different predetermined LOD is one thing, but sub-d is basically dynamic and game engines typically don't do sub-d since it's applied in "realtime". Realtime not being the best word, but Sub-D isn't a baked LOD is my point. LOD are basically different quality versions of the figure saved into the same file, Sub-D geometry is not saved anywhere. It's not "real" and only stored in memory.

Regarding morphs, that's not hard you just change your export options when you export, you can tell DS to export all morphs if you want but that would result in a HUGE file. However you can make rules to export morphs with certain words in them. However the more common approach is to animate morphs you need on a timeline.

Typical method is to make a short 2 frame animation. Frame zero is the base shape with no additional morphs. (so dial in your character, but nothing else). Then in frame 1 or 2 go ahead and dial in all morphs you want to be able to control in the next software, expressions, muscle flexing, whatever. When you open the FBX in another program (UE/Unity/etc) they will show up as either morph targets or blendshapes respectively.

Corrective morphs that are hidden are tough to export. Those are basically proprietary to DS. I haven't found an easy way to export those. So when you get your FBX into another program, don't expect elbows and things to look as good as they do in DS. 

If someone can correct me, that would be fantastic. I would prefer to be wrong about this, but have been doing this pretty regularly for a few months now and haven't overcome these areas.

I tried your method with Cinema 4D, did not work. MAy be there is someting I am doing wrong. What are the speces you are ticking in the Daz FBX export menu ?

• This was an extremely helpful topic

You can export any morphs that aren't correct morphs pretty easy. But the LOD thing is annoying me too.

THIS!

So all I had to do was make an animation in the renders tab, have my base/prefered setup on frame 1, and on frame 2 activate all my morphs to max. When I exported it, the morphs worked correctly in Unreal Engine, even the HD morphs that didn't normally export. I logged in just to say thanks...even if you'll never see this! Thank you!

• Woody4DWoody4D Posts: 12
    edited March 2019

I have the ability to convert perfectly rigged DAZ 3D HD characters with all the HD goodness intact to FBX  (Unreal, Unity, Blender, iClone, Motion Builder, Endorphin Etc...)  with the ultimate in optimized Texture Atlas'!  

I can also create ultra high-quality full body professional maps and textures such as:

Normal Maps,  (For HD detail on Lo Density meshes)

Scientifically Accurate Sub Surface Scattering (backlight) maps,  (For the glow of light that shines through skin)

Cavity Maps,  (Texture that shows all the 'indentations' such as the mouth, eyes, etc)

Density Maps, (Texture that shows the thickness of the mesh at every point in grayscale data) 

Dust Maps (snow on Roof, or head & shoulders, etc),

Occlusion Maps (massively increases perceived internal/self shadow detail!),

Texture Wraps (output of a Geometrically correct single Atlased map that applys any source texture (you choose or supply) evenly on any surface, with no UVW warping.)

Email details/requirements for a quote:

[email protected]

include: general requirements, number of source textures to be 'Atlased', what additional 'data maps' (see above) you require, number of morphs,  (I specialize in making the best use of the Facial Bones so that (computationally expensive) Morph Targets, (blendshapes) only need to be used in places where you want HD details to change over time! (Wrinkles forehead, throbbing veins etc.).  The HD Nomals map I create will make the FBX normal rez mesh LOOK like the HD so there any gret options to use the lo-rez FBX mesh for the LOD's BUT: with perfect Normal maps, they look GREAT!! 

VERY FAST WORK, I have perfected the procedure!

I am Robert. I hope to hear from you!   Come subscribe to my fun random VR / CGI Youtube channel:   www.youtube.com/NextWorldVR 

Post edited by Woody4D on