Alfa's to hide poke thrus ? ( Solved )

RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
edited August 2012 in The Commons

Alfa's to hide poke thrus ?

Made a pair of shorts.
when I pose I get poke thrus.

Can we make a alfa for the public that is separate from the texture to hide part of genesis.
so even if they change textures the alfa stays ?

Post edited by RorrKonn on

Comments

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Easily done.

Since you didn't say what software - I'll assume it's Carrara.

Just open the model in the vertex room, select the offending area, then either set it as a shading domain or hide the vertices.

Hope that helps.

• RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

My bad ,in D/S Pro 4.0
    I do not have Carrara.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

A little confused as to exactly what you want to do.

An alpha, as I understand it is a transparency map ? yes. So you want to make a transparency for parts of Genesis, in oder to stop poke through ?

If your shorts are rigged, and fitted to Genesis, then you can sort this out within DS without any need for alpha's. I know there is an add on for older DS versions called Pokeaway, but in DS4 I think that what you need is Collision detection on the Smoothing Modifier

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

cho is correct using the Smoothing and Collision modifier is a good idea. But before doing try this select the figure and in the Parameters Options Dialogue choose Transfer Active Morphs. Depending on the item this can sometimes work well. See images below

if you go the Smoothing and Collision Mod route I would use a smoothing of 1 or 2 and a collision of about 10 -15 or higher if poke-through still exists.

TransActiveMorphs.jpg
    497 x 469 - 123K
    ParametterOptions.jpg
    355 x 232 - 63K
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot for your all's help. :-)

edited December 1969

Glad to be of help. I you think your problems are now sorted out could you do us a favour and edit your thread title, to add (Solved) at the end. THanks.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Glad to be of help. I you think your problems are now sorted out could you do us a favour and edit your thread title, to add (Solved) at the end. THanks.

I am making a lot of progress and thanks a lot for that.
    I now know I need to check "Add smoothing modifiers in the transfer utilities.
    or you don't get the collision or smoothing iterations in parameters tab
    ,but I still get a few poke thrus on poses.
    even when collision and smoothing iterations setting are set to high.
    and the mesh sets pretty far off the mesh.

currently my best guess is poly count of 3000 is no high enough.
    But I'm new at this so it's a wild guess.

When I get this down I will add solved ,can't wait to add solved.

edited December 1969

What really matters when using the Collision is Mesh resolution which you have figured out. :) The finer the mesh the better results you will get. Genesis is fine enough for most things but for items (clothing) they sometimes need to be subdivided using SubD before your get a smooth collision. BUT some models are made in such a way that apply SubD will blow the mesh apart. This is due to the mesh not being welded together. What I do once the scene is set is to save out the offending item as an OBJ wavefront object and use Blender to refine to mesh more, back into Daz Studio. If nothing is moved then the new obj will be in the correct position. The it is a case of setting up the materials and set the collision. Once you do this a few times it soon gets easier and quicker to do. Hexagon might be a better option for workflow as Daz Studio and Hexagon have a Bridge for easy transfer.

edited August 2012

OK Thanks. I can't help you with the technicalities of your problem, as I am not a DS user :red:

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited August 2012

You can Apply Smoothing and Collision manually

Select your item and whilst in the Scene Pane go to Options (1) AS SHOWN BELOW. Then 2 Edit and 3 Apply Smothing Modifier.

SmoothingA.jpg
    800 x 558 - 248K
    Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

I just has a thought. Using the Push Modifier might work too. Select the Item of clothing, apply Push Modifier. This will will push to mesh outward, you can set the amount of Push in the Parameters Pane.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited August 2012

Just use the polygon grouping tool on genesis, lasso select the area of the mesh you want invisible, choose hide selected and you're done. Its as simple as that. No need for alphas etc.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Zev0: Thanks.

Szark : I think Push modifier is a D/S 4.5 thing ,can't find it in D/S 4.0.
    I would like to get D/S 4.5 but it is my understanding that if your going to make content for the public you alt to use D/S 4.0.

edited December 1969

Who told you that. As I understood it the new format in DS4.5 makes it easier to share stuff

edited December 1969

RorrKonn said:
    Zev0: Thanks.

Szark : I think Push modifier is a D/S 4.5 thing ,can't find it in D/S 4.0.
    I would like to get D/S 4.5 but it is my understanding that if your going to make content for the public you alt to use D/S 4.0.

Yes it is a 4.5 function my bad.

As for content making I would opt for making stuff for DS3 in DS3 formats, then saving out with DS4.5 and not forgeting Poser 7 or 8. :)

edited December 1969

Thanks so very much for ever ones help.
    I'm going to get 4.5.
    I'm going to do what I do best ,Model.
    Let others make it work in DAZ ,Think this is the best solution for every one.
    Thanks again for all the help.