Glowing eyes (irises) for genesis 9

Hello everybody,

how can I make glowing irises für genesis 9 characters as there is no surface for the irises anymore?

I tried to make a mask for the emission channel but there is none :(.

I only want the irises to glow, not the whole eyes. Any help is really appreciated :).

Best regards

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,657

You could add a geoshell to the eyes, and apply Iray Uber Shader to that, and then use your mask in the emission channel on that.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,262
    edited February 2023
    1. So I opened and copied one of the genesis 9 eye textures in an image processor,
    2. created a new layer, put some text on a circular path in white,
    3. added a black layer below it, exported the whole thing as a new jpeg,
    4. opened Daz studio,
    5. loaded Michael 9,
    6. created a geoshell of the eyes by selecting the genesis 9 eyes in the scene and created a geoshell,
    7. turned off the visibility of stuff I didn't want in the parameter tab,
    8. added the jpeg i created in the surface tab for the geoshell in the emision channel which I colored blue and, just in case, also the opacity channel,
    9. and finally added an HDRI, camera, a little light and rendered.

proofofconcept.jpg
    1598 x 1251 - 495K
    glowingeyes.jpg
    4096 x 4096 - 315K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • guenterstiefhusguenterstiefhus Posts: 14
    edited February 2023

Thanks a lot :)

Post edited by guenterstiefhus on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,167

I haven't played much with G9 yet. Why does it matter that there's no separate iris surface?

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,262

Gordig said:

I haven't played much with G9 yet. Why does it matter that there's no separate iris surface?

In truth, no, but it is change and change in scary.  On a practical level, the surfaces are more rational and less distorted so it should be much easier in the future. 

• You could also try changing the eye shader to the standard Uber shader instead of the PBR one.  You lose some realism but you are going to make the iris glow anyway, and that gives you an emissive channel you can put your mask in.