Getting rid of the gloss of the MEGA wardrobe items?

Getting rid of the gloss of the MEGA wardrobe items?

Specifically, the Genesis 8 Male MEGA Wardrobe...since the clothes look casual I presumed that some sweaters were either "distressed" or had stains...it finally dawned on me that the surfaces are very reflective, seen from certain angles it almost looks like the clothes are made of glossy plastic, you can actually see lights reflecting off them!  Is there any way to remove the gloss?

Comments

• here's an example...

wasting ammo 5.png
    444 x 720 - 573K
  • SBibbSBibb Posts: 596

That looks like there might be textures missing. Maybe try reapplying the material, or reinstalling the particular product?

• That's really strange. I don't get that plastic look at all. Did you apply the base texture(s) from the Shirts folder beffore applying the color?

• Are you applying any of the included material presets that come with the product? The only way I can get results like that is loading up the clothing and just changing the diffuse color. If you apply one of the material presets included it should adjust to the correct iRay shader and apply maps to look like fabric.

• AlmightyQUEST said:

Are you applying any of the included material presets that come with the product? The only way I can get results like that is loading up the clothing and just changing the diffuse color. If you apply one of the material presets included it should adjust to the correct iRay shader and apply maps to look like fabric

I'm pretty sure that's what I did (add the iRay texture included with the Mega bundle)...as soon as this other render I'm working on is finished I'll try another onefrom scratch and see if i still get the same artifacts

• LOL, if you look close enough at his t-shirt, you can actually see the the man he's firing at!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,853
    edited February 2023

This is what I get applying the deault sweater mateials (I don't have the texture add-on) and the Super Jeans

Mega Genesis 8 Male Super Jeans and Sweater.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 104K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

These come with both 3DL and Iray materials.  Neither of these results in a shiny finish or a checked pattern.

• Like I was saying, I'll try a test render once my render in progress is completed

• So, here is the test render...same lighting and environment; the materials are indeed the ones that came with the MEGA wardrobe...I'm still getting those weird reflections on the sweater 

mega wardrobe test.png
    444 x 720 - 529K
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,259
    edited February 2023

​Solution (click to enlarge)

1d.jpg
    1598 x 1251 - 361K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • nemesis10 said:

​Solution (click to enlarge)

Thanks, I'll give that a try!

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited February 2023

Since a couple versions back of DAZ studio, I always get the glossy plastic high reflective surface, on the original product as default when I load the product. It's the object, not the material only.  Doesn't matter if it is an old product or new. If it is 3Delight texture, i go to the search box in Surfaces, search (one item at a time) on gloss, specular and reflection, I set the slider to zero. I correct the glossiness in the Surfaces panel. If I use the Iray script, it ignores my changes in the 3D I made to remove "plastic". The newly Irayed stuff becomes completely high gloss weight,etc.

If in Iray, or converted from 3Delight, I go to search box in Surfaces panel, search (one item at a time) on  Gloss, Reflection, sometimes dual lobe and with hairs-top coat, and slide all those to zero.  

Post edited by IceScribe on
  • If you're getting 3Delight shaders and surfaces that look like this on every product, I think something else might be going wrong, there hasn't been a Studio change that has caused anything remotely like that for me.

I looked again, and again I can get exactly what is being shown in the pictures here if I load the clothing but don't apply one of the base presets to it. Like in the screenshot from nemesis10, make sure to apply one of the BASE presets first, which will set the right shader and maps. If you just select one of the color presets, it will change the diffuse color but not the rest of it, and you'll get what you're showing here. You can double check by going to surfaces and seeing if the shader is "DAZ studio default (RSL)" which is 3delight, or if it's correctly changed to "Iray Uber (MDL)".