DAZ Studio installed its own paths . i dont want them

davesodaveso Posts: 6,437

I had to uninstall all my DAZ content and programs today and reinstall. I set up DIM to load everything to custom directories. When DS installed, it set up  its own directory structure on the C drive, then it told me there were conflicting directories.  I do not want this on my C drive, only D. How do I get rid of all that stuff on my C drive and change it to D? 

I went into preferences and it set up full cms directory structure, etc, and I cannot delete that entry. I was able to add my D cms directory, but the C one is still there. I want everything DS put on C gone. I have to assume it added entries to the registry as well. 

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    edited February 2023

...this is what I'm concerned about as well, as I have a custom setup on a different drive than the root C: and it has happened to me on a couple occasions when I updated the IM.

I wish it wouldn't auto update when you open it as I could simply use the manual download option, then move them to the "ready to install folder" manually and use the old version in offline mode to install.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • In my latest response from support they told me that they "cannot support any custom paths" for the database. I had to change it back to the C drive to receive further support. Makes you wonder why there's an option to change it then.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380

The application itself takes up little room on a hard drive. What takes up all the room is assets. You are able to put and direct all your content to another external drive other than your C: 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,437

frank0314 said:

The application itself takes up little room on a hard drive. What takes up all the room is assets. You are able to put and direct all your content to another external drive other than your C: 

so it set up a fairly extensive directory structure on my C Drive. CMS is also on there ... so should I delete the D Drive CMS path? 

• Please post a screen shot of the Content Directory Manager (Edit>Prewferences>Content tab) showing the curremt paths as I cannot follow what you are getting - there can be only one database path and Daz Connect data path.

Richard Haseltine said:

Please post a screen shot of the Content Directory Manager (Edit>Prewferences>Content tab) showing the curremt paths as I cannot follow what you are getting - there can be only one database path and Daz Connect data path.

here these are 

cms2.jpg
    603 x 570 - 67K
    cms1.jpg
    575 x 559 - 40K

here is the DIM setup

dim.jpg
    612 x 349 - 64K
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

What's your problem? Both use the same folders.

Ascania said:

What's your problem? Both use the same folders.

i dont want DS files on my C drive.  

• The only files on C: are the database (which is not large, and which you can tell to use a different location through any of those locations - but you will need to replace the empty Content Cluster Folder with the one from your current location if you want to keep the current database.

Richard Haseltine said:

The only files on C: are the database (which is not large, and which you can tell to use a different location through any of those locations - but you will need to replace the empty Content Cluster Folder with the one from your current location if you want to keep the current database.

Thanks..I'm a bit confused..so you're talking about the File in the content manager section? The one on the C drive?  

• daveso said:

Richard Haseltine said:

The only files on C: are the database (which is not large, and which you can tell to use a different location through any of those locations - but you will need to replace the empty Content Cluster Folder with the one from your current location if you want to keep the current database.

Thanks..I'm a bit confused..so you're talking about the File in the content manager section? The one on the C drive?  

Yes, that is the database used by the Content Management System.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    edited February 2023

...I notice in the screenshots that for installs to Daz Studio Formats and Poser Formats the address is

--"D:/users/Public Documents/My Daz3D Library" 

On my system the paths for content installs are:

[-]Daz Studio Formats:

--D:/Daz 3D/Studio4/Library
    --D:/Daz 3D/Studio/MyLIbrary

[-]Poser Formats 

--D:/Daz 3D/Studio4/Library
    --D:/Daz 3D/Freebies (
    manual installs)

[-]Other Import Formats

--D:/cg utilities/objs (manual installs)

I don't bother with Daz Connect.:

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • The names of the content directories don't matter, as long as DS knows where they are.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

DAZ Studio, including Postgres dB & all it's DAZ content need to be installed on a USB drive and run standalone for that users can take the USB drive to whatever computer they own. 

I've now noticed DS is crashing a lot. Just out of nowhere. Bang, gone. Not sure what is going on...oh, let me look at the log file.

edited February 2023

well, tried to open DS and now it won't even open. Not sure what is happening. Strange and troubling sequence of events here. Not only does the shortcut not work, but the program is not even showing up in my files. weird

program no work.jpg
    397 x 244 - 24K
    Post edited by daveso on
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

You moved it. The shortcut link does not know where it is.

Ascania said:

You moved it. The shortcut link does not know where it is.

no, i uninstalled and reinstalled it. i redid the shortcuts after the reinstall. It was working other than the fact the paths were not what i wanted. I did not touch them but posted here. Now the entire program is gone. Hard drive search yields nothing, other than the parts that are in the user directory, on both C and D drive. DIM does work but there is nothing to be seen in the directory structure of the D drive, where I installed it. Perhaps an HD failure, again. This system has been nothing but problems since I bought it couple of years ago, but everything works except DAZ Studio and associated products. 

well, tried to open DS and now it won't even open. Not sure what is happening. Strange and troubling sequence of events here. EDIT: DIM has now disappeared as well. 

• That sounds like over-zealous security software - what do you use, and have you checked its recent actions list or quarantine list?

edited February 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

That sounds like over-zealous security software - what do you use, and have you checked its recent actions list or quarantine list?

I only use Windows Defender.After I wrote that last post, my hard drive disappeared. . What I found though was the SATA connecter in BIOS was disabled. I enabled that and the hard drive came back It seems like some sort of motherboard virus or failure??  Once it booted and the hard drive is recognized, the DS installed is a mess though, with SQL missong. DIM is still not listed on the hard drive but it works if I click the shortcut. It still seems like a messed up hard drive. I think I will uninstall what I can and start over, but leave everything default for a bit to see if it works or not. 

What is still puzzling, DS is in the D Drive directory and does not work, DIM is not in there and works.  Too strange. 

I do apppreciate your assistance Richard.  

Post edited by daveso on
    edited February 2023

OK ... just uninstalled and reinstalled everything. All is now on C Drive and it is working, other than when I loaded DS, a box popped up stating it found another content directory, which was the new C directory, and asked if I want to include. I said yes. It is obvious , even though the program was uninstalled, pieces of the program remain..probably in registry. This is a problem I noted previously, and it does indeed mess up a new installation as it points to old files and locations. 

Now, at this point, can I go into DIM and change where I want files to be download and installed? What locations need to be changed in DIM, What file locations in DS have to be changed? What needs to remain as is?  

Post edited by daveso on
  • There are two scripts here that can be used to sync DIM and DS - just download the one you need (since a few things can be set only in DS I would do the work there) using the link above the script's code, then drag it into the DS Viewport to run it.

Richard Haseltine said:

There are two scripts here that can be used to sync DIM and DS - just download the one you need (since a few things can be set only in DS I would do the work there) using the link above the script's code, then drag it into the DS Viewport to run it.

i cannot find these scripts. 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,731

I always install DS, DIM and CMS on the default locations the C: drive, and then data (like DS Content libraries and DIM Download/Manifest Files) on one or more separate data drives, to keep programs and their data separate which has several advantages.  Never have any problems with anything.  I don't think it's a good idea to install software or have the system on other drives than C:, nor do I see any good reason for it.

• I have DAZ Studio installed on my E drive, and I haven't had any problems with it. 

Taoz said:

I always install DS, DIM and CMS on the default locations the C: drive, and then data (like DS Content libraries and DIM Download/Manifest Files) on one or more separate data drives, to keep programs and their data separate which has several advantages.  Never have any problems with anything.  I don't think it's a good idea to install software or have the system on other drives than C:, nor do I see any good reason for it.

thaks. Right now I have the data, downloads , and manifest on the D drive...all the remainder, programs, SQL,CMS  etc on the C. It appears to be working OK right now. We shall see.