problems with textures/bumpmaps doesnt show in ds 4.8 after I import an exported obj

Hi

so I group all things together and try different settings in export obj option

its a lowpoly object that heavily relies on bumpmaps and textures

when I import the .obj to daz studio,it lacks textures:(

does it matter if they are png or jpgs?they are currently in same directory as hex and obj files

M

showing WIP as seen in hexagon

screenshot4.jpg
1004 x 566 - 58K

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

The obj format, and Studio by extension, is very picky when it comes to handling names and locations of materials.  The image files used for textures are probably not being found for some obscure reason that only the orginal authors of the format understand.

That said, it isn't that difficult to reassign them in the Surfaces tab within Studio.

If you've defined the surfaces and UV mapped the item, in Hex, then those surfaces should show in the Surface tab, in Studio.  Just use the boxes (the down arrow next to the color bar for things like Diffuse Color) and assign the image back to that slot.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Where were the textures before you "grouped all things together"? There ought to be a .mtl file that goes along with the .obj file, this contains all references to all the textures applied to the mesh; the texture references are not stored in the .obj file. One of the more common texture failures when importing an .obj is that the .mtl file refers to textures in a subfolder or other location apart from wherever the .obj file itself is. It's also possible that the .mtl file was created with absolute folder paths to the textures — this means they will never work on any computer in the world unless exactly the same folder structure is recreated.

Open the .mtl file (it's only plain text) and see if the texture references are for the bare texture file names, or if they include folder paths.

• mach25mach25 Posts: 256

thanks,hex sets path fixed on old laptop to daz 3d hexagon\subfolder that doesnt exist in mtl file and my new laptop I have ds studio installed

I think its better to learn to make MAT presets in dazstudio, as I want to be able to choose different colors for walls/roof etc and choose between wood,stone,concrete walls

I also want to be able to choose to only have the base house as visible and turn on and off visibilty on extra building parts

should it work to import .obj to dazstudio and set all materials and export to .obj?

use a different file format?

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited August 2015

Not sure if this will answer your problem. The ScreenShot you uploaded is not working.

If you have the prop in DAZ Studio you can export it out as an OBJ file and reset the the textures in Hexagon.

Turning things invisible in DS. First you save the prop as a Figure Prop Asset, this gives you a folder in your content to add a Material Sub-folder. Just uploading a quick video -

Hope this helps - John

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on