Trying to reinstall a fresh version of DS?

Hello

So, I had been having a few glitches with DS. Figured it may be due to just the size of the current library. Figured a fresh clean install would help.
First is the headache so far of trying to get the old one off. I tried to run the uninstaller...to find the entire Daz folder still on my c drive. It didnt seem to do anything.

I want to install it on my external drive of 5tb. This way its on a dedicated drive. No issue of enough room on it, etc.

Now my question is, the paths?

Should I just create a folder that is "DAZ" and install there? Does it -have- to be on C drive?

Do I just delete the old "C drive" copy that didnt seem to uninstall?

(I realize this all may sound rather basic, but it is currently 7am for me and I have been trying to just get the old copy off the new puter for a good bit now, sleep deprivation is a wondrous thing)

Comments

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,213

    Uninstalling the software will NOT touch your library - possible exception being stuff that comes directly within the application - and I don't think it has that, but comes as separate packages that come with it.

    Changing the location of your content will totally screw you up entirely, unless you don't mind adding it back in. This is where DIM and possibly Daz Connect will help. I've never tried Connect, but every time I move or remove or change my library I use DIM, because that's what I ended up using to put it together in the first place.

     

    Problems that WILL occur by doing something like this will come from anything you've already saved and wish to keep. Moving the content location will remove Studio's ability to find it again for any of your saved creations - the exception to that is if you move your library using the database related apps - DIM or Connect. 

     

    Good luck - I hope it all works out well.

  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,427

    Reinstallation of DS does not fix problems with the content library, they are two different things. DS just needs to be told, where the content library is and that's it.

  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,727
    edited February 2023

    It's better to have DAZ installed on C drive though it doesn't have to be. You may configure new target software folder in DIM or specify it when using executable installation program. The old DAZ application folder in Programs Files directory on C drive could be just deleted but you need to reinstall all the plugins then. And I also don't think your content library is the root reason. I wonder what's the problem on earth~

    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Dartanbeck said:

    Uninstalling the software will NOT touch your library - possible exception being stuff that comes directly within the application - and I don't think it has that, but comes as separate packages that come with it.

    Changing the location of your content will totally screw you up entirely, unless you don't mind adding it back in. This is where DIM and possibly Daz Connect will help. I've never tried Connect, but every time I move or remove or change my library I use DIM, because that's what I ended up using to put it together in the first place.

     

    Problems that WILL occur by doing something like this will come from anything you've already saved and wish to keep. Moving the content location will remove Studio's ability to find it again for any of your saved creations - the exception to that is if you move your library using the database related apps - DIM or Connect. 

     

    Good luck - I hope it all works out well.

    I am using the Daz Central for install.
    The issues I was having were "fatal errors" with The DazStudio...-not- my content. I was hoping to uninstall, and do a clean re-install. But for some reason, its just not working right.

    I want it all on the external drive. Which, I thought, wouldnt be much harder than uninstalling>re-downloading>reinstalling everything on the external drive.


    But it seems either the computer or the program has way different ideas.

     

  • PerttiA said:

    Reinstallation of DS does not fix problems with the content library, they are two different things. DS just needs to be told, where the content library is and that's it.

    Its not the libraries I had issue with. I was having "fatal errors" happening with DazStudio.

    I thought it would be a quick "uinstall and reinstall" (then of course, reinstalling all content)

    But its not working out this way.
    Which, doesnt seem accurate, as I have not had this issue with any other program.
    It should be as simple as "Un-install>redownload>reinstall>reinstall content"
    But...it seems the computer and dazstudio has other ideas.

    I am also using the DazCentral as it does allow you to alter the paths its installed to.

  • crosswind said:

    It's better to have DAZ installed on C drive though it doesn't have to be. You may configure new target software folder in DIM or specify it when using executable installation program. The old DAZ application folder in Programs Files directory on C drive could be just deleted but you need to reinstall all the plugins then. And I also don't think your content library is the root reason. I wonder what's the problem on earth~

    It was the actual program I was having issues with. It kept giving me "Fatal errors". So, thought a nice "re-install" would help.

    Now I am sitting here with far too much coffee, and arguing with a computer over something that should be simple.

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,213

    One thing that kept giving me that message was having Filament as the workspace viewer. I'd fire DS back up, change to Texture Shaded or Flat shaded and I wouldn't get the message.

    The most recent scene I had to do this for was Massive - All five Urban Sprawl City Blocks plus six additional instances of them, over 160 animated LoRez people, a bunch of Polish's Cyberpunk Back Alley signs and buildings (though the Fatal Error came before I added those) 

     

    I don't recall the one before that - but it was clearly a Filament related issue. Now every time I get that error and fire DS back up again, sure enough. It was on Filament (which is what I normally use for setting up my character animations)

  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,727

    DarkElegance said:

    crosswind said:

    It's better to have DAZ installed on C drive though it doesn't have to be. You may configure new target software folder in DIM or specify it when using executable installation program. The old DAZ application folder in Programs Files directory on C drive could be just deleted but you need to reinstall all the plugins then. And I also don't think your content library is the root reason. I wonder what's the problem on earth~

    It was the actual program I was having issues with. It kept giving me "Fatal errors". So, thought a nice "re-install" would help.

    Now I am sitting here with far too much coffee, and arguing with a computer over something that should be simple.

    Oh my~~ Lots of ppl ever encountered fatal crashes. Even now, if I boost my CPU‘s frequency, DAZ will crash from time to time when I apply poses to the figure. Reinstalling DAZ did not work for me. I think you may try to reinstall a new fresh copy to see if the crash would be gone. And at the same time, better send a ticket to report the crash... As per my experience, reinstallation won't help with fixing most of the 'crashes' crying

  • Dartanbeck said:

    One thing that kept giving me that message was having Filament as the workspace viewer. I'd fire DS back up, change to Texture Shaded or Flat shaded and I wouldn't get the message.

    The most recent scene I had to do this for was Massive - All five Urban Sprawl City Blocks plus six additional instances of them, over 160 animated LoRez people, a bunch of Polish's Cyberpunk Back Alley signs and buildings (though the Fatal Error came before I added those) 

     

    I don't recall the one before that - but it was clearly a Filament related issue. Now every time I get that error and fire DS back up again, sure enough. It was on Filament (which is what I normally use for setting up my character animations)

    I have never used filament.
    If I had known it was going to be this much of a headache...I wouldnt have tried this. It should be simple. Yet, its not being simple.

    Im almost considering doing a factory reset and starting -really- from scratch. I dont have anything else to install other than Daz and content.
     

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,213

    So this fatal error happens with everything in DS, or just a particular scene you're trying to open?

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,213

    If you haven't done so yet, try running CCleaner, restart the computer.

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,213

    Every so often I also use CCleaner to scan for regisrty issues, save the recommended backup, then Fix (which deletes bad lines).

    Helps a lot sometimes

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,213

    CCleaner > Tools will also give you the means to uninstall things that you might not be successful with otherwise. Not sure why DS isn't uninstalling for you. Are you using your Daz Central to uninstall it?

    I've never used that so I don't know. DIM uninstalls DS just fine. But I'm not sure DIM is still available to download. Can't seem to find it anymore.

  • Dartanbeck said:

    So this fatal error happens with everything in DS, or just a particular scene you're trying to open?

    It started with one particular scene. Then it started to happen with simple scenes.
    If it was an older computer, I would say it needs a good "scrub". But its not even a year old. It was bought to run DS. Just that. It is literally not used for anything else.
    So I had the brilliant idea of "fresh install" But it seems the computer and DazStudio have now teamed up and refuse to co-operate.

    I think I am going to use the "Cleaner" and see if that makes the computer happy.

  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,727

    DAZ says: Give me some complex scenes or I'll crash!  Computer says at the same time: I need more sleep before you clean me man! cheeky

  • crosswind said:

    DAZ says: Give me some complex scenes or I'll crash!  Computer says at the same time: I need more sleep before you clean me man! cheeky

     

    -Journal entry-

    "I have now attempted to remove and reinstall the program now, multiple times. It is ineffective. I believe at this time that "Vicki" may now have control of the machine. There has been a distinct lack of NVTWS(naked vick in a temple with a sword) material, and I think "Vicki" has become sentient and is trying to control it now. I will give a more valiant effort to try to contain, what, I fear, may have become a figure AI. Wish me luck"

Sign In or Register to comment.