Moving things in/out of scene Groups changes their location

Hey All,

I've been bumping into a thing that's disrupting my workflow after upgrading to 4.21.1.29 the other day.

Say I have a couple of cameras. I create a Cameras group to organise my scene and then drag the individual cameras into the group. All good. The cameras stay in their locations in the scene. Now, if I drag a camera out of the group... it moves to someplace else in the actual scene.

I downgraded to 4.20.1.58 and to my surprise the new behaviour persists. I know for sure that this was never the case in 4.20.1.58 as I've been using that for a long-ish time without any of this 'nonsense'.

The issue appears with anything I move in/out of a group. Not just cameras.

Might some kind soul know how to solve this?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,263

That is the expected behavior when changing the parent of an object: you lose the relative position of the parent. What you can do is right-click in the scene pane, select "Change Parent", select "none" and check "parent in place".

• Parent In Place can also be enables in the Scene pane option menu - it's the same setting either way, and it is sticky so it will persist until changed in either place. The setting affects drag-and-drop in the Scene pane as well as the Change Parent dialogue.

• I've checked 'Parent in Place' - and all is well with the world again.

Many thanks!

• Gordig said:

That is the expected behavior when changing the parent of an object: you lose the relative position of the parent. What you can do is right-click in the scene pane, select "Change Parent", select "none" and check "parent in place".

They should really change that behavior cause it doesn't make any sense for it to do so when moving items into a group for the purpose of organization.

A group should act more like a folder and not that you're parenting the item to another object.