Looking for cool DNA strand model...

I'm working on a project that could greatly benefit from having a stylized (or kinda realistic -- I'm very open on how it looks) DNA STRAND.

I got a free OBJ file from TurboSquid ( http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/612564 ), and will continue my search elsewhere. I might even decide to make my own.

But before going too far down the "google hole" to search for something, I thought I'd ask here. 

Comments

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932

Hello!

Are you looking for a particular style? As it happens, my research group is involved in the structure determination of nucleic acids by nuclear magnetic resonace. As such I am frequenly preparing 3D models of DNA or RNA for use in research papers of text books. If you let me know what you need, I can probably put something together quickly.

Ciao

TD

P.S:.: Here is a quick 30 second example with a simple glass texture (This one is rendered in Vue). It is based on the first ever crystal structrue of DNA (Dickerson et al. 1981)

DNA.jpg
    600 x 600 - 29K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,924

think Runtime DNA has one still

• TD: Working with real DNA? Verrrrrrry cool.

I'm looking for something a bit stylized, more representational than realistic. I'm thinking something with "ribbons" on the edges, rather than spheres. My main interest is the ability to apply different textures/shaders to the various peices. I'm picturing it in chrome and glass (I will probably texture and render in Strata 3D, but I will try it in iray to see what I can get).

TOBOR: Thanks for the link. It's not exactly what I'm looking for, but I might be able to modify it into something I can use.