What does this line mean?

reserv888reserv888 Posts: 1,126

I'm having problems with frequent crashes (black screens) while rendering (or simulating dForce).

Now I have a question regarding one particular line in the error log. It's the first one in a slew of warnings. I have seen the same line when other scenes have crashed (black screened).

What does it mean? (It is the part with "Kernel..." I wonder about).

2023-01-23 11:40:40.735 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.9   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti): Kernel [2] (LightSamplingFS   ) failed after 4.800s

Post edited by reserv888 on

Comments

• Which version of DS, and which nVidia driver?

• reserv888reserv888 Posts: 1,126

Richard Haseltine said:

Which version of DS, and which nVidia driver?

DAZ version is 4.21.0.5

nVidia driver is 31.0.15.2802

• Which I think means 528.02 in the simpler format they rport in the control panel, which is not an issue as far as I know. I have the same GPU, can you recall what was in the scene that triggered this?

Richard Haseltine said:

Which I think means 528.02 in the simpler format they rport in the control panel, which is not an issue as far as I know. I have the same GPU, can you recall what was in the scene that triggered this?

I have received the same error message in various scenes. I now updated the nVidia driver to 31.0.15.2824 and just made a render, and got another BlackScreen. The first WARNING in the log was similar to the one I first mentioned. (Kernel 6, instead of Kernel 4)
    2023-01-23 17:06:15.654 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.8   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti): Kernel [6] (LightSamplingSr   ) failed after 6.401s

In this scene I used:
    Three spotlights
    An emissive light
    Cyberpunk Studio Apartment
    Genesis 8 Female
    ZK Scifi Outfit
    Alma Hair

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,296

How much RAM do you have?

PerttiA said:

64 GB 

reserv888 said:

PerttiA said:

64 GB 

Have you checked your RAM (and VRAM) usage before and during rendering, 64GB's might not be enough for your card.

GPU-Z is free and easy tool for checking.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

I am using GPU-Z.

The maximum values during render were:

9,8 GB of VRAM (11,2GB available)
    17,9 GB of RAM (64GB available)
    CPU temp 63 degrees Celsius
    GPU temp 80 degrees Celsius

I attach the latest error log from the latest black screen. (This is the fourth (!) black screen since PerttiA's post two hours ago).

txt
    txt
    Error log 2023-01-23 with CPU fallback.txt

Things I saw in your log;

Your content library has nested directories, that has to be fixed.
    Are you using DAZ Connect within DS to install your content, or logging in to DS?

When rendering, are you using denoiser?
    Have you tried without?

I don't know where the nested files came from in the first place, but now they are gone.

I don't use DAZ Connect. I use DIM.

I usually use denoiser, but that doesn't matter. I get black screens even when I don't. In the log file I previously attached I did NOT use denoiser. 
    In the new attached log file (after a new black screen) I didn't use denoiser either.

txt
    txt
    Error log II 2023-01-23 CPU fallback, No Denoiser, No Nested Files.txt
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,173
    edited January 2023

Out of curiosity, have you tried to reinstall the Nvidia Drivers with a clean install? 

The Kernel is the most basic level or core of an operating system of a computer, responsible for resource allocation, file management, and security.

Are you running Linux? This is a common problem on Linux with Nvidia. <<<---Disregard should have read the whole log.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

The nested directories are still there: "Nested directory encountered while adding..."

This lead me to think DS is trying to connect to DAZ servers, ie. you are logging in to DS; "dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Server did not accept username/password"

Another thing I noticed, you are rendering on both, the GPU and CPU, disable CPU in rendering devices.

Have you tried deleting parts of the scene (as a test) to see, if it then renders, there's at least some objects with 5M triangles, which is very high.

edited January 2023

PerttiA said:

The nested directories are still there: "Nested directory encountered while adding..."

This lead me to think DS is trying to connect to DAZ servers, ie. you are logging in to DS; "dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): Server did not accept username/password"

Another thing I noticed, you are rendering on both, the GPU and CPU, disable CPU in rendering devices.

Have you tried deleting parts of the scene (as a test) to see, if it then renders, there's at least some objects with 5M triangles, which is very high.

It started rendering until it hit that kernel error.

2023-01-23 23:29:03.685 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: 36.93% of image converged
    2023-01-23 23:29:03.795 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00668 iterations after 328.476s.
    2023-01-23 23:29:13.676 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00675 iterations after 338.357s.
    2023-01-23 23:29:38.615 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.16  IRAY
       rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti): Kernel [6] (LightSamplingSr   ) failed after 5.201s

Edit What are nested directories?

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

AgitatedRiot said:

PerttiA said:

2023-01-23 23:29:03.685 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: 36.93% of image converged
    2023-01-23 23:29:03.795 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00668 iterations after 328.476s.
    2023-01-23 23:29:13.676 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00675 iterations after 338.357s.
    2023-01-23 23:29:38.615 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.16  IRAY
       rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti): Kernel [6] (LightSamplingSr   ) failed after 5.201s

The fact that it started rendering, was why I was asking about the denoiser.

Nested directories are when one content library is inside another content directory as a subfolder. Which content directory and where... Would need to see how the content directories are setup in Content Directory Manager.

AgitatedRiot said:

Out of curiosity, have you tried to reinstall the Nvidia Drivers with a clean install? 

The Kernel is the most basic level or core of an operating system of a computer, responsible for resource allocation, file management, and security.

Are you running Linux? This is a common problem on Linux with Nvidia. <<<---Disregard should have read the whole log.

I am running Win10.

I have now run nVidias Cleanup Tool and reinstalled the drivers. Haven't rendered anything after that.

PerttiA said:

You've got the eyes of a hawk!

The nested directories is something DS itself does. I removed them and I am 100% sure they weren't there. The "new" nested directories doesn't contain any files (unlike the "old"nested directories), just empty folders.

The thing with DS trying to login to something; what is that? Why does DS do that, and why doesn't it succeed? Are there any settings i should adjust/delete?

I ususally don't use CPU rendering. I just added it to show it doesn't matter if I have CPU fallback or not.

Where in the log do you see I have objects with 5M triangles?

reserv888 said:

PerttiA said:

The nested directories is something DS itself does. I removed them and I am 100% sure they weren't there. The "new" nested directories doesn't contain any files (unlike the "old"nested directories), just empty folders.

The thing with DS trying to login to something; what is that? Why does DS do that, and why doesn't it succeed? Are there any settings i should adjust/delete?

I ususally don't use CPU rendering. I just added it to show it doesn't matter if I have CPU fallback or not.

Geometry import (2 triangle objects with 5 M triangles, 3 fiber objects with 1084 fibers (1084 segments), 
    4 triangle instances yielding 5 M triangles, 3 fiber instances yielding 1084 segments) took 0.079 s 

In DS preferences->Startup, uncheck "Show Login Page" and "Automatically Login With Remembered Credentials" and DS will not try to connect to DAZ servers.

I would need to see how your content directories are setup to help getting rid of the nested directories, see the attached sample.

ContDirMan.jpg
    384 x 240 - 11K

Geometry import (2 triangle objects with 5 M triangles, 3 fiber objects with 1084 fibers (1084 segments), 
    4 triangle instances yielding 5 M triangles, 3 fiber instances yielding 1084 segments) took 0.079 s 

In DS preferences->Startup, uncheck "Show Login Page" and "Automatically Login With Remembered Credentials" and DS will not try to connect to DAZ servers.

I would need to see how your content directories are setup to help getting rid of the nested directories, see the attached sample.

Is there any way to tell from the log which item it is that uses 5M triangles. (Otherwise I guess the way is to load the items one by one and check the log when it occurs).
    I have now unchecked the "Automatic login".
    For the Content Directories, see attached file.

Content Directory Manager.jpg
    816 x 574 - 247K

PerttiA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

PerttiA said:

The fact that it started rendering, was why I was asking about the denoiser.

Nested directories are when one content library is inside another content directory as a subfolder. Which content directory and where... Would need to see how the content directories are setup in Content Directory Manager.

Thanks learned something new. denoiser can cause a kernel error, and what nesting directories are. My day is done;) 

reserv888 said:

Is there any way to tell from the log which item it is that uses 5M triangles. (Otherwise I guess the way is to load the items one by one and check the log when it occurs).
    I have now unchecked the "Automatic login".
    For the Content Directories, see attached file.

The "D:/DAZ STUDIO/DAZ CONTENT/My Library/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library" is nested and appears under both "DAZ Studio Formats" as well as "Poser Formats"

They are "Nested" because they are both sub-directories to another Content Directory "D:/DAZ STUDIO/DAZ CONTENT/My Library/"
    Depending on where your content actually is, remove the path to Content Directories where it's not (just in Content Directory Manager)

In general the path to content directories should be kept as short as possible, because sometimes the products may have pretty long paths in themselves, and if one hits the limit to number of characters in a path, DS may not find the files it needs.

As far as your rendering problem... When you are rendering, you don't have your preview viewport(s) using Iray, do you?

Nested.JPG
    630 x 387 - 46K

AgitatedRiot said:

Thanks learned something new. denoiser can cause a kernel error,

I'm not sure it does, but denoising is something that starts when rendering has been going on for a while already - Coincidence... Possible, but... 

Forgot... The 5M triangle items... One way to spot them is to look at your scene in wiremesh preview, when one sees an object that has much denser mesh than the others, that is the one(s)

One can also see it in figures, I think the name of the tab was "Scene Info" or something similar, select an object and one sees the number of vertices, triangles, quads and faces.

• reserv888 said:

PerttiA said:

DS does not create nested directories unless told to.

Richard Haseltine said:

What mistake do I do to create these nested directories? It's not on purpose and I have no idea what I do to cause it.

edited January 2023

PerttiA said:

Forgot... The 5M triangle items... One way to spot them is to look at your scene in wiremesh preview, when one sees an object that has much denser mesh than the others, that is the one(s)

One can also see it in figures, I think the name of the tab was "Scene Info" or something similar, select an object and one sees the number of vertices, triangles, quads and faces.

TRIANGLES AND SCENE INFO

The Triangles number in Scene Info is nowhere near 5 M. The item with the highest number is Genesis 8, and thats only 17K.
    When I use Wiremesh preview the most cluttered item is Genesis 8. Also som chairs are very dense but the number in Scene Info for those chairs is close to zero.

ERROR LOG

I made a new render: Genesis 8, outfit, hair, and Stonemasons "Wonderland". (I didn't use the atmospheric effects in Wonderland).
    I rendered a few times. Always with the same result. Crash (black screen) after a few minutes. I have attached the latest log file. I didn't use denoiser, nor cpu, nor cpu fallback, and as far as I can see I have gotten rid of the nested directories.

So back to the original issue, with the line with Kernel followed by a number (4,6, or 19 so far), which seems to trigger the black screens.

2023-01-25 09:36:12.509 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.4   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti): Kernel [6] (LightSamplingSr   ) failed after 4.800s

What does it mean and is there anyhing I can do fix this?

txt
    txt
    Error log III 2023-01-25 No Denoiser, No CPU fallback, No Nested Files.txt
    Post edited by reserv888 on

So... It's rendering for 7.6 minutes and in that time it manages to get only 2.04% converged... That is snail pace for a 2080 ti or are you rendering at 32768x32768x24bit?

"rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti): Kernel [6] (LightSamplingSr   ) failed after 4.800s"
    I noticed an entry in the log about lights "Emitter geometry import (254 light sources with 85261 triangles, 29 instances) took 0.003 s"

If you really have 254 light sources in the scene, that's a huge amount and considering the first error in the log, probably related to the problem as well as the cause for slow rendering

If there are a lot of mesh lights, it is sometimes difficult to find them. This product has made finding the lights and adjusting them very easy;
    https://www.daz3d.com/iray-light-manager-pro

PerttiA said:

So... It's rendering for 7.6 minutes and in that time it manages to get only 2.04% converged... That is snail pace for a 2080 ti or are you rendering at 32768x32768x24bit?

"rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti): Kernel [6] (LightSamplingSr   ) failed after 4.800s"
    I noticed an entry in the log about lights "Emitter geometry import (254 light sources with 85261 triangles, 29 instances) took 0.003 s"

If you really have 254 light sources in the scene, that's a huge amount and considering the first error in the log, probably related to the problem as well as the cause for slow rendering

If there are a lot of mesh lights, it is sometimes difficult to find them. This product has made finding the lights and adjusting them very easy;
    https://www.daz3d.com/iray-light-manager-pro

LOL, no I am not rendering that large. "Wonderland" has en extreme amount of lights. It is a city block so it's quite large (as Stonemasons items usually are) but it is surpringsly low on VRAM. The scene only used around 7 GB (out of 11.2 GB). The scene from the log-file in the initiate post was just a room and it used around 10.7 GB.

I rendered a new scene, basically the same as with "Wonderland", but with "Streets of Steampunk", which is also a large city block but without emissives/lights. It rendered a lot faster. And didn't crash! And no "Kernel warnings".

I will definitely buy Iray Light Manager pro. (It was in my wishlist).

So, at the moment it looks like the culprit was the huge number of lights. You can still try getting the original scene rendered by hiding parts not visible to camera and adjusting the environment/rendering settings for example by limiting, how many times a light can bounce - Not at home at the moment, so can't tell exactly where the setting was.

• reserv888 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

What mistake do I do to create these nested directories? It's not on purpose and I have no idea what I do to cause it.

Do you get DS to Search Drives for Files? I don't know if that feature has a check on nested directories as I never use it.

PerttiA said:

So, at the moment it looks like the culprit was the huge number of lights. You can still try getting the original scene rendered by hiding parts not visible to camera and adjusting the environment/rendering settings for example by limiting, how many times a light can bounce - Not at home at the moment, so can't tell exactly where the setting was.

Yes, the number of lights was the issue with the latest render, but not the first one. 
    Still got that pesky "kernel 6" problem.

How do you adjust the number of times the light bounces?