Twin GPUs *very* slow to render simple iRay. Help!

Tim NTim N Posts: 193
edited August 2015 in The Commons

I've just taken delivery of a new PC with 32 GB of RAM and twin TitanX GPUs. I'm expecting it to render simple scenes in near real time. Instead it takes forever to render even a trivial scene with one G2F and nothing else.

I've got OptiX on, and both GPUs are selected in RenderSettings/Advanced.

In Draw Settings/Blending I've got Interactive switched on and Response Threshhold set to 10 ms, but it's still awfully slow even in a tiny Auxilliary Viewport window.

I'm at my wit's end. Help!  :-(

Edit: I've removed "in SLI" from the title.

Post edited by Tim N on

Comments

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    Turn off sli
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

You don't use SLI with GPU rendering.

• Tim NTim N Posts: 193

Thank you Lars and Sorel. I've turned off SLI; unfortunately, it's still very unresponsive.

• What's your OS? Cath has twin overclocked Titans and found they did NOT perform well under Win10.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

How fast is the render if you don't use interactive mode? Just suggesting to start basic to troubleshooting. I have a 32 GB i7 w/ a GTX780 and render a backdrop/character/ lighting in about 45 seconds (1125x750).

something is definitely not working with your setup.

Hanabi: Windows 10 64-bit. I've installed the latest drivers from NVidia. Is anyone else having that  problem?

Fastbike: It's the same with interactive turned off.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

It's a driver problem...is the version you are using the one from the 13th of August?

Also make sure ALL your drivers are up to date...including motherboard and audio drivers.

Thanks, mjc. I'm reinstalling the latest NVidia drivers (again) now. I'll hunt down the others tomorrow and report back then. I'm off to bed.

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    Tim N said:

Thanks, mjc. I'm reinstalling the latest NVidia drivers (again) now. I'll hunt down the others tomorrow and report back then. I'm off to bed.

Also check that you don't have any warnings in Device Manager.

• Hanabi said:

What's your OS? Cath has twin overclocked Titans and found they did NOT perform well under Win10.

Yes I've got twin 980Ti and under Windows 10 only one card is doing the job !

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

If the driver is billed as game-ready, it may not have cuda cores; look in GPU-z to see if any of the cards show as having cuda cores. Sometimes my 970 shows as not having cuda when the card I use for rendering does. It still gets used for rendering though, and not sure why it does that; doesn't matter if I select another card and go back to it or not.

edited August 2015

So, I've spent the morning ensuring that I have the latest chipset drivers, audio drivers, BIOS, and NVidia drivers and ... I have good news and I have bad news.

The good news is that the GPUs are certainly having an effect as shown below. The bad news is that these results are much slower than I anticipated with two Titan Xs.

The scene was a single Range Rover vehicle with textures converted to iRay rendered at 900 x 600 pixels with default settings. (SLI is off, OptiX is on.)

1. CPU only: 729 seconds
    2. One GPU: 120 seconds
    3. Two GPUs: 75 seconds

I've seen videos on YouTube of Mec4D's rig with two TitanXs and she can rotate her scene in the Viewport in near real time. I most certainly can't. (Yes her cards are superclocked, but that can't be much of a difference.)

I'd be very appreciative of any insight anyone may have.

Post edited by Tim N on

Unless Cath went back to 10, again, those vids are under 8.1...

mjc1016 said:

Unless Cath went back to 10, again, those vids are under 8.1...

Ah, so it's a Windows 10 issue then. Do you think that it's something that will require a fix from Microsoft, or is it more likely something that Nvidia will be able to fix in their drivers?

It's possibly going to be a 'both' type answer...performance problems will most likely be fawned off as an Nvidia problem, until Nvidia can prove, usually after several driver updates (read about 3 to 4 months) that it really is an MS problem.  This kind of stuff happens almost every Windows rollout...and takes 3 to 6 months the clean up.

Oy.

Well thanks for your (and everyone's) help. It looks like I'll just have to be patient.

I'll send a bug report to Daz anyway, just in case it's something they can help with.

• artd3Dartd3D Posts: 165

Nvidia releases hotfix driver 355.80 for Windows 10 SLI issues

Windows 10 has had a (relatively) smooth launch, but driver issues have popped up here and there for both Nvidia and AMD users. Multi-GPU support has been notably dicey. Nvidia has released a new GeForce Hotfix driver 355.80 today to deal with at least one SLI issue: excessive virtual memory consumption for SLI configurations running Windows 10.

Users had been complaining of crashes when running dual graphics card configurations while playing games in Microsoft’s new operating system, and Windows 10’s automatic updates have made driver stability and compatibility a bit confusing. This hotfix driver from Nvidia is at least a partial fix.

Nvidia writes: “The GeForce Hotfix driver is our way to trying to get some of these fixes out to you more quickly. These drivers are basically the same as the previous released version, with a small number of additional targeted fixes. The fixes that make it in are based in part on your feedback in the Driver Feedback threads and partly on how realistic it is for us to quickly address them. These fixes (and many more) will be incorporated into the next official driver release, at which time the Hotfix driver will be taken down. “

There are various downloads available based on whether you’re running a Windows 10 Desktop or Notebook configuration in either 64 or 32 bit. Nvidia adds a note that Hotfix drivers are beta, and optional.

If you’ve been having SLI issues under Windows 10, let us know if this driver helps performance.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post that link. I'll download the driver now and report back tomorrow how It went.

Well, it looks like Nvidia is stepping up the pace...

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 681

Hey, Tim. How did it go with the Driver update?

• will2powerwill2power Posts: 270

There is one other possibility you may wish to investigate, Tim. You mentioned Twin Titan X video cards, but you didn't mention the specs of your new PC's Motherboard, so I'm just going to throw this out for you to investigate on your own. It may be influenced by things not related to your operating system or drivers. It may be hardware related --for instance, if you have a 750 watt power supply --it may not be sufficient to generate power for these two monster video cards. That's just a for instance --but things like this bear investigating. Those cards will also throttle back performance if they get too hot as I understand it. These are problems that can't be solved by drivers or updates, but you will want to consider this in your troubleshooting methodology.Everyone was throwing out possiblities in software --but no one mentioned the hardware side so I thought I would point that out. What level power supply do you have? What are the capabilities of the motherboard you purchased? Do you have PCIE 3.0 Devices stuck in a PCIE 2.0 slot? Don't overlook the hardware side while you investigate.

Granville: The driver update installed fine. (Thanks art3d.) It made no difference to performance, though, as the release notes indicated that it was an SLI fix, and I have SLI turned off now.

Will2Power: Thanks for that. I have a new PCI 3.0 motherboard with a 1,200 W power supply.

I think that most of the speed problem I intially experienced was fixed by switching off SLI and subsequently  tweaking various Daz settings. I still believe that it's running more slowly than it should, though, and I attribute this to an issue that may be Windows 10 related.

I'm hoping that in the months to come updates from Microsoft, NVIDIA and Daz will improve iRay's performance.