My first freebie is finally done, a pan flute for G3, G8 and G9

3 adjustments - Curve, Taper and Band width
8 Band materials
8 Flute materials
6 LIE decorations
2 sitting and 1 standing poses for G3, G8 and G9
Left and Right hand poses for G3, G8 and G9

The flute can be found under Props -> Musical -> Pan flute
Smart content is available through the Setup Smart Content script in the Pan Flute folder.

At the moment it is downloadable on my ko-fi page: https://ko-fi.com/s/0ef9d4a63b
And on renderosity at https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/94094/pan-flute

Let me know what you think, I would love any feedback or tips for improvement

Pan flute mythical
Fairy

Post edited by [email protected] on

Comments

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395

thanks a lot! awesome and super complete with all beautiful mats and very useful poses for several figures! excellent work, great idea! ^^

btw i just got it from rendo, already there ^^

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,273

Thanks Websoul and I have it now. Great work.

• very nice, thank you!

• r.klaij@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 207
    edited March 2023

I posted my freebie on the 3D Shards website and was surprised by the very thorough testing it went through
    Because of that a lot of errors in the poses have been fixed, almost all my poses had fingers poking through materials or other body parts.

The new and imrpoved version can be found here: https://3dshards.com/product/pan-flute-for-g3-g8-and-g9/

Still a freebie, just even better than before :D

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,043
    edited March 2023

Interesting.

I would expect there to be 'poke-into' between the finger pads and pipes. It's hard, otherwise, to simulate the small compression of the finger pads when gripping the pipes. Is this what they were objecting to?

If it was.. Oh. Interesting problem to work around. How else do the poses end up looking realistic? Here I'm trying to learn & improve myself - having no access to HD deformations of the character and doing poses like the one below (and is currently on Renderosity as a freebie), it simply doesn't look right if there is no indentation of the foot into the thigh, or some slight penetration of the right thigh/calf into the floor to simulate the deformations caused by the weight transfer between limbs or limbs and floor. And unless you create a bulge morph for every pose, it would be 'interesting' to create extra poses under those restrictions. I personally agonise (maybe that's too strong a word, 'debate' maybe) over every penetration to make it enough to look real without being too much, often trying the pose myself to get close-to-real levels of deformation/intrusion. What I don't do is a FBM morph for each pose - that I feel is too much, and would overload people's systems with data, too.

Regards,

Richard

G8F Base Sitting 12M.tip.png
    512 x 512 - 189K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • No, there were several actial poke into's where the toe was dissapearing into the calf, or a finger going through the pipe itself, so when I looked from the top I could see the finger sticking into the pipes.
    Or poses had characters sinking into the floor up to the ankle.

This was the first product I ever made and I was too impatient for a very thorough testing since I wanted it released as soon as possible and going from G9 to G8 to G3 and from male to female it felt like so much work to keep all those poses in shape so I missed a lot of glitches.

The tester pointed out the most glaring mistakes and asked me to take a good look at the rest.
    So when I checked the poses I made sure that the fingers where jus touching the pipes and the smoothing modifier kicked in, so I could see a slight jump in indentation.
    A pan flute is light enough that you dont need a white knuckle grip on it so the indentation should be really minimal, I checked how it looked when I held something light and there is almost no indent in my fingers unless I press harder. But since it are all relaxed poses and not ochestra in front of 5000 people the poses should be light and relaxed.
    For the feet / legs I tried as best as I could to find a balace between indentation and poking through and to keep the realism in the pose since legs are heavier and press harder on feet.

Funny thing is that when I was certain that I really had everything and she would not be able to find anything I challenged her.
    Sadly I failed since she still found one glitch of eyelashes poking through eyes in G8 since for some reason they ended up on 125 eyes closed.
    Lesson learned, test the poses with actual characters and not dev loads laugh

I always love your poses and they are an instant grab for me, but the thing with poses is that 90% of the time you dont use them the way they are saved.
    Most of the time the environment is different, the clothes are between hand and leg, or anything else that causes a need to change the pose.
    So I always use them as a starting point but having no fingers poke through the prop is something I really should have caught.

Regards,
    Robert

• Sounds as if was pretty much all good advice. I'll try & bear it in mind with the next set I do. Always looking to do better if I can.

At the moment I'm doing all my poses on the G8F/M base figure but with a character's head if the pose doesn't really affect the head. I load the preset character I have made, then look at the shaping tab and turn everything off except the head shaping and (as in the case of the character above) any HD morph which really just adds muscle tone to make the .tip image more interesting.

I agree with your assessment that most poses are modified, but with some difficult poses (such as crossed legs or arms) I tend to feel the difficult bits are going to be left alone and need to be right wherever possible. Not sure what characters to cater for. I actually have a very limited range of core characters (4 or 5 maybe), so testing out all core Genesis 8 characters is impossible for me. Possibly I ought to think that through a bit more.

It's nice to hear you like many of my poses - I don't get a lot of feedback as to what people like & don't like about my poses, and it's nice to have some idea of what I'm doing right & what people don't like. In some ways I feel a bit of a fraud distributing groups of poses, because everyone can twiddle the dials, same as I do. 

Regards,

Richard.

• What I really like in your poses is that they are great for specific scenario's
    How many folders with Pin-up poses do I have? Dozens!
    How many folders do I have with sick and injured?  A couple but all yours.
    Same with the Waving, Writing, Cleaning and other task specific poses.

Of course those poses won't be used as much as your walking or the 0-100 poses since those can be used in a lot of different scenarios but those are the poses that will certainly be converted to different generations whenever a new one will come out because of their uniqueness.

The problem with feedback is always that I download freebies, install them a week or two later and since they are yours there is no need for me to test them since 99% of your packs work without any problems, and use them maybe a month or year later. By then I don't think of giving feedback but I will keep it in mind next time I use something of yours :)

• Thank you, much appreciated. Looks like I'm going to have to keep getting inspired by odd events. I really could have done without the inspiration for the vomiting poses, though! cheeky

Regards,

Richard

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374

Thank you!

sbs6 pan.png
    2560 x 1440 - 6M
  • Thank you for posting, always good to see it used in renders :)