Background Color?

How do I change the background color in DS 4.8? That option is not where it was in 4.6, unless I am just missing it.

For an Iray setup I get a light blue background, and with a ground plane the "sky" is a black and gray checkerboard as a jpg and png. Is there some kind of invisible dome in place? I don't see it in the Scene tab. Set up as a 3D delight render I get the same results tho sometimes when I open an old 4.6 file I get a while background (sky), but not in the render.

I've looked around and cannot find anything in all the bunches of documentation and tips. I am trying to achieve a render like the attached, all white background and ground with a cast shadow.

I am somewhat dazed and confused by the differences in 4.6 and 4.8. 

HushingAudience.jpg
1000 x 1000 - 123K

Comments

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

It's in the new Environment pane. Also, check in your Preferences (F2) to see if backgrounds are recorded when you save/open scenes.

• 3Don3Don Posts: 690

Thanx Maclean. That info did the trick. 

Rendering in Iray I am getting a shadow from a light (from the left) that I did not add to the scene. Is there a default light "embedded?"

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Did you turn off the headlamp on the camera?

What is sthe headlamp and where does it reside?

I have not yet waded thru all the DS 4.8 documentatins.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

You can switch off the headlamp by selecting the camera and in the Parameters pane, change it from Auto to Off.

There's also a button in Render Settings which changes it from On to Never. I don't have DS4 open right now, but IIRC, that's the one that affects the non-cameras - ie. Perspective, etc.

Thanx again.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    3Don said:

Rendering in Iray I am getting a shadow from a light (from the left) that I did not add to the scene. Is there a default light "embedded?"

There's a default environment light when you switch to Iray — it simulates a nice bright sunny day, so if you're doing an outdoor scene you might not even  need any other lights. If your scene already has all the lights you want in it, though, you can turn off this default by going into the Render Settings tab, click on Environment at the bottom of the left pane, and switch Environment Mode from Dome And Scene to Scene Only.

Thanx, SK!