4k display zoom/scaling without affecting viewport?

bigbadzonebigbadzone Posts: 11

Running Daz 4.21 on Windows 10. When I use display zoom I notice the viewport preview is much lower resolution the higher my display zoom is. If I don't use display zoom, I can't see the UI because it's too small on a 4k display. Are there any fixes for this to let me render the viewport at native resolution while keeping the UI in it's ugly, blurry state?

EDIT: Here's what I'm talking about

Windows calls it Scaling and Text in Display Settings. I generally use 150% scaling. When I use 150% scaling, my viewport is blurry. When I use 100% scaling, my viewport is clear.

Here's an example at 150%. If you look at the original image, you can see that it's blurry.

Here's an example at 100%. If you look at the original image, you can see that it's clear.

Here's a closer look.

100%

150%

The text could be blurry I just want the viewport to be clear. Any suggestions?

Post edited by bigbadzone on

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited December 2022

When I use display zoom

What's display zoom ? "Display Zoom" doesn't exist written that way except something about the iPhone for what I can see on Google.

Please be more precise about what is that "zoom" you're using, Windows Magnifier ?

it's too small on a 4k display

Window > Style > Select Style

You'll get a couple options there that might help. 

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • bigbadzonebigbadzone Posts: 11
    edited December 2022

hansolocambo said:

When I use display zoom

What's display zoom ? "Display Zoom" doesn't exist written that way except something about the iPhone for what I can see on Google.

Please be more precise about what is that "zoom" you're using. Some kind of Windows Magnifier ?

I specified I was using Windows, Windows calls it Scaling and Text in Display Settings. I generally use 150% scaling. When I use 150% scaling, my viewport is blurry. When I use 100% scaling, my viewport is clear.

Here's an example at 150%. If you look at the original image, you can see that it's blurry.

Here's an example at 100%. If you look at the original image, you can see that it's clear.

Here's a closer look.

100%

150%

it's too small on a 4k display

Window > Style > Select Style

You'll get a couple options there that might help. 

The text and images on the UI are still very small on a 4k display without scaling on every one of those options. You can see that in the second example I've attached.

I have a pretty capable GPU, and find the difference in render speed to be nominal between the 150% and 100%, so I don't benefit from the blurrier renderer. I'd prefer cleaner edges and a visible UI.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited December 2022

Windows probably upscales vector fonts. But it doesn't affect Daz 3D displays and does its best with what seems to be a software zoom, pixelated. Similar to what you get in photography between digital zoom and optical zoom.

Daz Qt framework is supposed to be something that's in the making for... quiet a while now. Maybe it's done by now ? I can't be sure as I don't have such an FHD monitor to test, but I guess lowering your screen resolution to 1920x1080 should give you crisp pixel in UI and viewport.

Or wait and hope for a UI scaling option at some point, when/if the Daz framework code is finally updated.

It's often better to get 4 1920x1080 screens than a 4k screen to work on PC.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • I think you're talking about the Windows Display setting called "Scale and Layout". Micorosft intoduced this to address issues with high reslolution monitors by enlarging UI elements only (text, buttons, windows frames, etc.) while keeping grahical elements at the resolution of the monitor.

The application has to be written to take advantage of this feature (Microsoft calls this "DPI Aware"), and DAZ Studio now does. Microsoft did make a change to the underlying logic about 2 years ago to address mutiple monitors though. I run DAZ on a 4K monitor with a display scale of 150% and everything is perfectly sharp and clear. Now if you have another monitor attached and is not the exact same resolution, you will have blurry problems. This is due to Windows will try to find a middle ground by faking the UI resolution. If you have another monitor, try disconnecting it then change the scale to 150% which is the standard for 4K monitors. Then re-boot your computer (this is when Windows will reset the mulriple monitor logic).

If you are using a zoom function in your grahics adapter settings, it will not address this probelm,

Bruce.

• brucek5 said:

I think you're talking about the Windows Display setting called "Scale and Layout". Micorosft intoduced this to address issues with high reslolution monitors by enlarging UI elements only (text, buttons, windows frames, etc.) while keeping grahical elements at the resolution of the monitor.

The application has to be written to take advantage of this feature (Microsoft calls this "DPI Aware"), and DAZ Studio now does. Microsoft did make a change to the underlying logic about 2 years ago to address mutiple monitors though. I run DAZ on a 4K monitor with a display scale of 150% and everything is perfectly sharp and clear. Now if you have another monitor attached and is not the exact same resolution, you will have blurry problems. This is due to Windows will try to find a middle ground by faking the UI resolution. If you have another monitor, try disconnecting it then change the scale to 150% which is the standard for 4K monitors. Then re-boot your computer (this is when Windows will reset the mulriple monitor logic).

If you are using a zoom function in your grahics adapter settings, it will not address this probelm,

Bruce.

Thanks bruce. I do not have an additional monitor plugged in at the moment. I've tried following the steps you've provided here and still noticing that when display scaling is on, my viewport renderer remains lower quality. I would love to know how you are getting a clear viewport when display scaling is set to 150%.

• bigbadzone said:

brucek5 said:

I think you're talking about the Windows Display setting called "Scale and Layout". Micorosft intoduced this to address issues with high reslolution monitors by enlarging UI elements only (text, buttons, windows frames, etc.) while keeping grahical elements at the resolution of the monitor.

Bruce.

Thanks bruce. I do not have an additional monitor plugged in at the moment. I've tried following the steps you've provided here and still noticing that when display scaling is on, my viewport renderer remains lower quality. I would love to know how you are getting a clear viewport when display scaling is set to 150%.

Just out of curiosity, how big is your monitor? The reason I ask is because I went from a 17" 1080p laptop to a desktop that uses a 27" 1440p monitor and I do not see any difference with regards to UI text size being too small or anything like that. Tbh, if I "needed" to go with a 4k resolution, I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 34" monitor for the exact reason that you're describing with regards to scaling.

• Attached is a partial screen capture of DAZ running on my 4K monitor. Is this better than your's?

Also attached is an application UI at 300%. Notice how sharp the text, buttons and other UI elements are.

If DAZ is not as sharp as mine, load a Microsoft application with a lot of menus, buttons and lines and see if they have blurry edges. Take screen capture and send it to this posting and I'll look at it,

Bruce,

Capture_WPF.JPG
    2210 x 1105 - 143K
    DAZ_Capture.JPG
    2637 x 1536 - 302K
  • bigbadzonebigbadzone Posts: 11
    edited December 2022

brucek5 said:

Attached is a partial screen capture of DAZ running on my 4K monitor. Is this better than your's?

Also attached is an application UI at 300%. Notice how sharp the text, buttons and other UI elements are.

If DAZ is not as sharp as mine, load a Microsoft application with a lot of menus, buttons and lines and see if they have blurry edges. Take screen capture and send it to this posting and I'll look at it,

Bruce,

Hey Bruce, looking at your screen I can tell you are definitely experiencing the same display scaling issue I am facing.

It may be hard to tell when Windows is upscaling the image, but if you try the render at 100% display scaling, you'll notice it's a lot crisper and takes a little longer to render. I'm really questioning whether or not there's a fix to this, it doesn't seem like DAZ supports display scaling on the viewport renderer.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

It's not just DS.

Many video games and countless other softwares don't scale well to 4K.

Just google "blurry 4K", you should get millions of hits for just about every type of software.

Now that 8K monitors are hitting the market expect things to get even worse.

At 8K the text will be about half the size it is on 4K at 100% scaling

Sure, the images will look better, but fixing the scaling issues needs to happen.

• Very sad to see nothing has been done about is every other software is working fine just except daz3d I am regretting getting the 4k monitor now...
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,921

injustice221998 said:

Very sad to see nothing has been done about is every other software is working fine just except daz3d I am regretting getting the 4k monitor now...

The version of the Qt framework with which Daz Studio 4 was created does not support scaling, to switch to a later version of Qt will break plug-ins 9and some scripts). Addressing the issue will 9at least) require a new major version update, and will require plug-ins to be redone for that version.