Boise Hair

JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
edited December 2022 in Freebies

I've spent the past month or so messing around in Carrara modelling various Carrara hairstyles.  Each of these is built with Carrara hair on a mesh object which I've rigged to conform to Genesis 1.  Of course it would be easy to take it into Studio and re-rig it to conform to any of the Genesis generations as needed I suppose.  In future I may experiment with Philemo's free plugin to turn these dynamic strand hairstyles into prop hair.   These hairstlyes weren't particularly designed for use with hair sims, but on the other hand there's no reason they couldn't be used with hair sims either.  I've put these up on sharecg:

https://sharecg.com/v/99742/view/5/3D-Model/Boise-Hair

And here's 22 shaders for lots of different colors for the hair:

https://sharecg.com/v/99744/view/7/Material-and-Shader/Boise-Hair-Shaders

Boise Hair is a longer hairstlye that reaches just below the shoulders, split evenly in the middle.  It's a pretty simple style.

Post edited by Jonstark on

Comments

• enlightened if you are keen you could use Philemo's plugin to whip up DAZ studio versions too

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

WendyLuvsCatz said:

enlightened if you are keen you could use Philemo's plugin to whip up DAZ studio versions too

I've never used his plugin before, but that's my thought as well, will experiment for the future if there's any interest.  For now, just going to keep putting out carrara hairstyles to refine my ability to model them, which is the main purpose.  I've created about 40 over the past several weeks, figured it would be good to put a bunch of them up as freebies.  Of course I know these hairstyles will work as-is in Octane, but I didn't make any Octane shaders for them yet, maybe I should do that to in future. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,808
    edited December 2022

Jonstark said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

enlightened if you are keen you could use Philemo's plugin to whip up DAZ studio versions too

I've never used his plugin before, but that's my thought as well, will experiment for the future if there's any interest.  For now, just going to keep putting out carrara hairstyles to refine my ability to model them, which is the main purpose.  I've created about 40 over the past several weeks, figured it would be good to put a bunch of them up as freebies.  Of course I know these hairstyles will work as-is in Octane, but I didn't make any Octane shaders for them yet, maybe I should do that to in future. 

weirdly enough now I have the 2080Ti thanks to TheMysteryIsThePoint I have not been using Octane much

rather the CPU on my Win7 with Carrara hair in the native engine while rendering in DAZ studio iray on the Win10

and doing ai crap in Stable Diffusion cheeky 

I do use the ai upscaling and interpolation on my Carrara renders though from the other machine, can get less twitchy hair that way (render 10FPS and interpolate x3)

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • These are looking very nice, I'd certanly be interested in a ds version if you ever get a chance to convert them.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Jonstark said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

weirdly enough now I have the 2080Ti thanks to TheMysteryIsThePoint I have not been using Octane much

rather the CPU on my Win7 with Carrara hair in the native engine while rendering in DAZ studio iray on the Win10

and doing ai crap in Stable Diffusion cheeky 

I do use the ai upscaling and interpolation on my Carrara renders though from the other machine, can get less twitchy hair that way (render 10FPS and interpolate x3)

I'm sort of in a similar position.  I have Octane, but never use it anymore; I've just come to prefer the Carrara native render engine, so that's what all my current efforts are geared towards.  At one time, I was dazzled by the unbiased render engines, and I do think they served an important purpose to refining my understanding and improving my knowledge of rendering, but at this point I just appreciate the look of the Carrara native renderer more.

ioonrxoon said:

These are looking very nice, I'd certanly be interested in a ds version if you ever get a chance to convert them.

Thanks, I'll count that as a vote towards interest, and some time in future I'll put aside some time to experiment in converting these hairstyles into polygon props.  I've never used that plugin and have no idea how difficult it may be, but if I'm not mistaken one of the all time great Carrara artists is PhilW, and the rumor mill is that he follows a somewhat similar workflow for some of his hairstyles, and all of his hairstyles available in the daz store look pretty great to me, so maybe there's a way to get good results. 

• unfortunately he creates strandbased dforce hair because he is a PA

we can only do polygonal hair

pity DAZ cannot make a watered down nondforce version of their PA plugin and sell it for people doing standard strand-based hair if they want to keep the dforce propitiatory

you can however try to create Blender particle hair from the exported meshes so there is that

I haven't tried but I reckon Unreal grooms would be doable too