V6 - Belle- mysterious glow

R1CH1R1CH1 Posts: 80

I really like this texture for V6.  It's actually the texture she loads with..  But.. I can't seem to figure out the mysterious glow that I get when I render with lights.  I notice the same glow happens when another figure over laps the mesh. I'm thinking that maybe  its supposed to simulate blood... maybe.. or something in the subsurface.. 

no_light.jpg
927 x 911 - 137K
Post edited by R1CH1 on

Comments

• R1CH1R1CH1 Posts: 80
    edited August 2015

The above attachment is the figure rendered as is.. with the software lighting.   And this is the fugure lit with a three point set up.  And notice what happens when the other figure protudes on the mesh.

with_light.jpg
    927 x 911 - 166K
    Post edited by R1CH1 on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864

I think this is caused by SSS scattering materials for 3Delight.

I had this issue back when I was rendering with 3Delight, try turning the SSS on the mouth off.

If you are rendering in Iray, it would be better to apply the basic G2F iray preset to the figure rather than to render with 3Delight mats I guess.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

You are using an SSS (SubSurfaceScattering) shader that needs a little tweaking to get it 'right'.

You aren't using shadows on the lights...that's the first problem.  (Should be raytraced shadows). 

The second problem is that SSS is turned ON for the internal mouth parts.

The thrid problem is that the 2 figures are probably using the same SSS group ID.

Fourth and fifth problems are the SSS scale and shading rates...both.

• R1CH1R1CH1 Posts: 80

Hey thanks.  I will check the SSS on the surface of the mouth.  By the way, what is the use of SSS?   I don't really play with those settings..  The Ray trace shadow is definitely on the fill light.  I'm not sure about the main light.  I'll check on that too.  So I should have RayTrace on my shadows  is what you're saying?

thanks again

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758

The partial issue is that light is passing through the head, (models don't have actual volume), into the oral cavity that is unseen and back-sides are letting "rays" pass-through, lighting-up the mouth. (Part of it is SSS, part of it is just the rendering component itself. It does this prior to SSS, and is something I had brought-up before. Also leads to the unnatural "glow" inside the mouth that makes the dentures bright-white.)

Check your teeth textures and see if they are "super glossy" and "beaming light reflections".

On one model, I simply put an opaque sphere in her head, to stop the light from casting-out. However, that didn't help the arm-pits and crotch and between fingers from bounce-casting the SSS pass-through. (Oclusion fixes those issues.)

You will see similar unnatural lighting from 100% shaded spots on intersecting corners of objects that are not human too. Post-editing goes a long way, but it is hard to fight glowing teeth that light-up heads like night-light covers.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Yes, shadows need to be on and raytraced for all lights.