Can't Get The Proper Textures On

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I had a simular problem with another model and posted for help here and was very pleased with the answers and results. However, the tecniques I did with the previous model doesn't seem to work this timw. I was having problems with the ear textures originally with Hivewire's house cat. Problem solved with your help. Now, I have the same problem with Hivewire's Big Cat, specifically the leopard. I also added the Black Panther texture to leopard and here is where I run into the problem. Now matter how I apply the ear hair texture, nothing happens. Same with the eyes. On top of that I can't figure out the eye lashes. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. It is loaded into Cararra through the My Daz 3D Library from the DUF file so all poses worked great. I've tried using textures from the Poser Runtime jpg's including the eye color and ear hair shaders.

Stuie

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    edited November 2022

the easiest way to fix it is to load up you your hivewire cat that has been adjusted for Carrara then save the cats shader to the shaders tab into a folder you will remember ( I created a My Shaders folder ) then delete the cat from the scene

load up your lion or leopard or panther the drag the shader you saved in the shaders tab to the leopard or whatever cat you loaded.. you will have a leopard with a house cat texture with all the trans hairs working... then in the shader room change the fur body from the house cat to the leopard by manually loading it from wherever it resides on your PC. 

then save the new shader to where you saved the cat shader but name it appropriately ( leopard, lion panther ect ) do the same for all your cats then in future it's just a matter of loading whichever cat you want and applying the shader for it. wink

Post edited by Stezza on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822
    edited November 2022

check if U is ticked under UV wrap in the vertex room too and untick it

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • StuieStuie Posts: 58

Thanks Stezza, that seem to make sense in a weird way. I'll try it tonight at home.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224

WendyLuvsCatz said:

check if U is ticked under UV wrap in the vertex room too and untick it

Stuie said:

Thanks Stezza, that seem to make sense in a weird way. I'll try it tonight at home.

Also check what Wendy's saying.

With the model selected, enter the model room. I think 'Select All' and go into UV Map section and untick "U", if it's ticked. Maps should work as expected afterwards. If so, save as a new figure name (or Carrara file).

Where is the UV Map section? Here is a screen shot from the model room.

Untitled-1.jpg
    1000 x 542 - 88K

Is this where I'm to find the "U"

Untitled-2.jpg
    468 x 1080 - 73K

Stuie said:

Is this where I'm to find the "U"

yes 

Sparrowhawk also has a plugin to untick UV but I can't find the link to it... Wendy or Bunyip may know 

Just to clarify, I untick the "Wrap UV Values"

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,699
    edited December 2022

Stezza said:

Sparrowhawk also has a plugin to untick UV but I can't find the link to it... Wendy or Bunyip may know 

Open the Laboratory link and scroll down the list.

Here's a link - http://sparrowhawke3d.com/Sparrowhawke3DLaboratory.html

UV Unwrap 1.png
    1853 x 1030 - 150K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Stuie said:

Just to clarify, I untick the "Wrap UV Values"

yep yes 

Awesome! Stuie... I really hope you get this working for you! It'll be something you'll take with you and never forget!

Just an update. I double clicked the "Fur Ears" texture, applied the trans map and then pulled it over to the ears on the model, it worked. Did the same for the eyelashes. Still can't apply the texture to the eyes. My last step and it is a problem. Do I need to rotate the eye spheres in order to see it?

As you can see, the eyes are not turning out the way I want them to.

Panther.jpg
    1163 x 675 - 132K

You probably did, but in the render room, first page top panel make sure "Light Through Transparency" is checked.

If that's right, then go back into the texture room. Find the eye moisture, eye surface, cornea... some part of the eye that doesn't have actual eye color maps applied to it.

Once found, the quick and easy way I can tell you is to:

• In the Browser, go to Shaders
    • Glass
    • Load Glass - Clear onto that surface.

Alternatively you could go for one of the water shaders. You could also just adjust the original shader to be shiny, yet transparent, but that's a whole new thing to write.

Stezza, I had these problems before with the House Cat, and you helped me out over at Hivewire. However, even back then I couldn't get the eyes right. You posted pictures of the cat with the correct eyes. Sorry to be harping on this, but I can't for the life of me get the proper eyes to work with any of the cats, House or Big Cat. Please, if it's not too much trouble, could someone give me a blow by blow listing on how to get the proper material on the eyes of Hivewire's House or Big Cat. I've tried everything everyone listed here, but somewhere I'm missing something. Again, this is loaded into Carrara through the DS library and posed correctly, proper shaders added to all things EXCEPT the eyes.

By that last image you showed us, it really looks to me like a very common issue - the one I described above.

There appears to be a layer - a film over the eyes that won't let us see the color behind it. We just need a Carrara material that is clear on that surface, then we'll see the color of the eyes behind it.

This layer is essential for all eyes. It prodides the added look of eye moisture, which also gives shine and some reflection.

In the shaders list, look for one that doesn't have any maps applied, or that just has the white look to it. 

For a good start, try replacing that shader with one from Carrara's shader browser - either Glass or Water.

Another option is to simply make that surface invisible. But that doesn't look as good.

Here's a better explanation: Character Shader Basics

There's also a more full description, including scene setup in this one:

Carrara Character Design 

edited December 2022

Check your Shaders - the Cornea is Black - needs fixing

Go to Instances Tab and click on Actor.

Next click on Shading Tab, locate Cornea.

Go to your Shaders Tab and locate your Glass Shaders - select a Clear Shader.

Drag the Shader onto your Cornea in your Shading Tab.

Do a test render

Hivewire Cat 1.png
    2709 x 1040 - 481K
    Hivewire Cat 2.png
    2854 x 1033 - 542K
    Hivewire Cat 3.png
    2892 x 1033 - 892K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Damn, that was too easy. I duoble clicked the cornea shader, but instead of dragging the glass over to it, I just adjusted the transparency option to 100% in the texture properties. Thanks so much for everyones help. (Dartanbeck, Bunyip02, Stezza). Looks so much better.

Panther Final.jpg
    1163 x 675 - 132K

great work @Stuie

also don't forget to apply normal maps in the bump channel for the fur .. wink

Stezza said:

great work @Stuie

also don't forget to apply normal maps in the bump channel for the fur .. wink

+1 yes