Making Environment Interactable [Resolved]

edited November 2022 in New Users

Hello,

I have been using Daz 3D on an off over the past few years but nothing consitant, recently i gotten in to building enviroments for renders.

I have been working on a house, and i have obtained objects from various sources. Some being from the Daz store others being 3rd party places such as sharecg.com to name one; My house looks okay as renders on their own but thinking about doing actual renders with figures and i realised that none of the objects in the house are interactable, sure i can pick up small things such as cups, plates and other random small objects, but lets say i want a door to be opened on a kitchen cuboard i dont seem to be able to do this.

None of the objects have any features in the transformation section to open / close things on the object. I can see some objects are rendered internally, and i can see in the surfaces tab that it can directly list the broken down elements of the object.(door, sideboard etc.) suggesting it knows the different elements.

Is there a way to change this, for example, in blender you can cut a peice of a object out and have it as a seperate node, that can then be positioned differently to the rest of the object is there something like this in Daz?.

Thanking you all in advance.

Post edited by bobby.bates_a9d2c14faf on

Comments

• Assuming that the model isn't justa  holow shell you can use Edit>Object>Rigging>Convert prop To Figure to make it into a figure, then use the Geometry Editor to select areas and (via right-click>Geoemtry Assignment>Cretae Group from Selected) turn each part into a group. Use the Joint Editor right-click>Create>sub menu to create child or sibling bones to build up the correct hierarchy, and finally select each bone in turn, enable the use the Node Weightmap Brush tool, select the map in Tool settings, and use the right-click menus to select by group and fill with weight. You should then hae a posable figure.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,251

it would probably be way easier to just go into Blender - > Edit -> separate by material -> export isolated doors/windows etc obj and bring into Daz as required as separate objects.

Rotate/transform the independent objects accordingly.

• lilweep said:

it would probably be way easier to just go into Blender - > Edit -> separate by material -> export isolated doors/windows etc obj and bring into Daz as required as separate objects.

That would still rquir one step (which I missed) - adjusting the joint centrs, with the Joint editor, to the point about which the item should pivot.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Assuming that the model isn't justa  holow shell you can use Edit>Object>Rigging>Convert prop To Figure to make it into a figure, then use the Geometry Editor to select areas and (via right-click>Geoemtry Assignment>Cretae Group from Selected) turn each part into a group. Use the Joint Editor right-click>Create>sub menu to create child or sibling bones to build up the correct hierarchy, and finally select each bone in turn, enable the use the Node Weightmap Brush tool, select the map in Tool settings, and use the right-click menus to select by group and fill with weight. You should then hae a posable figure.

Ah, i think i missed some steps then lol i did the convert to figure but didnt realise i had to do the geo assigment, after creating as figure i tried to use Joint editor and it didnt work, so i will try with the additional steps and see how it pans out thank you.

lilweep said:

To be honest I thought having to go via blender might have been the best or easiest method, but i wasn't quite sure if I could send to blender, do I need some kind of addon for it? or is there a way to export the object in some way or does blender just read the .duf files?

Richard Haseltine said:

That would still rquir one step (which I missed) - adjusting the joint centrs, with the Joint editor, to the point about which the item should pivot.

I will make sure to look at this as well. Thank you to all 3 that responded, it's given me some options to look at now, hopefully it adds some interactivity between my model and the environment :)