Other People's Files

I was just going through some Bryce files on my computer and found some that I didn't remember creating.  One had the name Chris333 so I figured that these were other people's files that they shared.  (some are br5 and br6)

I was wondering if it is ok to use these files to create an image with or is that unethical?  Not all of them have identifying names.  What parts of the files can I use (mats, etc.) or should I not use any parts of them?

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750

I would think that if people shared files publicly or in the forum, that you would then be allowed to make renders and to modify them. If they shared personally (which you may not remember), they may have indicated whether it is allowed to use them. But you don't know that. If you have stolen them, however, ..... devil

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,793

Oh no, would never steal them.  I know what it's like to have your art stolen.

Thanks for your input Hansmar.  Some of these files have some very cool mats in them so I wondered.  Didn't want to do anything unethical.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

I agree with Hansmar. The source file of artwork is often shared to show how certain things can be done. The main thing is not to sell parts or all of it. If it is a purchased set, it must neither be sold nor given as a freebie.

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,793

Thanks for the input Horo.