The I Miss the Old Days Complaint Thread

Comments

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

Rezca, sorry about the loss of your Grandfather.

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

kyoto kid, you may want to contact your local Senior and Disabled Services about getting a free air condiitioner installed. Oregon passed a law a year or so ago authorizing the State to buy air conditioners for seniors and vulnerable disabled people. Landlords can neither bloc or retaliate, but I would still consider giving the a heads up if you trust them.

I just started my application process today. It was all handled over the phone.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,704
    edited August 2023

PerttiA said:

kyoto kid said:

PerttiA said:

kyoto kid said:

..actually that is what I do and then wrap it around my neck (need ot double up a towl so it doesn't soak into the pillow when I go to bed..

Was 102° here today tomorrow (Monday), 107ª, 104° on Tuesday and 100° on Wednesday.  20:35 right now and still 90“.

You should move up here, the temperatures should be around 20C (68F) this week and going down to 15C (60F) next week. End of summer is here. 

...Canada correct?

Nope, Finland... Santa, flying reindeers, cheap internet, cheap healthcare, 180 000 lakes and some 830 miles of border with Russia. 

....most definitely cannot emigrate there.  Can't even afford to travel half way across the States let alone to Europe. I'm of Ukrainian and Polish descent with not even a smidge of Finnish.

The sun  sets in Helsinki over an hour and 18 minutes earlier than in Portland, and rises nearly an hour and a half later. Helsinki only has 6 hours of  daylight in winter whereas  Portland has nearly 10 hours.  Too depressing.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Zylox said:

kyoto kid, you may want to contact your local Senior and Disabled Services about getting a free air condiitioner installed. Oregon passed a law a year or so ago authorizing the State to buy air conditioners for seniors and vulnerable disabled people. Landlords can neither bloc or retaliate, but I would still consider giving the a heads up if you trust them.

I just started my application process today. It was all handled over the phone.

...my apartment building was part of a programme for distributing free air conditioners, but on my meagre income I could not afford the high power bill to run one,. Already being gouged bad enough in winter when  I have to depend on one of those very inefficient in wall heaters to stay warm.

..ugh not only a 102° day today but also having to endure moderate smoke from two major wildfires in the south Willamette valley.

Such a beautiful summer we were having which suddenly turned unbearable.

The entire I-5 corridor from Northern California by Dunsmuir to the Canadian border is a red flag fire zone. All it takes is one careless or stupid person to spark a major blaze like happened in 2017 when a teenager sparked a fast growing fire by playing with fireworks in the western Columbia Gorge during similar conditions. I remember watching the ash falling like snow in Portland.

Was hoping we'd get through the summer withuout either extreme heat or fires and it looked very possible until this past weekend.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,377
    edited August 2023

Complaint: A frog outside the window of my office is making the loudest croak I ever heard.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,021
    edited August 2023

@koyoto kid
    I get what you said about the power bill, but maybe only run it in extreme circumstances...

I'll be really pissed off at you if I were to find out you'd become a stiff, are bereft of life, restin' peace, if they hadn't nailed ya' to the chair you'd be pushing up daisies, that yer metabolic process are now 'isrory, You're off the twig, kicked the bucket, shuffled off yer mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible because of a heat related affliction like death or something.

I'd kind of call 102° F (I'm hoping not Celsius or Rømer*) an extreme circumstance... you don't have to even make the temperature a comfortable level... just not life threatening... at least something acceptable for the transport of livestock... 

Freezing to death sucks, but so does dying of heat stroke... in fact, dying in general should be avoided if at all possible unless one has some serious haunting or poltergeistic revenge planned (granted, it does seem like fun in the beginning, but the novelty wears off real quick if you are bound to a certain location).

Please consider getting one of those air conditioners when or if you still can... you don't want to go belly up and start stinking up the place and staining the ceiling of the apartment below... and if you really want to do those two things, just stop using the toilet for your excretory functions, it'll accomplish that task a lot less fatally.

*Water Boils at 60°Rø (212°F/100°C) and Lithium melts at a little over 102°Rø, so I'm assuming you meant Fahrenheit... unless your lithium-magnesium alloy armor is starting to get all noodley... that could be a problem...) 

Post edited by McGyver on
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025
    edited August 2023

First off - Rezca , condolences.

Secondly, Its been a good 50 years since I heard anyone reference the Rømer scale.....

*Water Boils at 60°Rø (212°F/100°C) and Lithium melts at a little over 102°Rø, so I'm assuming you meant Fahrenheit... unless your lithium-magnesium alloy armor is starting to get all noodley... that could be a problem...) 

Post edited by hacsart on

hacsart said:

First off - Rezca , condolences.

Secondly, Its been a good 50 years since I heard anyone reference the Rømer scale.....

I would have mentioned Newton scale, but since it's a little higher comparatively, and because like 96°N is the temperature lead melts at (621.5°F/327.7°C), 102°N would be too high... I figured most of the apartment would be a bubbling molten amalgamation of various boiling compounds, so it probably would be a moot point... I feel KK could probably tough it out to molten lithium, but lead would be a lot more uncomfortable... maybe if he had glass of cold lemonade or a York Peppermint Patty, he could pull it off... you never know.

it was back in University as part of a Thermodynamics course - prof had a "history of heat" lecture that covered the invention and lgic of all the different termperature scales.. there's the  Delisle scale that's inverted  - the higher the number, the colder..  boiling point of water at 0 , freezing point at 150..

edited August 2023

I couldn't remember the Delisle scale... I knew there was one that was inverted, but forgot the name... have no idea where I picked up the other two, probably in relation to something I was writing or it was work related... more likely work, but not for use in it, as some trivia information indirectly related to casting metals (I think Newton's scale was once used by metallurgists or smiths)... I think there are a couple of other antiquated temperature scales from around the same time, but I can't remember them.

I should probably look it up before I forget... it might be useful if I have to melt niobium or palladium in an emergency or something... especially if I accidentally find myself in the 1700s and I need to cast a eutectic High-Entropy Alloy superconductor coil for my damaged Temporal Decoherence Rectifier... The recursion vanes on those things are practically disposable and they always crack the stupid HEAS coils when it's least convenient.

EDIT: I found the other two I was thinking of...

Réaumur Scale... Very similar to Celsius (0°C = 0°Ré) and was widely used until the mid-19th century in Europe... it is still used to measure milk temperatures in cheese factories in Italy and Switzerland... Never would have remembered that without looking it up and definitely would never have spelled it remotely correctly.

Rankine Scale... (0°C = 491.67°R) used in thermodynamic calculations in the late 1800s.. Too close to Rankin/Bass animation... (stop motion Adolf the Red Nose Reindeer, holiday cartoons like Frosty The Snowman and specials like The Hobbit, etc...) 

I'm actually impressed I got the "ø" in Rømer correct... or didn't call it "Roper" as in Mr. Roper from Three's Company.

EDIT-EDIT... I just noticed spellcheck changed "Rudolf" to "Adolf"... but I'm leaving it... Adolf was was Rudolf's cousin... he didn't have a shiny nose... but his weird little mustache and rantings about world domination caused him to be shunned by all the other reindeer.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,945

the deli aisle scale?

sounds like self serve cold cuts

Grandad was a farrier, and I can remember him showing me his "working" temperature scale, based on the color the heated iron turned...

McGyver said:

... (I think Newton's scale was once used by metallurgists or smiths)... .

hacsart said:

Grandad was a farrier, and I can remember him showing me his "working" temperature scale, based on the color the heated iron turned...

McGyver said:

... (I think Newton's scale was once used by metallurgists or smiths)... .

That's cool... well, conceptually "cool", not thermodynamically cool... hopefully the metal was cool by the time the horse got to wear it... I think with Newton's scale some of the temps actually relate to visual glow levels... like how bright in dark, shade or daylight a hot metal appears... or maybe that's something different about radiation or mutant fireflies... 

I wish my brain still worked.

edited August 2023

Actually, the first fit of a new shoe is done hot.. The shoe burns the hoof keratin and shows how much adjustment the shoe needs to fit correctly..  Grandad came over to Canada after WWI - he was a farrier-corporal in the British Army. Raised me after my father died when I was 6, and my mother ran off with a sailor..., taught me a lot of things... Staunch Lancashire man, he was..

Post edited by hacsart on

hacsart said:

Actually, the first fit of a new shoe is done hot.. The shoe burns the hoof keratin and shows how much adjustment the shoe needs to fit correctly..  Grandad came over to Canada after WWI - he was a farrier-corporal in the British Army. Raised me after my father died when I was 6, and my mother ran off with a sailor..., taught me a lot of things... Staunch Lancashire man, he was..

you had a tough childhood broken heart  hugs heart

Thanks.. yeah, it had its moments.. but the old gaffer instilled in me a few things that carried over from his cavalry day - your word is your bond, loyalty, honour, etc..and how to ride and fence sabre, among other things.. :)

edited August 2023

McGyver said:

@koyoto kid
    I get what you said about the power bill, but maybe only run it in extreme circumstances...

I'll be really pissed off at you if I were to find out you'd become a stiff, are bereft of life, restin' peace, if they hadn't nailed ya' to the chair you'd be pushing up daisies, that yer metabolic process are now 'isrory, You're off the twig, kicked the bucket, shuffled off yer mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible because of a heat related affliction like death or something.

I'd kind of call 102° F (I'm hoping not Celsius or Rømer*) an extreme circumstance... you don't have to even make the temperature a comfortable level... just not life threatening... at least something acceptable for the transport of livestock... 

Freezing to death sucks, but so does dying of heat stroke... in fact, dying in general should be avoided if at all possible unless one has some serious haunting or poltergeistic revenge planned (granted, it does seem like fun in the beginning, but the novelty wears off real quick if you are bound to a certain location).

Please consider getting one of those air conditioners when or if you still can... you don't want to go belly up and start stinking up the place and staining the ceiling of the apartment below... and if you really want to do those two things, just stop using the toilet for your excretory functions, it'll accomplish that task a lot less fatally.

...yes I meant "F"..

First of all the heat wave is over.  all of the last few days(daytime) I spent elsewhere in air conditioned comfort. (including that Monday when it reached 108°). Also temperatures are falling back to normal for this area (heat waves don't last very long here as they do in other parts of the country) and it isn't anywhere near as humid as Wisconsin or New Orleans (both of which I lived in).  Finally, I'm heading to the Washington State coast for next week where it will be in the upper 60s to low 70s for the week long International kite Festival at the "other" Long Beach (planned a couple months ago). 

As I mentioned I was also able to get my dual window fan unit working again (which has reversible motors so I have it pulling the hot air out in the day and then switch it to bring cooler air in at night) and that has been a major help.  I also do the "swamp cooler" thing which works just about as good as AC for the few really hot days we get.  My place si small so it actually cools it nicely I'm also on the east side of the building so I my apartment is in shade during the hottest part fo the day (16:30 - 17:00).

Just glad I don't live in Austin where it's been above 100° for over a month as well as humid or Arizona where they had a month of temperatures over 110° (F).

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,294

Sorry I can't contribute any thermal measurement scale information..sad  That topic runs hot and cold with me.indecision 

But I did hear about the two original cavemen, Ogg and Charlie, who started the ball rolling when Ogg slipped on the ice in front of his cave and fell onto the  flaming torch he was carrying.  His memorable words were "Ice cold.  Fire hot!"  Thus began the science of thermodynamics.yes

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,294
    edited August 2023

kyoto kid said:

... Finally, I'm heading to the Washington State coast for next week where it will be in the upper 60s to low 70s for the week long International kite Festival at the "other" Long Beach (planned a couple months ago). ...

Wheee... a kite adventure.yes  It's been half a century and half a score since I flew a kite.  Do kites now carry TV cameras and laser weapons?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,852

@Rezca sorry for your lost of your grandfather.

kyoto kid said:.

...yes I meant "F"..

First of all the heat wave is over.  all of the last few days(daytime) I spent elsewhere in air conditioned comfort. (including that Monday when it reached 108°). Also temperatures are falling back to normal for this area (heat waves don't last very long here as they do in other parts of the country) and it isn't anywhere near as humid as Wisconsin or New Orleans (both of which I lived in).  Finally, I'm heading to the Washington State coast for next week where it will be in the upper 60s to low 70s for the week long International kite Festival at the "other" Long Beach (planned a couple months ago). 

As I mentioned I was also able to get my dual window fan unit working again (which has reversible motors so I have it pulling the hot air out in the day and then switch it to bring cooler air in at night) and that has been a major help.  I also do the "swamp cooler" thing which works just about as good as AC for the few really hot days we get.  My place si small so it actually cools it nicely I'm also on the east side of the building so I my apartment is in shade during the hottest part fo the day (16:30 - 17:00).

Just glad I don't live in Austin where it's been above 100° for over a month as well as humid or Arizona where they had a month of temperatures over 110° (F).

Well, I'm glad you aren't boiling... also I hope you got that I was lightheartedly expressing concern in a decidedly dark humored manner, but also retrofitting a key part of the Dead Parrot sketch for that application so as to lighten it a bit...
    Sometimes (more often than not) I say or write stuff and it doesn't come out the way it was intended... Especially when I jump out of a closet or shrub wearing a gorilla costume to say it... (but since mice destroyed most of the costume except for the mask, that's not really so much of an issue anymore)... but yeah, I hope that wasn't too dark humored.

Stay cool.

LeatherGryphon said:

kyoto kid said:

... Finally, I'm heading to the Washington State coast for next week where it will be in the upper 60s to low 70s for the week long International kite Festival at the "other" Long Beach (planned a couple months ago). ...

Wheee... a kite adventure.yes  It's been half a century and half a score since I flew a kite.  Do kites now carry TV cameras and laser weapons? 

...been a while for myself as well. I used to to travel to kite festivals not just here on the west coast as but other areas  of the country (back when I made good money doing multimedia development).  I was able to keep it up afterwards until just after 2000 when it just became too expensive and screwy to travel by air, along with regional transit in my area having disappeared.

I wouldn't even be going this year had it nor for a a friend who has a beach house in Long Beach (the one in Washington State) and another friend will be driving me there (as well as back) who sill be staying the entire week as well.  Rally looking forward to it.  Temperatures in the upper 60s - low 70s, good winds and clear skies all week. 

Also looking  to reconnect with a few old kite flying friendsI haven't seen in years while I'm there.

AS to cameras on kites, kite photography has been around for quite a while. These days I would expect that people attach Go Pros to them. 

There were also "man lifting kites" (large kites that looked more like tethered biplanes) which were used to lift recognisance observers in a basket back in the early 20th century. 

edited August 2023

McGyver said:

kyoto kid said:.

...yes I meant "F"..

Well, I'm glad you aren't boiling... also I hope you got that I was lightheartedly expressing concern in a decidedly dark humored manner, but also retrofitting a key part of the Dead Parrot sketch for that application so as to lighten it a bit...
    Sometimes (more often than not) I say or write stuff and it doesn't come out the way it was intended... Especially when I jump out of a closet or shrub wearing a gorilla costume to say it... (but since mice destroyed most of the costume except for the mask, that's not really so much of an issue anymore)... but yeah, I hope that wasn't too dark humored.

Stay cool.

..ah no harm, I love your writings as they always tend to lighten my day.

...Oooh page 99.

...The Go Fly A Kite Complaint Thread.
    ...The Please Turn Off The Planetary Broiler Complaint Thread.
    ...The World Is Already Half Baked Complaint Thread.
    ...The WIldfire Smoke Gets In My Eyes, My Nose, My Lungs Complaint Thread.
    ...The Where Did I Put That Box Of N-95 Masks Complaint Thread.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,585

I have a complaint disguised as a suggestion. There should be some kind of rule that whoever gets to rename the thread can't be somebody who did more than one post in a row.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,377
    edited August 2023

kyoto kid said:

...Oooh page 99.

...The Go Fly A Kite Complaint Thread.
    ...The Please Turn Off The Planetary Broiler Complaint Thread.
    ...The World Is Already Half Baked Complaint Thread.
    ...The WIldfire Smoke Gets In My Eyes, My Nose, My Lungs Complaint Thread.
    ...The Where Did I Put That Box Of N-95 Masks Complaint Thread.

I got COPD, and what you said made me start coughing. 

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

NylonGirl said:

I have a complaint disguised as a suggestion. There should be some kind of rule that whoever gets to rename the thread can't be somebody who did more than one post in a row.

...I just suggest names.  I rarely if ever win the thread because usually it rolls over when I'm asleep or not at home.

BTW  I will be AWOL from the Forums and Daz Store for a week beginning this coming Monday as like I mentioned I will be at the Washington State coast and will only have my phone for Net access. I hate trying to read anything "long winded" on that tiny screen or trying to type on that tiny virtual keypad (I commit more than enough typos on a full sized keybaord the way it is).  Also I don't have access to MS Word which I use to type and spell check my posts before pasting them into the response window (also helps avoid losing everything when a bad gateway or server error pops up the middle of what I am typing)

kyoto kid said:

NylonGirl said:

...I just suggest names.  I rarely if ever win the thread because usually it rolls over when I'm asleep or not at home.

BTW  I will be AWOL from the Forums and Daz Store for a week beginning this coming Monday as like I mentioned I will be at the Washington State coast and will only have my phone for Net access. I hate trying to read anything "long winded" on that tiny screen or trying to type on that tiny virtual keypad (I commit more than enough typos on a full sized keybaord the way it is).  Also I don't have access to MS Word which I use to type and spell check my posts before pasting them into the response window (also helps avoid losing everything when a bad gateway or server error pops up the middle of what I am typing)

I avoid these things like the plague, I try not to start popular threads either and certainly don't subscribe to them if they gain views 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,746

Complaint; With the forums being so quiet, I have to find some work to pass the time. 3 more hours until I get off...

This discussion has been closed.