The I Miss the Old Days Complaint Thread

Comments

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

McGyver said:

I only wear my old patrol style camo cap and expensive name-brand baseball style caps I find floating in the ocean... you'd be surprised how many rich people lose their hats while boating which end up washing ashore... unless they have things living in them or they are seriously trashed or rotted out, usually you can just throw them in the wash and you got yourself a nice $60-$80 designer cap, with superb weathering and wavebeaten softness...

Also canvas shoes seem to be a thing too... but never in pairs or the right size... I don't collect those, and I'm fully expecting to find one with half a foot in it one day.

And similar to TJohn I only ever wear my caps forward and generally only in the rain.

Caps... not random shoes found in the dunes.

Wearing shoes backwards or sideways sounds uncomfortable, but I guess if it's for fashion...

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,112

WendyLuvsCatz said:

McGyver said:

I only wear my old patrol style camo cap and expensive name-brand baseball style caps I find floating in the ocean... you'd be surprised how many rich people lose their hats while boating which end up washing ashore... unless they have things living in them or they are seriously trashed or rotted out, usually you can just throw them in the wash and you got yourself a nice $60-$80 designer cap, with superb weathering and wavebeaten softness...

Also canvas shoes seem to be a thing too... but never in pairs or the right size... I don't collect those, and I'm fully expecting to find one with half a foot in it one day.

And similar to TJohn I only ever wear my caps forward and generally only in the rain.

Caps... not random shoes found in the dunes.

ah found clothing

I acquired a nice footy scarf discarded at a stadium once and as it was cold I wore it only to discover later the reason it was discarded was because it had vomit on it 

Ewww!

Dana 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,267
    edited February 2023

I had an unresolved baseball cap once.surprise  Bought it at EPCOT, British pavilion, Scottish goods store.  A Deerstalker hat such as often depicted on Sherlock Holmes.cool

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,658
    edited February 2023

...listening to my all time favourite Beatles album 

...my other favourite by the "Fab Four" 

...yeah old fogy reminiscing  What ever happened to good old fashioned love songs?  So much nicer than what I hear today.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,658

TJohn said:

Baseball caps for me, always forward. I don't think I've ever worn one backwards. Here in my part of Tennessee you don't see that many people wearing caps that way, not even kids. I've got a wool cap I wear in really cold weather. When I was in college and for many years after I kept my hair long, never wore anything on my head unless it was raining. Then my hair turned gray and then it turned loose. crying

...I have an old school Milwaukee Brewers baseball cap  

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,112

kyoto kid said:

...yeah old fogy reminiscing  What ever happened to good old fashioned love songs?  So much nicer than what I hear today.

Dana 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,449

kyoto kid said:

Love songs seem to be about all that I hear today (and mostly not nice ones, no). Whatever happened to people singing about society, or politics, or really anything else? I guess the young ones are too scared and frustrated to get into it all ... 

edited February 2023

kyoto kid said:

Sixty years ago my parents used to say that.frown 

edited February 2023

Oops, double post!  $#@%$#!#@&## forum service.frown

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,040

kyoto kid said:

yesyes 

• LeatherGryphon said:

Don't refresh the posting page.

edited February 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Don't refresh the posting page.

It's habit.  If they don't respond quickly, I push elevator and traffic light buttons twice also.blush  Almost as effective as simply thinking about it.wink

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I finally found it.  The YouTube clip from the movie "Dangerous Moonlight" that featured the made-for-a-movie, piano music "Warsaw Concerto".  Wonderfully, emotive music.yes  Similar in a way to Rachmaninoff.  I'm not sure, but the story that I heard was that they tried to get Rachmanonoff, but he declined so they called on Richard Addensel and he came up with the "Warsaw Concerto".  Not really a difficult piece to play.  I knew it all at one time, but it has long evaporated from my little gray cells.

edited February 2023

Um:  1933..., It was a different time.surprise  (watch the 2nd skit at 0:52)  [click the "Watch On YouTube" text]

Until Steve Martin revived it in '77.indecision 

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787
    edited February 2023

tsroemi said:

Love songs seem to be about all that I hear today (and mostly not nice ones, no). Whatever happened to people singing about society, or politics, or really anything else? I guess the young ones are too scared and frustrated to get into it all ... 

It's possible that you just haven't been looking in the right places. They are out there. I can't post links to a lot of them because my post would be deleted. If you want, you can search YouTube for the artist Randy Rainbow or the topics songs about Ukraine War or Black Lives Matter songs. You can also find songs from the other side of the political spectrum as well.

Here are some less controversial songs.

It's natural for us to prefer music from our teens and young adulthood and it's too easy to slip into the mindset of the earlier generations we rebelled against, thinking the new music isn't good or they don't sing about things which are important anymore. For me, the music from the late '70s and early to mid '80s are special because that's when I was in highschool and a young adult. However, there is good music from both before and after that time period, we just have to keep an open mind and look for it.

Post edited by Zylox on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,563

tsroemi said:

I don't know about the other genres of music but as far as Hip Hop/Rap and R&B/Soul music go,  I think the problem is the artists who make the music are a completely separate group from the people who control the music industry. Because it doesn't matter how talented you are if nobody knows you exist, so promotion and distribution dictate the art itself. There was a time when Rap music artists were complaining that the only people who were getting signed to new record deals were the ones whose lyrics were about sex and violence, and if this didn't change, one day the only rap music you'd hear would be about sex and violence. This seems to have come true, but it doesn't mean the music or the people who made it only care about those things. Just the people who decide what you see and hear have decided this is the picture they want to paint of those people. Somewhere right now, there is probably a 16 year old Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin, or perhaps MC Hammer, and none of them can get signed to a record deal because they won't sing "shake that booty" or "rob that store".

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,822

I wish I was more productive today?

edited February 2023

Complaint:  Owww..., hand mixing that stiff, heavy, cookie dough yesterday, has done-in my hands, elbows and shoulders.crying  They haven't had exercise like that for months.  Sore muscles and aggravated arthritis.frown  And my hips, knees, ankles, and feet are complaining along with the top half, because of the two walks to the grocery store in the last few days, and standing in the kitchen for hours dealing with the construction of cookies.  Ow.  Getting old sucks.sad

Non-complaint:  The cookies are heaven.smiley  [Diet, what diet?]blush

If I want a picture of a guy, I would like it be where is brain is stored (aka his head!)

edited February 2023

Zylox said:

tsroemi said:

It's possible that you just haven't been looking in the right places. They are out there. I can't post links to a lot of them because my post would be deleted. If you want, you can search YouTube for the artist Randy Rainbow or the topics songs about Ukraine War or Black Lives Matter songs. You can also find songs from the other side of the political spectrum as well.

Here are some less controversial songs.

It's natural for us to prefer music from our teens and young adulthood and it's too easy to slip into the mindset of the earlier generations we rebelled against, thinking the new music isn't good or they don't sing about things which are important anymore. For me, the music from the late '70s and early to mid '80s are special because that's when I was in highschool and a young adult. However, there is good music from both before and after that time period, we just have to keep an open mind and look for it.

Hi, thanks for the links and your well-thought out reply! Of course I know Randy Rainbow, I wasn't talking about parodies. And maybe it's really more about what is actually played and hitlisted than what people write. Still, Owl City ain't really that 'young', are they (loved Fireflies or what it was called, back in the day ...) And I guess I was also thinking more in terms of critical music (the Owl City lyrics actually bothered me quite a bit, they seemed so flat. It WAS the end for the guy who killed himself, wasn't it? And my little self, having been left behind by a dad as well, didn't feel very comforted by these shallow lines either. But that's neither here nor there I guess).

Still, you're right of course, we are nostalgic for the music that we connect to happy times and tend to think it was better. In some respects, it actually was, though. Considering the sound levels, for instance. I think it was even in a thread here that someone pointed out how the songs today have all their sound on about the same constant level, singing, instruments, etc, which is pretty loud. By contrast, songs from before the heavily digitalized age were much more nuanced. That does seem better to me, musically speaking.

I've also gotten very cautious with certain types of rap, hip hop and latino style music, because the sexism there seems absolutely rampant to me. So it might well be that I'm missing real interesting pieces there.

Post edited by tsroemi on

NylonGirl said:

tsroemi said:

I don't know about the other genres of music but as far as Hip Hop/Rap and R&B/Soul music go,  I think the problem is the artists who make the music are a completely separate group from the people who control the music industry. Because it doesn't matter how talented you are if nobody knows you exist, so promotion and distribution dictate the art itself. There was a time when Rap music artists were complaining that the only people who were getting signed to new record deals were the ones whose lyrics were about sex and violence, and if this didn't change, one day the only rap music you'd hear would be about sex and violence. This seems to have come true, but it doesn't mean the music or the people who made it only care about those things. Just the people who decide what you see and hear have decided this is the picture they want to paint of those people. Somewhere right now, there is probably a 16 year old Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin, or perhaps MC Hammer, and none of them can get signed to a record deal because they won't sing "shake that booty" or "rob that store".

Yes, that seems to correlate closely to what I feel is going on, and why I basically stopped listening to certain types of music, like I wrote above. I didn't think about the reasons though, so thanks for giving me some background here!  

I don't listen to some "Christian" music because it is like romance songs thinly veiled as Christian.  Some are just so blasé.

Wow...a whole 10 % off today's Featured Artists in the President's Day Sale. frown

TJohn said:

Wow...a whole 10 % off today's Featured Artists in the President's Day Sale. frown

Move the decimal point!  No not 1% off, but 100% off sounds better to me!  devil 

edited February 2023

Complaint:  I've found my diet again.frown  My treasonous bathroom scale told me I was approaching my "red-line" (200#) again.sad  I blame the scale.  But just in case, I've dusted off my diet again, 'cause my belt is in agreement with the scale.no  But at least my new red-line is 50 pounds smaller than it used to be.  Now if I could just get rid of  another 12 pounds again to get back to my modern low-weight of 185 lbs.  Gotta be ready to ride "TRON" if I ever go to Disney World again.  Or "The Mummy" or that new big Jurassic coaster at Universal Studios, Orlando.  Last time I was down there, 10 years ago, I was unable to ride some attractions because I didn't fit in the seats.surprisecrying

Non-Complaint:  If I ever go back to Orlando, there will be a whole brand new park.surprise  Universal's third park in Orlando.cool

Complaint:  If I ever get back to Orlando, I'll probably be well on my way to 80 and be told I'm too old to ride.broken heart

• LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  I've found my diet again.frown  My treasonous bathroom scale told me I was approaching my "red-line" again.sad  I blame the scale.  But just in case, I've dusted off my diet again, 'cause my belt is in agreement with the scale.no

It's the fault of all those homemade cookies. 

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  I've found my diet again.frown  My treasonous bathroom scale told me I was approaching my "red-line" (200#) again.sad  I blame the scale.  But just in case, I've dusted off my diet again, 'cause my belt is in agreement with the scale.no  But at least my new red-line is 50 pounds smaller than it used to be.  Now if I could just get rid of  another 12 pounds again to get back to my modern low-weight of 185 lbs.  Gotta be ready to ride "TRON" if I ever go to Disney World again.  Or "The Mummy" or that new big Jurassic coaster at Universal Studios, Orlando.  Last time I was down there, 10 years ago, I was unable to ride some attractions because I didn't fit in the seats.surprisecrying

Non-Complaint:  If I ever go back to Orlando, there will be a whole brand new park.surprise  Universal's third park in Orlando.cool

Complaint:  When I ever get back to Orlando, I'll probably be well on my way to 80 and be told I'm too old to ride.broken heart

If you don't want the cookies can I have them? devil 

• Charlie Judge said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  I've found my diet again.frown  My treasonous bathroom scale told me I was approaching my "red-line" again.sad  I blame the scale.  But just in case, I've dusted off my diet again, 'cause my belt is in agreement with the scale.no

The cookies are mostly harmless, it's the abusing of them that cause them to wreak revenge.

edited February 2023

TJohn said:

If you don't want the cookies can I have them? devil 

I don't deliver.  But if you drop by for tea, I have two 1-dozen ziplock bags of them in the freezer (yes, I re-packed my freezer to accomodate some of the cookies, to try to mentally hide them from myself.)  Of the 4.5 dozen in the batch, 1 dozen was given to the neighbors and I have two dozen in the freezer, which means that I ate <how many> cookies in two days?blush 

Note:  The cookies keep well in the freezer, but upon thawing, are rather dry and crispy and annoyingly crumbly.  So, after thawing, I throw a half a slice of bread into the bag overnight to moisten them up and take them closer back to their original moist, slightly crunchy, slightly chewy, self.  Mmmm... cookies...heart

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,661

LeatherGryphon said:

Charlie Judge said:

LeatherGryphon said:

The cookies are mostly harmless, it's the abusing of them that cause them to wreak revenge.

No... It's just badly calibrated scale wink

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,563

Well maybe this is my first "non-complaint". But we too have a scale. And it's an electronic one. If you stand on it then it shows your weight, but after a few seconds it shows the weight of whoever was standing on it before you. Sometimes I stand on the scale and after it shows my weight, it shows the previous weight is 14.2 pounds. And I know that means one of our cats was standing on the scale. It's a simple pleasure to me to know our cat was there.

As a side note, I noticed our all black cat used to be lighter than the black and white one, but it has somehow taken the title as heaviest cat. Maybe it ate a cookie or two.

This discussion has been closed.