Modern Chaise Lounge

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Oh...nice...can I have that at home for lounging around in the backyard?

• scathascatha Posts: 756

I wish that if people persist on using foreign words, that they actually use the correct spelling. It's a Chaise Longue... not a Lounge with a french chair.  blush

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

Not in the Untied States. 

scatha said:

I wish that if people persist on using foreign words, that they actually use the correct spelling. It's a Chaise Longue... not a Lounge with a french chair.  blush

• scathascatha Posts: 756

In the US they cannot even spell their own language (english) correctly, let alone a foreign one...

Untied States... tongue-tied is more like it.  cheeky

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724

You mean tounge-tied, Scatha.

Nice couch, Strat!

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

Spellings in Americn English is based on Slavic-germanic, British English is based on a romance language (French). So as far is spelling is concerend there are two unique ways of spelling the same word, with th esame meaning in English. 

This history lesson (and the Chaise Lounge) are free.

y'all's welcome! 

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Spellings in Americn English is based on Slavic-germanic, British English is based on a romance language (French). So as far is spelling is concerend there are two unique ways of spelling the same word, with th esame meaning in English. 

This history lesson (and the Chaise Lounge) are free.

y'all's welcome! 

Actually, it's even a bit more simple than that...American spelling is based on the way one man spelled things.  Webster's first dictionaly was what set American spelling 'in stone'.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited August 2015

I am inclined to agree with Mjc here. I believe that the Germanic/Slavic connection is more inference after the fact, than anything else. The origins of the English language in the United States can be traced back to the original 13 British colonies, after all. And, although English does have a strong French influence as a consequence of the Norman conquest, it also has been influenced by many languages, arising from the peoples that have occupied the country over the centuries. The important thing is that a language permits communication, and not who it belongs to. The important thing is that meaning isn't lost in the process.

Edit: And yes, StratDragon, lest I forget the purpose of the thread, thank you for the freebie! Its a rose no matter what you call it!

Post edited by SixDs on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Actually, strangely enough, English does have quite a few connections to the olde British languages which were spoken before the Angles and the Saxons even arrived.  Have you ever wondered, for instance, why we shorten Mother to Mum, or Father to Dad.   In Welsh  Mam is mother and Tad is Father.  Oh and Grandmother is Nain.  Just one example.

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933

Thank you, StratDragon.