AOBB's Luminous v4 for G8.1F (aka Audrey Hepburn). No materials nor textures included.

2»

Comments

• crpcrp Posts: 68
    edited November 2022

Great morph.  Thank you for this!

Tried to recreate this pic, but I think the eye material I used is too light & I have to add DOF obviously:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000030/mediaviewer/rm1247654657?ref_=nmmi_mi_all_sf_24

ah.jpeg
    1530 x 1080 - 362K
    Post edited by crp on
  • AOBBAOBB Posts: 957

@crp - thank you for your render! smiley I'm glad you like the morph. yes I still think Luminous' nose is too big, so if you want to rerender the image with DOF, then you might use this opportunity to decrease her nose and slim its ridge a bit (if you have the morphs). Anyway thank you again for posting your image here. Great fun! laugh

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited November 2022

I have a question as you are so good at sculpting. I am using the DAZ Originals Genesis 9 Head Shapes in trying to dial in the morphs to look like Debbie Harry (about 1976 - 1979) and Linda Ronstadt (also about 1976 - 1979). I am trying Debbie Harry first. In trying to dial in her nose bulb I notice if looks as if two smaller nose bulbs are fused into a larger nose bulb. There is no morph dial to do such. Is this the sort of thing you sculpt in zBrush? Have you ever sculpted in Blender? 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited November 2022

Hi nonesuch00,

Thank you for your nice words about my sculpting! smiley Yes, the bulbous part of the nose consists of two rounded pieces of cartilage that are distinct in Debbie Harry's case. If you want to see a real extreme case of such cartilage duos then check out Karl Malden's nose!

The Head Shape dials are pretty rudimentary and don't have dials for shaping precisely the tip of the nose, so you will have to resort to Zbrush or blender to get that effect. I have used blender just a bit. Be sure to switch off dynotopo in blender, otherwise the topology of your mesh will change while sculpting and you don't want that of course. I personally use just Zbrushcore but it is not available any longer since Maxon bought out Pixologic and made it obsolete. I don't like blender, so I don't use it but I think its sculpting tools have really improved and that is your best bet. Zbrush will cost you with tax around $1000 and therefore if you are not serious about sculpting, I do not recommend it.

No matter how many morph packs you have you will always end up using sculpting tools to get a good likeness. My advice would be to get all the head morph kits that are now available and make the most of them then do the rest in blender.

The DAZ store has these face morph kits:

https://www.daz3d.com/face-morph-kit-for-genesis-9

https://www.daz3d.com/twizted-face-morphs-for-genesis-9

I don't know if it is kosher to post a link to a product from another store here, so I will just give you its name and you can google it:

RDGL Genesis 9 Head Shaping by Rendogal - it rounds out quite nicely the other three morph packs.

Notice that morphs with the same name from different vendors do not necessarily affect the model in the same way, so pay attention to that.

Hope that helps. Happy sculpting! smiley

AOBB

Post edited by AOBB on

AOBB said:

Hi nonesuch00,

Thank you for your nice words about my sculpting! smiley Yes, the bulbous part of the nose consists of two rounded pieces of cartilage that are distinct in Debbie Harry's case. If you want to see a real extreme case of such cartilage duos then check out Karl Malden's nose!

The Head Shape dials are pretty rudimentary and don't have dials for shaping precisely the tip of the nose, so you will have to resort to Zbrush or blender to get that effect. I have used blender just a bit. Be sure to switch off dynotopo in blender, otherwise the topology of your mesh will change while sculpting and you don't want that of course. I personally use just Zbrushcore but it is not available any longer since Maxon bought out Pixologic and made it obsolete. I don't like blender, so I don't use it but I think its sculpting tools have really improved and that is your best bet. Zbrush will cost you with tax around $1000 and therefore if you are not serious about sculpting, I do not recommend it.

No matter how many morph packs you have you will always end up using sculpting tools to get a good likeness. My advice would be to get all the head morph kits that are now available and make the most of them then do the rest in blender.

The DAZ store has these face morph kits:

https://www.daz3d.com/face-morph-kit-for-genesis-9

https://www.daz3d.com/twizted-face-morphs-for-genesis-9

I don't know if it is kosher to post a link to a product from another store here, so I will just give you its name and you can google it:

RDGL Genesis 9 Head Shaping by Rendogal - it rounds out quite nicely the other three morph packs.

Notice that morphs with the same name from different vendors do not necessarily affect the model in the same way, so pay attention to that.

Hope that helps. Happy sculpting! smiley

AOBB

Yes, it helps very much. Thanks.

I have the free zBrushCoreMini 2021 (2021.6.5) which I think is the continuation of the zBrushCore you speak of. I will see if I can export a Genesis 9 object to it or use the GOZ bridge. I'm not sure if the GOZ bridge would work with zBrushCoreMini though. If not, no big deal as I can fiddle around in Blender. I'm mainly just curious to try scultping to see if it might be a good way for me too add morphs to Genesis 9 products in the future.  

They do have it where you can subscribe to zBrushCore for $9.95 a month. Maybe I'll try that later if I'm not all thumbs sculpting.

Oh, I'm glad ZbrushCore isn't a thing of the past...

Here is a real lifesaver product for someone who will be doing a lot of exporting and importing from and into DAZ:

https://www.daz3d.com/obj-companion

I highly recommend this product. It is great, because you don't have to switch off all the objects in the scene except for the one you want to export. You just pick the object you want to export in the scene tab and the obj companion does the rest (it just makes you save the scene first). It is an enormous timesaver and really makes my life easier. I think you would truly benefit from it.

If you feel like it, please post the images of your sculpts here or PM me if you don't want to post them publicly. I'd love to see your work - I know how hard it is to do a likeness, so I definitely won't be critical of your work. Promise! smiley

AOBB said:

Oh, I'm glad ZbrushCore isn't a thing of the past...

Here is a real lifesaver product for someone who will be doing a lot of exporting and importing from and into DAZ:

https://www.daz3d.com/obj-companion

I highly recommend this product. It is great, because you don't have to switch off all the objects in the scene except for the one you want to export. You just pick the object you want to export in the scene tab and the obj companion does the rest (it just makes you save the scene first). It is an enormous timesaver and really makes my life easier. I think you would truly benefit from it.

If you feel like it, please post the images of your sculpts here or PM me if you don't want to post them publicly. I'd love to see your work - I know how hard it is to do a likeness, so I definitely won't be critical of your work. Promise! smiley

OK, I will do that. I will have to buy the obj product at a later date though.

smileyyes

edited November 2022

There is a zBrushCoreMini introductory tutorial series from Pixologic that I'll work through 1st as I've only did very bad sculpting in Blender and that experience left me wondering how folk like you manage it. laugh

I'll post the link here in case any of your other fans are interested.

ZBrushCoreMini - Available For Download Now! - YouTube

edited November 2022

Wow, I have fans?! I'm flattered! winksmiley

What can I say - practice makes perfect. Also, don't forget to check out some anatomy for the artists tutorials! It takes a long time to get reasonably proficient in shaping heads, so don't expect super-duper results in a matter of weeks.

You will also have to become acquainted with this tutorial to create a head morph you may use properly and upload online:

Link removed

I would add that whenever you begin sculpting, zero your figure, so you don't get distorted geometry from the otherwise active HD morphs in Genesis 9 (the navel), in Genesis 8 and 8.1 - the whole mouth and teeth area.

With Genesis 9 you might have to create a morph controlled morph for the eyes. Here is how:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/assembling/tutorials/creating_morph_controlled_morphs/start

To round out and update his last tutorial - in DAZ 4.21 you will have to go into Edit mode in the Parameters tab/ morph loader for Genesis 9 eyes (right-click, select Edit Mode at the top of the menu), next, with your proper eye morph selected, go into the right-click menu again and choose "Property Hierarchy" at the bottom of the list. A pop-up window will show up - click on the arrow next to the name of your character morph (not the eye morph!) and drag the eye morph from the Parameters Tab onto "Link:" and in "Sub-components" onto 2nd Stage:  Multiply/Divide. That will link the eye morph to the character morph, so when you dial in the character ,the eyes move automatically into place. 

I am writing this from memory, so this description might be a bit wonky but I think it altogether provides enough information for you to figure the rest out.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited November 2022

AOBB said:

Thanks. I will save that tutorial. I was planning on using the base "middle of the road" Genesis 9 Base as you did for you most recent head morphs. I will load the Gen 9 Dev Base (that grey one). Should I export if without the eyes & teeth? In Blender those are easy enough to hide, but I have no ideal in zBrush Core Mini.

I have discovered my ancient and unused Bamboo Create from 2012 has only a driver from 2015 and I believe that was so long ago it was still Windows 8. No new drivers specifically for Windows 11. When i start zBrush Core Mini I get a message "Wintab Services Unavailable". I search for that message and it seems that that means everything but the pressure sensitive features of the tablet will work. Of course the pressure sensitive features are exactly what is important in the learning exercise and digital scultpting as to draw everything at the same depth is not really going to look good. I will give it ago over the next couple of weeks anyway just to learn the basics and show the results here for a good laugh. I'll then save up the money in a few months to buy a table like this one:

Amazon.com: HUION Kamvas Pro 16 Plus 4K UHD Graphics Drawing Tablet with Full Laminated Screen 145% sRGB Battery-Free Stylus PW517 for Linux, Windows PC, Mac, Android, 15.6-inch Pen Tablet Display : Electronics

I kind of like this tablet, despite it's price, because even if I wind up a bum digital sculpting; I can use it to write code with handwriting. Or at least investigate if that's possible. Another thing I want to try is to dicate code to the computer. I can one finger peck type fast enough (my code winds up better because I have longer to think about what I'm typing, and not just the 1st thought that comes to mind), I've done it my whole career, but I feel computer HW/SW should be fast enough and proficient enough to do those two things now.

• AOBB said:

What can I say - practice makes perfect. Also, don't forget to check out some anatomy for the artists tutorials! It takes a long time to get reasonably proficient in shaping heads, so don't expect super-duper results in a matter of weeks.

You will also have to become acquainted with this tutorial to create a head morph you may use properly and upload online:

Link removed

I would add that whenever you begin sculpting, zero your figure, so you don't get distorted geometry from the otherwise active HD morphs in Genesis 9 (the navel), in Genesis 8 and 8.1 - the whole mouth and teeth area.

With Genesis 9 you might have to create a morph controlled morph for the eyes. Here is how:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/assembling/tutorials/creating_morph_controlled_morphs/start

To round out and update his last tutorial - in DAZ 4.21 you will have to go into Edit mode in the Parameters tab/ morph loader for Genesis 9 eyes (right-click, select Edit Mode at the top of the menu), next, with your proper eye morph selected, go into the right-click menu again and choose "Property Hierarchy" at the bottom of the list. A pop-up window will show up - click on the arrow next to the name of your character morph (not the eye morph!) and drag the eye morph from the Parameters Tab onto "Link:" and in "Sub-components" onto 2nd Stage:  Multiply/Divide. That will link the eye morph to the character morph, so when you dial in the character ,the eyes move automatically into place. 

I am writing this from memory, so this description might be a bit wonky but I think it altogether provides enough information for you to figure the rest out.

That tutorial has some bad advice, the worst of which is baking the Daz and other third-party morphs to OBJ and loading them as a single morph. Even for single-user use this is not desirable as it loses all the links to corrective morphs and joint adjustments, but it is absolutely forbidden for characters that are to be distributed as it is not requiring the end user to own and have installed the component morphs used. The correct route is to keep the original shaping dialed in after exporting and to load the OBJ with the Reverse Deformations option on, so that only the chnages made in the modelling/sculpting application are in the new morph, then use ERC freeze to link that to the Daz/third-party morphs used.

Richard Haseltine said:

AOBB said:

Link removed

That tutorial has some bad advice, the worst of which is baking the Daz and other third-party morphs to OBJ and loading them as a single morph. Even for single-user use this is not desirable as it loses all the links to corrective morphs and joint adjustments, but it is absolutely forbidden for characters that are to be distributed as it is not requiring the end user to own and have installed the component morphs used. The correct route is to keep the original shaping dialed in after exporting and to load the OBJ with the Reverse Deformations option on, so that only the chnages made in the modelling/sculpting application are in the new morph, then use ERC freeze to link that to the Daz/third-party morphs used.

Thanks for that clarification.

Yes, thank you for this information, Richard.