CARRARA CHALLENGE #64: The Old Egypt........ Voting thread

13»

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,713

Diomede said:

I am willing to host the challenge if no one else wants to.  My preference would be to start the next challenge, but simply extend the time period longer and increase the number of permitted entries.  Instead of waiting until January 10th and running the challenge until the end of February, just start it now and run the challenge through the end of February.  Same end.  People who can't jump in until next year will still have plenty of time, while people who have time now but have events in the New Year can get started now.  

Thanks Diomede !!!

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,986

Diomede said:

I am willing to host the challenge if no one else wants to.  My preference would be to start the next challenge, but simply extend the time period longer and increase the number of permitted entries.  Instead of waiting until January 10th and running the challenge until the end of February, just start it now and run the challenge through the end of February.  Same end.  People who can't jump in until next year will still have plenty of time, while people who have time now but have events in the New Year can get started now.  

+ 1  _  something like this would be alright  +  

• Diomede said:

Thanks for stepping up!

Whether or not we wait until the new year to start is not a big deal to me.  And besides, as the host, you can mostly do what you want. :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited December 2022

Appreciate the positive response, Bunyip, ed3D, and UnifiedBrain. 

I have a theme idea which I hope people enjoy and find flexible.  I will post the basics this weekend, if not before.  Please send me any recent updates to our Daz contacts and anything they might expect from challenge coordinators.  I assume it is all pretty much as it has been, but better to make sure.  One thing I would like is to include animations and try to lure back Dudu et al.  Doesn't hurt to try.  So if it is OK with the Daz folks, I will probably structure it more like a previous hosting that had a prize for top still and a prize for top animation.  If anyone thinks that is a bad way to go, comment here or send me a PM message by clicking the little gear icon in the upper right of the forum page.  Based on this initial exchange, I am thinking the challenge should run through mid to late February at least, probably to the end of February.  Again, if anyone thinks that is a bad idea, comment here or send me a PM.

zip
    zip
    Turning Point Pipe Freebie.zip
    Post edited by Diomede on

Prizes are a bit of a contentious issue.

There is the line of thought that there should be a singular top prize, with 2nd, 3rd, 4th flowing down.

Then there are the people who digilently submit the maximum number of entries who suggest that a top prize is submitted for the maximum number of votes across the total entries they submit.

If doing Animation then there is another top prize.

Suggestion:-

$50 prize for top singular render.

$15 prize for second singular render

$50 prize for top combined votes

$15 prize for second combined votes

$50 prize for top animation

$15 prize for second animation

Could also break it down so 1st gets $40 and 2nd gets $25

Can only win once

What are peoples thoughts ?

edited December 2022

I was going to suggest a variation on the prize structure that Headwax had for the Clown challenge, which included animations.

50 - 1a - Single still image or single page of comic panels, most votes - $50   (determined before other determinations, and first option to host the next challenge)

50 - 1b - Animation, most votes - $50  (determined after single image)

50 - 1c - Challenge Artist, most votes aggregated across all entries of any kind - $50 (determined after single image and single animation)

25 - 2 - Single entry of any kind, 2nd most votes - $25 (determined after all the 1s)

20 - 3 - Single entry of any kind, 3rd most votes - $20 (determined after all the 1s and 2)

If no animations are submitted, then 1b goes to the artist with 2nd most votes aggregated across all entries (technically becomes 1d after 1c)

Ties broken by a render off.  No, just kidding.  Ties broken by (total participation among tied artists, if still tied then a coin flip or similar random for 3, 4, 5 ties).  Just thought Grimmvald's render off was a fun suggestion.

As usual, one artist can only win one prize, which is why I listed the order of determination.

Post edited by Diomede on

Hello Diomede, that prize breakdown would work well !!!

• Both of those sound good to me.

Greatest participation should always be one category.  Best single render is another.

Best animation?  I kind of doubt that I will be able to participate in the near future, but if it brings in more entries, I'm all for it.

UnifiedBrain said:

Best animation?  I kind of doubt that I will be able to participate in the near future, but if it brings in more entries, I'm all for it.

Headwax had a best animation category in the clown challenge.  It did not bring in a crowd from Carrarators but maybe worth another try.