No option for not installing the HD parts of DAZ Originals

Why does it seem like DAZ is forcing us to get the HD morphs even if we never plan to use them? I was plenty happy with them being fully optional and now I find that if I ever see a D AZ Original I want, I'm stuck with files on my hard drive I have no use for. And please don't suggest getting a bigger hard drive; I don't want them taking up space if I'm not going to do a render with them.

Comments

• PrefoXPrefoX Posts: 237

if you talk about G9, then u need them for nipples and bellybuttons, thats why

• PrefoX said:

if you talk about G9, then u need them for nipples and bellybuttons, thats why

There are basic ones included with the G9 Starter Essentials; now whether those were there initially or not, I don't know. What I'm talking about is Character Specific HD morphs, which I do not use, nor do I want taking up space on my hard drive.

edited October 2022

well then yes, it consumes space on your drives but not that much tbh. most space is used by textures. I just wonder if you never use subd then? just base resolution?

Post edited by PrefoX on
  • PrefoX said:

well then yes, it consumes space on your drives but not that much tbh. most space is used by textures. I just wonder if you never use subd then? just base resolution?

I very rarely change the default settings that a figure loads in with, which for Genesis 9 is High Resolution, View SubD 1, and Render SubD 3. 

Daywalker Designs said:

PrefoX said:

I very rarely change the default settings that a figure loads in with, which for Genesis 9 is High Resolution, View SubD 1, and Render SubD 3. 

well then you just get free details which would get lost without the HD morphs. they don't consume more vram/ram as far as I know.

• A lot of people want the HD details, and used to buy them separately. Daz presuambly thought adding them would save a step. You can delete the .dhdm files if they are taking up an unacceptable amount of space, at worst you would need to zero the HD morphs if a character loaded with them preset (and then save a new preset so you didn't need to do the same in future).

• Richard Haseltine said:

A lot of people want the HD details, and used to buy them separately. Daz presuambly thought adding them would save a step. You can delete the .dhdm files if they are taking up an unacceptable amount of space, at worst you would need to zero the HD morphs if a character loaded with them preset (and then save a new preset so you didn't need to do the same in future).

Truth be told, I'd rather have separate installers so I didn't have to go through this with each character, but I suppose I can do this if I find a figure I want. I rarely render a character "out of the box", so the added character-specific details are pointless for me. 

• PrefoX said:

Daywalker Designs said:

PrefoX said:

well then you just get free details which would get lost without the HD morphs. they don't consume more vram/ram as far as I know.

I find that the generic HD morphs I've used on Genesis 3 and Genesis 8/8.1 have been sufficient for my needs, so character-specific HD is of no use to me. That is why I'm annoyed.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

you probably won't want to install G9 at all then and save even more space wink

I rarely use HD myself as FBX export doesn't support it and Carrara my my main program of choice needs a lot of steps to use it with a plugin but it's a really trivial thing as far as drive space and almost as people are looking for something to get upset about.

(I certainly will use it the times I do DAZ studio image renders of closeups but most of what I render is animated in other software)

I still want them for those rare occasions though if it's a detailed character or creature otherwise why would you even buy more than a handful, you could just use Facetransfer.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

you probably won't want to install G9 at all then and save even more space wink

I rarely use HD myself as FBX export doesn't support it and Carrara my my main program of choice needs a lot of steps to use it with a plugin but it's a really trivial thing as far as drive space and almost as people are looking for something to get upset about.

(I certainly will use it the times I do DAZ studio image renders of closeups but most of what I render is animated in other software)

I still want them for those rare occasions though if it's a detailed character or creature otherwise why would you even buy more than a handful, you could just use Facetransfer.

I'm just going to be a lot more selective of what I buy from here; I like G9, for the most part, and I agree that in some instances, like creatures, HD is a good thing. It's just when I can do most of what I want with generic HD morphs and custom-made SD ones that the mandatory HD gets annoying.