Selection>Material ?

Has anyone noticed that now in many cases you do not have to select the figure then select the material? I have been noticing it in many cases. Used to be I would need to go to Scene then select the figure I wanted to apply the material/texture to. I always forget to do that! 

But I have noticed for example just now..I had just applied the hair and then selected it and applied a color..but then I decided I wanted to change her eye color so I hit the eye color I wanted, and the hair was still selected. The eye color applied to her anyways, even tho I had the hair selected! 

I am referring to V9. I just thought it is a new thing now??

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838

That's normal for an Hierarchical Material preset, as long as the item you have selected is Fitted to/Parented to the base figure, then DS will find the right surfaces to apply it to.

• digitelldigitell Posts: 558

I did not know that. Thank you Bejaymac! :)

• I think you mean surface (group) rather than material, but in addition to what Bejaymac said, which explains not needing to select a child item to apply materials, only a Shader Preset requires that you select both object and surface(s) (because it is generic and can apply to anything). A material applies to certain named surfaces, so all you need is the target object or hierarchy.

• digitelldigitell Posts: 558

That explaination helps Richard. Thank you!