The missing toe joint on Genesis models

I know this might be a weird thing for some, but with each generation of Genesis models striving for more realism than the last, I started wondering why their toes only have two joints. The little toes on the human foot have three joints, but while I currently don't have Genesis 9, someone else who does checked and confirmed that it still only has two joints. This lack of a joint can make replicating certain foot poses difficult if not impossible to recreate, and morph add-ons that do try to replicate the third joint being bent run into the issue of not being able to bend back the other way, since that bend is baked into the morph.

I was hoping that Genesis 9 would finally add this, but I guess not...

Comments

• SkyewolfSkyewolf Posts: 473
    edited October 2022

There is a bone for every joint in every toe you just have to select them from the Scene hierarchy not the viewport. The single "toes" joint is strictly for usability but if you want to bend the toes individually you can certainly do that. Just select the individual toe bones from the Scene tab.

ETA: Also, "bones" in 3D is representative of muscle groups not actual 'bones', which is the reason for the "missing" third bone you are seeing.

Post edited by Skyewolf on
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Yes, I do occasional beach or surf render and feet in Genesis (and earlier Mikes & Vickys) do look a bit odd.  Be nice if they had a morph to adjust width of foot.  Once I get to looking at them, they remind me of wide duck feet.  

Maybe an enterprising PA will make a morph product for G9.  ; )

• RedSoul said:

I know this might be a weird thing for some, but with each generation of Genesis models striving for more realism than the last, I started wondering why their toes only have two joints. The little toes on the human foot have three joints, but while I currently don't have Genesis 9, someone else who does checked and confirmed that it still only has two joints. This lack of a joint can make replicating certain foot poses difficult if not impossible to recreate, and morph add-ons that do try to replicate the third joint being bent run into the issue of not being able to bend back the other way, since that bend is baked into the morph.

I was hoping that Genesis 9 would finally add this, but I guess not...

You're right, the human toes do have three phalanges and the Daz toes only have two.

• RedSoulRedSoul Posts: 59
    edited October 2022

Skyewolf said:

There is a bone for every joint in every toe you just have to select them from the Scene hierarchy not the viewport. The single "toes" joint is strictly for usability but if you want to bend the toes individually you can certainly do that. Just select the individual toe bones from the Scene tab.

ETA: Also, "bones" in 3D is representative of muscle groups not actual 'bones', which is the reason for the "missing" third bone you are seeing.

That isn't what I was referring to. rosseliani above has the right idea.

Tynkere said:

Yes, I do occasional beach or surf render and feet in Genesis (and earlier Mikes & Vickys) do look a bit odd.  Be nice if they had a morph to adjust width of foot.  Once I get to looking at them, they remind me of wide duck feet.  

Maybe an enterprising PA will make a morph product for G9.  ; )

There are definitely morphs for foot width with the earlier Genesis models up to Genesis 8, at least, for females. I'm sure someone will make one for Genesis 9 as well.

Post edited by RedSoul on

I have an older one called "EZ Feet" I think.  Doesn't have a morph for the width of the 'ball' of the foot that I'm aware of.

Since I'm 'updating' my G8 actors to 8.1, will happily pull the trigger if know of a "Narrow/WideFeet" product.

Long as playing footsie in DAZ, bottom of the foot gives the game away imo.  No wrinkles.  For example, would've liked the camera angle on a beach volleyball scene where player is in mid-air, legs& feet flexed, spiking the ball.  Smooth soles of feet (with ping-pong ball toes)-- nada.  Changed to different perpective.  Products for wrinkles when flexiing?  I admit it's probably a nich market 

• RedSoulRedSoul Posts: 59

Tynkere said:

I have an older one called "EZ Feet" I think.  Doesn't have a morph for the width of the 'ball' of the foot that I'm aware of.

Since I'm 'updating' my G8 actors to 8.1, will happily pull the trigger if know of a "Narrow/WideFeet" product.

Long as playing footsie in DAZ, bottom of the foot gives the game away imo.  No wrinkles.  For example, would've liked the camera angle on a beach volleyball scene where player is in mid-air, legs& feet flexed, spiking the ball.  Smooth soles of feet (with ping-pong ball toes)-- nada.  Changed to different perpective.  Products for wrinkles when flexiing?  I admit it's probably a nich market 

There's a wrinkled feet for Genesis 3/8 Female displacement map product available on RenderHub.

RedSoul said:

There's a wrinkled feet for Genesis 3/8 Female displacement map product available on RenderHub.

Thanks.  Looks fairly good.  Like how can set depth or intensity depending on how far away.

Very OT:
    Punster muse struck during testing.  Silly render and tribute to Jim McKay and a show called “The Wide World of Sports.”  

The TV show would open with music & McKay saying, “The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.”

Silly render:  “DAZ beach volleyball.  The thrill of victory...  And the agony of de feet!” 

On that note, I should probably log off.  ; )