Problem with Smoothing Modifier - DS 4.5 - Solved

Hi

I recently upgraded to Daz Studio Pro 4.5, and have found an issue with the smoothing modifier.

The smoothing modifier seems to only work once, then when you try to add it to another part of the body, it brings up an error message saying "the following nodes were unable to have a smooth modifier applied"

example: I can add the smoothing modifier to the left shoulder, which works, but then when I try to add it to the right shoulder, I get the above message.

Is there a setting I missed, or is this a bug with 4.5. ?

There also seems to be an issue with the Save Scene button, it is doing the same thing as Saveas...

Thankyou
Kind regards

Post edited by darkstudios_6334537e08 on

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,845
    edited August 2012

In your example select the Left Shoulder and then check the Parameters tab under General, do you see Mesh Smoothing listed any where under there ?

Post edited by Bejaymac on
  • edited December 1969

Hi

thankyou for the reply, Mesh Smoothing is not mentioned in the Parameter tab

Regards

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited August 2012

No Not a Bug as you have to apply the Smoothing Mod to the whole object. The Smoothing Mod parameters only show up when selecting the root of the object and not a part of it.

Save: Is that when you first open a scene and after the first save or is it all the time after using the Save command?

Post edited by Szark on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,845
    edited December 1969

The reason it's not there is because you think your applying it to the "Body Part", but you are actually applying it to the whole figure, select the "Body" and you'll find it listed in the Parameters tab, like a lot of things in DS4 it's work on the entire mesh or nothing.

• edited December 1969

HI

So in version 4.5, you no longer select each body part and apply the smoothing modifier but instead just select the entire character and apply it to that.

Is this correct ?

Thanks

edited December 1969

iceman69 said:
    HI

So in version 4.5, you no longer select each body part and apply the smoothing modifier but instead just select the entire character and apply it to that.

Is this correct ?

Thanks

Yes that is correct and since version 4 this has been the way it operates. :)
  • edited August 2012

Hi

I just noticed that the smoothing modifier does smooth both the left and right shoulders however it has also caused the eyes on my character to have errors. is it possible to remove the smoothing from just the eyes ? or is there some workaround for this.

I have also attached an example of the eyes with errors

thankyou again

example2.jpg
    332 x 239 - 21K
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

I'd file a bug report (bugs.daz3D.com, where you need to make an account). I don't think it's the smooth modifier itself, more like the Subdivision algorithm somehow propagating and breaking the mesh there.

• edited August 2012

Hi

I found the solution, under Mesh Smoothing Options, change it from "Base Shape Matching" to "Generic"

thanks

edited December 1969

Nice info thanks for reporting back with that gem. :)