New EULA

ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
edited July 2015 in The Commons

Well this is new, tho I've seen similar before. So what is new?

My eyes glazed over somewhere in the middle of the first paragraph.

Can I still make cool things with Primitives, throw textures I made my self from scratch on them, and share the items I created with Primitives and my own textures?

20150723_NewEULA_001.png
1641 x 805 - 76K
Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

The differences are cosmetic rather than factual, to make it easier to read.

• Thank you Chohole. I just spent five hours trying to make something in Studio work that is still broken, only to be faced with this when I was trying to rest my eyes and brain.

So it's safe to have DIM look for updates, and then start working on something completely deferent and less brain-melting, lol. (a "New Horizons" model for Studio).

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited July 2015

I'd like to clarify one part of the EULA which may have existed before the latest version. This concerns signing over copyright of an image for DAZ to use as it wishes. Does this include images in the forum or just in the gallery? If both then what is the legal position of linking to images on the forum not created by the poster?

Secondly, where an image is created for commercial or non-commercial purposes then the copyright is retained by the creator of that image. Consent to use images for commercial purposes by third parties has to be optional. "Optional" does not mean the choice of either using the service or not but the choice of agreeing or disagreeing to relinquish copyright while using that service. In effect this EULA is assuming copyright of images posted in the gallery without offering that choice. For example, if DAZ decides to use an image for commercial purposes that I have uploaded to share on a non-profit basis then I, the creator and rights holder, must have the option to agree or disagree without prejudice to it being altered or used for commercial purposes other than those I decide. It is my understanding that this is the legal position on copyright concerning content created by EU citizens.

Post edited by Superdog on
  • araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712

I can't accept the new EULA. It keeps saying I need to be logged in. Have tried logging in again, clearing cookies, etc.

have you tried accepting it from your product library, in your account?

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712

Funny little glitch: it doesn't work without a slash at the end

https://www.daz3d.com/eula

https://www.daz3d.com/eula/

Anyway thanks Chohole, got it sorted now.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited July 2015

Does anyone else get a "sending information over an unsecure connection" alert (this is in Firefox) every time the EULA needs to be re-accepted? I get this occasionally on pages where I've had to enter text, but it always shows up on the EULA page.

And then Firefox completely and utterly crashed to desktop the moment I clicked "accept", completely and utterly trashing all the forum tabs I had open.  angry

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • Does anyone else get a "sending information over an unsecure connection" alert (this is in Firefox) every time the EULA needs to be re-accepted? I get this occasionally on pages where I've had to enter text, but it always shows up on the EULA page.

And then Firefox completely and utterly crashed to desktop the moment I clicked "accept", completely and utterly trashing all the forum tabs I had open.  angry

Didn't crash here, tho it did ask about re-sending that stuff. I thought that warning was rather odd, as that usually only happens when I accidently click the 'Back' button.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006

Does anyone else get a "sending information over an unsecure connection" alert (this is in Firefox) every time the EULA needs to be re-accepted? I get this occasionally on pages where I've had to enter text, but it always shows up on the EULA page.

Didn't crash here, tho it did ask about re-sending that stuff. I thought that warning was rather odd, as that usually only happens when I accidently click the 'Back' button.

Did not crash for me either [FF] but yes did get that warning.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    Chohole said:

The differences are cosmetic rather than factual, to make it easier to read.

Yes :-)  And the way I like to read this, it says I can do what I want to do that everybody has been trying to tell me I cannot do. Probably why lawyers were invented.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Ah, Daz Bully strikes again- holding people's content hostage that they bought in good faith under a different legal agreement- that they have a right to access without being COERCED into a different EULA. 

And yes, coerced. If you HAVE to sign a new legal arrangement or not get your thousands of dollars worth of products you bought in good faith, it's coercion.

edited July 2015

Before we had DIM you had to agree to the EULA every single time you installed a DAZ 3D product, because it was included in every installer. Now you sign it once every so often.

And actually if you read through the EULA you will find it is exactly the same as the last one you agreed to, just tidied up a bit so it reads easier I gather.

Edited to add a quote from another thread

From a line-by-line comparison to the previous EULA:

1) The old EULA had a paragraph repeated, the new one takes the duplicate out

2) The old EULA's section allowing 3d printing for personal use was actually under the Gaming License section; the new EULA has that same text under the general license section.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864

Speaking of DIM,

anybody else getting the "Unable to login to the specified account. Verify the email and/or password and try again." ?

Both my email and password are correct.

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    Chohole said:

Before we had DIM you had to agree to the EULA every single time you installed a DAZ 3D product, because it was included in every installer. Now you sign it once every so often.

And actually if you read through the EULA you will find it is exactly the same as the last one you agreed to, just tidied up a bit so it reads easier I gather.

2) The old EULA's section allowing 3d printing for personal use was actually under the Gaming License section; the new EULA has that same text under the general license section.

I'm sure that's the case but what is the position on ownership of uploaded images? The recent Instagram case raised concerns that members content was susceptible to commercial exploitation without any recompence to the creator of the content. What's the situation with DAZ?

Toyen said:

Speaking of DIM,

anybody else getting the "Unable to login to the specified account. Verify the email and/or password and try again." ?

Both my email and password are correct.

As I understand it DIM is down for maintenance at the moment

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited July 2015
    Superdog said:

I'm sure that's the case but what is the position on ownership of uploaded images? The recent Instagram case raised concerns that members content was susceptible to commercial exploitation without any recompence to the creator of the content. What's the situation with DAZ?

That has not changed -- the artist retains ownership, but grants DAZ the right to display it.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    Superdog said:

Though it's always best to ask the source, I read it as a non-exclusive grant. It is not an assignment of rights. You continue to own the artwork.

Most forums have similar boilerplate. If you post an image, you grant the owners of the forum the non-exlusive right to publish that image. Sounds unnecessary, but that's modern life for you. The extra bit about Daz possibility using the image for separate purposes is legal cushioning. I'm sure if they did want to do that, they'd contact you and arrange something equitable. That's been my experience on other graphics boards.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

Part of me says "whoa".

But the self-centric part says, 'if any of my work is DAZ-worthy, I'll say "hell yes!" '

Yeah, I'm an attenton-..ahem..

laugh