the miserable woes of selection in the vertex room

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
edited October 2022 in Carrara Discussion

oh the mystery of how you can sometimes easily box or lasso select faces or other times can do bugger all

I set interactive render to 64x64 and still no dice

the selection lines choose to appear or they don't entirely at their own whim

sometimes you are lucky if you can manually even select one damned face

Kitbash3D model, is very highpoly, even hid all the surfaces except that one and couldn't select bolts on door

those bolts elude me.JPG
1920 x 1040 - 232K
Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Comments

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited October 2022

Which Kit is it?

Never mind...

Found it

Looks like fun

Post edited by ProPose on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817

ProPose said:

Which Kit is it?

the greenhouse

Still Downloading....

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

can you select bolts by shading domain?

or

maybe try using paint selection and polygon selector tool and soft select at 100%

I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve. wink

Holy Crap Wendy!!! How did you get it to load in Carrara?  At first I got the fbx/obj version.  That's some massive obj file.  still trying to load that in Carrara, but it may take till next wee some time.  Then I got the blend version.  At least the blend file loads fairly quick,  and it loads with the proper groups.  Managed to export the greenhouse as a separate obj.   Still loading.....

Stezza said:

can you select bolts by shading domain?

or

maybe try using paint selection and polygon selector tool and soft select at 100%

I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve. wink

I did hide various shading domains doing one at a time but what was left was still highpoly blush

not whole set, one building, the greenhose, deleting a hatch door

eventually did one bolt at a time selecting a face and clicking +

took an hour

Finally got the greenhouse loaded. That took a while, Clicked for the Vertex Modeller, and that took another while.  Hid some of the geometry as you did, and those nasty little bolts would not marquis select, or any of the other options. I was able to sect a vertex and I expanded till I had 308 of them, that took a while as well. Zoom to selection, and then I was able to select faces.

Selection.JPG
    2560 x 1411 - 399K

ProPose said:

Holy Crap Wendy!!! How did you get it to load in Carrara?  At first I got the fbx/obj version.  That's some massive obj file.  still trying to load that in Carrara, but it may take till next wee some time.  Then I got the blend version.  At least the blend file loads fairly quick,  and it loads with the proper groups.  Managed to export the greenhouse as a separate obj.   Still loading.....

needed 21GB RAM took 5 hours to import FBX

once in consolidating shaders saved as .car file not too bad

I saved out each prop

see

discussion https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7759056/#Comment_7759056 

ProPose said:

Finally got the greenhouse loaded. That took a while, Clicked for the Vertex Modeller, and that took another while.  Hid some of the geometry as you did, and those nasty little bolts would not marquis select, or any of the other options. I was able to sect a vertex and I expanded till I had 308 of them, that took a while as well. Zoom to selection, and then I was able to select faces.

yes 

edited October 2022

Octane renders

insidepass_Denoised beauty0099.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    insidepass_Denoised beauty0400.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    outsidepass_Denoised beauty0659.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    outsidepass_Denoised beauty0761.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    outsidepass_Denoised beauty0167.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Really nice job Wendy,  

ProPose said:

Really nice job Wendy,  

thanks

I really wanted to separate and animate that door (and the others) but it looks like I need to break it up in Blender 

Carrara vertex modeller cannot cope

ironically DAZ Studios geometry editor might too

Actually, the entire obj loaded fairly quick in 4.10

• for high poly models i would recommend to retopology the mesh to a low poly model.
    In blender just click the object property data tab (right side) and than in the category remesh you can change voxel or quad mode and set the voxel mode to a different amount, than just click Voxel Remesh.
    Here is also a little tutorial how to keep all the nice details, for working with that scene it might be much better if it's a low to mid poly mesh.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

WendyLuvsCatz said:

oh the mystery of how you can sometimes easily box or lasso select faces or other times can do bugger all

I'm not sure I follow this, but ... I venture into the Model Room only when absolutely necessary.  E.g. to delete something like a flag on a ship that I don't need perfectly rigid while the ship is moving.  Even then I first try to find the texture and set alpha to zero.  But I've learned my best shot at selection is to select a single poly and then grow it.  Surprisingly, this "growing" seems to stop at the sub structure I need to delete, but does not keep growing into the whole model.  I dunno why ... clever Carrara programmers, I'm guessing (wherever they are now).