Device optimized for interactive usage; performance could be sacrificed???

I see this message in the DS 4.8 log file for every render, and I have no idea what it means.

Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.3   IRAY   rend info : CPU (7 threads): Scene processed in 0.054s
Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.3   IRAY   rend info : CPU (7 threads): Allocated 15 MB for frame buffer
Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Scene processed in 0.115s
Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Allocated 15 MB for frame buffer
Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Allocated 804 MB of work space (1024k active samples)
Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Device optimized for interactive usage; performance could be sacrificed
Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 00001 iterations after 0.667s.

I have a GTX 970 and in Render Settings> Advanced I have Photoreal> CPU / GeForce GTX 970 both checked. I also have OptiX Prime Acceleration checked, plus CPU / GeForce GTX 970. Unchecking the Interactive options makes no difference to render time or to the log message.

Anyone have a clue what I should change?

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Uncheck CPU and Optix and give it a try. I have found both to be inconsistent iin their effect. Someitimes a little faster, ofen a fiar bit slower.

Nothing to lose.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

Thanks for the reply. I already did that and still got the same log message.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Might be something in the Nvidia card settings.

Fishtales said:

Might be something in the Nvidia card settings.

That was my first thought, but I haven't touched the Nvidia Control panel at all. Everything is set the way it was on install. And I wouldn't know what to change anyway.

What about the computer settings? Are they set for best performance, power saving or something else? Perhaps that is just for laptops though smiley

You mean the Windows settings? I have a High Peformance plan set in windows.

In the Nvidia control panel, it's set to 'Let 3d application decide'

edited July 2015

I found this site with Nvidia settings that might be useful. My Nvidia card is on my main computer but I haven't been into the settings for a long time and it is a very old card. I'm sure at one time I had different settings for using different programs but I'm not sure. I can't look because I am not at home ATM.

http://forums.redbana.com/forum/audition/audition-discussions/technical-support/2967838-guide-nvidia-performance-quality-settings-2015-edition

Post edited by Fishtales on

Thanks for that link. I'll try some tests.