Disassociating meshes that have been modified via Geometry Editor

Hello,

today, I wanted to cheat a room prop that has doors which won't open. So, I went to the geometry editor and selected the polys of the door I wanted to open, made a new surface from it. Then, I loaded the same prop a second time and wanted to do the same changes, but it had them already applied. I didn't save anything in between. I wanted to align the rooms, set the pivot point of one to the door hinges, and hide the door in the original room, while hiding everything else from the second room and just turn the door. Mind you, I didn't load an instance, but the same prop from my content again. Didn't even duplicate.

The thing is, while it's nice that I don't have to select all of the polys again, I can't do anything on one of them which the other won't do, too. So, if I hide the walls of one of them, the other will have hidden walls, too.

How can I disassociate the two geometries? Just renaming the node in the Scene ID and taking away the compatibility base doesn't work, neither does breaking up any instancing bases, because there are no instances.

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

It's surprising as the dissociation workflow you describe is one I've done countless times without ever facing such an issue. Some workarounds that would help :

- load the bundle once. Select the door (select a polygon then Ctrl+* to select all polygons attached to your current selection), delete everything else (Ctrl+/ to invert the selection). Save the door alone : File > Save As > Scene Subset. Delete it. Load the environment again. Select the door and delete it. Open the scene Subset you just saved to merge it to your current project. And all should work fine.

Maybe rename the door before saving it. The fact that both items have the same Scene Tab name could be the reason why this is happening ? Although I doubt it.

- load the bundle once. Select the door with the Surface Selection Tool (Alt+Shift+M). Copy its surface(s). Delete everything else. Export the door as obj. Delete it. Load the bundle again. Select and delete the door. Import the obj and paste the surface that is still in Windows' Clipboard.

- If you know Blender, 3DS Max, C4D, etc. export the bundle or the door alone as obj. Load it in any third party 3D modeler. And from there export the door as obj. Similar workflow as the precedent one : import it in Daz and copy/paste Surfaces from the original.

P.S : Use this very useful script to help you place the door pivot : MoveOrigin 1.5, or place a Null (Create > New Null) at the door's rotation axis and parent the door to it.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,656

If you are using the same object 2 times, it does, to my knowledge, refer to the same dataset.

The easiest solution would be to export it as an obj, and then reimport. Then it will be considered a new item. After reimport you probably have to copy surfaces from the original.

Personally though, I would load the exported object into a modeller, and delete every except the door, and then export-import into Daz Studio, so you will just have the door.

• You could also convert the prop to a figure, then you could switch to the Joint editor, add a new bone via right-click and assign the door group as its selection group (top-right of Tool Settings pane - then you can hide the door in one instance and the room in the other. Of course if the door is not welded to the rest of the model you could also line the bone up with the door and with the Node Weightpaint brush tool active assign the General Weight map through Tool Settings, select the group (right-click>Geometry Selection) and fill it with 100% weight (right-click>Weight Editing)  to make the door open.

• JuNeJuNe Posts: 85

Thanks for all the quick answers! I had the problem with the same Geometry Editor actions being applied to all of the same prop or figure for forever now, but the other times, I found some other workaround, or just gave up. Now, I will try which workaround suits my workflow best.