Geometry Editor Drag Cursor Fails to Function Sometimes

Hello all,

As in title, when doing some geometry selection using the Drag selection method, the little target circle cursor will disappear and I can no longer select geometry.

I've made sure the geometry I'm after is selected, and I know to make sure no hidden polygons are in the way, but it just goes and I am left with the default windows pointer. It will no longer select polygons. I check it's settings are correct, and they are. I've tried clicking off viewport, clicking desktop, using other tools and returning to it, but it will not come back unless I restart Daz, which is annoying to the workflow.

I can use marquee or lasso select, but they are grabbing at polys I don't want.

What's going on? And is there a workaround fix?

PS. I've been using this tool since the early first days of Daz Studio, so it's not an inexperience thing. Thank you.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,222

When that happens to me, I either select something different in the scene pane, or switch tools and then back to geometry editor. I can't remember which one works, or if both do.

• Not only it happens to me too, but using the drag cursor often leads to crash Daz Studio (Fatal Error). I'm used to this problem and I try to save my work every 10 seconds when I use the drag cursor.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

Yeah it's one of the old annoying and never fixed bugs.

[...] it will not come back unless I restart Daz

Go to the Scene Tab, click on any other object then click back the one you were working on : your selection in progress will be there, geometry selection will work again. Two clicks. Restarting every time this happened ? Darn ;)

When a solution consists in resintalling or restarting, 99% of the time : it's not the solution.

but using the drag cursor often leads to crash Daz Studio

Weird. I'm using Geometry Drag Selection quiet a lot and I can't remember having faced a single crash. Maybe should you test your RAM for integrity ? Or it's related to some AMD hardware... dunno. But it's not a normal behavior. I had 3 very different computer over the last few years (although always Intel / NVidia), and I'm pretty sure that Geometry Editor selection(s) always worked fine.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • If this is a frequent occurence, especially if it causes crashes, have you reproted it to Daz - if possible with steps to reproduce?

• CyrinadiaCyrinadia Posts: 143

I'm lucky mine hasn't crashed. Just caused no end of progress halts. It varies at when it decides to do it too. I will try the select another object thing. I managed to finnagle it into recooperating at one point but forgot how. Time to continue to resurface! Thanks all. I realy hope it does get fixed at some point.

• CyrinadiaCyrinadia Posts: 143

Gordig said:

When that happens to me, I either select something different in the scene pane, or switch tools and then back to geometry editor. I can't remember which one works, or if both do.

This worked for me, changing objects in the scene pane. Thanks a heap for the tip! I made a bunch of primitive spheres with the resurface materials labelled on them or to switch to. If that helps anyone, I'll be happy days.

• Richard Haseltine said:

If this is a frequent occurence, especially if it causes crashes, have you reproted it to Daz - if possible with steps to reproduce?

I got into the habit of defining as much as possible my surfaces, selection sets, etc directly in Blender in order to avoid the use of the grab cursor (which I hardly use anymore), and it pays.
    Reproducing the steps would therefore be difficult now. What I remember is crashes happened when I was trying to select small polygons in very small props (which is not easy with Daz Studio's Geometry Editor Tool).