C4D/Arnold Iray Section Plane equivalent?

I'm working on a scene in C4D using Arnold, and the camera is currently inside a buidling. I could easily hide the offending object, but I was hoping C4D and/or Arnold have a way to accomplish the same thing as an Iray Section Plane, using a plane to hide everything on the near side of the plane from the camera. Simply raising the camera's near clipping doesn't do the job, because the camera is at an oblique angle to the subjects, so either parts of the building are visible, or other objects in the scene are being sliced open. I don't know if I'm just using the wrong search terms, but all I could find so far is how to PREVENT clipping, or how to use Arnold's clip_geo shader, which doesn't do what I'm after.

Again, I'll probably end up just hiding the building for this shot, but it would be a good thing either to know how to do, or know that it can't be done.

Comments

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited October 2022

I don't know how this would translate to Arnold, but I just use a big Cube as a section plane with Boole (A - B) to subtract the cube out of a scene.

Post edited by prixat on
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2022

Isn't Technical Help (nuts n bolts) for Daz ?

And Cinema 4D Discussion... for Cinema 4D ?

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,158

hansolocambo said:

Isn't Technical Help (nuts n bolts) for Daz ?

And Cinema 4D Discussion... for Cinema 4D ?

Technical questions and answers on content and on 3D software in general.

On top of that, it's not exclusively a C4D question. Arnold is available for a wide variety of 3D programs, so if Arnold has a way of doing this, it would benefit not just C4D users, but users of Maya, Max, etc.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,158

prixat said:

I don't know how this would translate to Arnold, but I just use a big Cube as a section plane with Boole (A - B) to subtract the cube out of a scene.

Wouldn't that only work on a single object? On top of that, isn't a boole modifier a rather heavy-handed and potentially processor-intensive approach to this?

Yes, it can get very processor intensive on complex scenes!

.The grouping in the scene hierachy controls what gets subtracted.

...plus you can cut out any shape!

Screenshot 2022-10-03 093138.png
    2209 x 1373 - 983K