AtmoCam for Iray [Commercial]

MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

AtmoCam for Iray

Achieve depth, haze, fog, divine rays of light, supernatural moods, and alien atmospheres with this prop-based camera for Iray. 15 colors and 6 density levels are included. An HDR render settings environment and photometric light is included as an easy set-up option. The HDR image is not just for ambient lighting, it will render in the background.

In order to see the prop in the main viewport you must use the drawing style Hidden Line. This is only for fine-tuning the size as the default scale will encompass most scenes. The camera needs to remain outside the Atmospheric Volume Prop for the effect to work. Atmocam works great with transmaps.

See the ReadMe for more Instructions and tips on this product. See the forum for Tips & Tricks on using Iray.

I'm available for Q&A. Post some renders here if you like, I'd love to see what you do.

AtmoCam for Iray_Marshian.png
523 x 676 - 658K
popup_12.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 1002K
Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

The promo renders look somehow grainy. Is that intended for this camera, or is that just the Iray way of rendering?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

I'm afraid I have to agree with cherpenbeck, I was wondering how long the renders took and whether or not the slight grainy look can be avoided.

Does the cam also add to render times I really do like th look of the atmosphere it looks a bit more gradual than I've seen before.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

Hi scorpio and cherpenbeck- On a few I was able to reduce grain when I did long renders overnight, others took about 2 hours, and most were completed with the default render settings which have a time cap. If you are doing renders with average haze, humidity, and light smog the "lighter" density settings will also be less grainy and render faster. Here are some tips: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/58034/

Hope this helps. I'm watching this thread closely today, if you have more questions I can answer quickly. wink

• ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279

I am experimenting with AtmoCam and Cista Sanctorum.  It is working great and looks really amazing.  I will post a render soon.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    Marshian said:

Hi scorpio and cherpenbeck- On a few I was able to reduce grain when I did long renders overnight, others took about 2 hours, and most were completed with the default render settings which have a time cap. If you are doing renders with average haze, humidity, and light smog the "lighter" density settings will also be less grainy and render faster. Here are some tips: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/58034/

Hope this helps. I'm watching this thread closely today, if you have more questions I can answer quickly. wink

Thank you. Were you rendering with GPU or CPU?

CPU

A smooth and soft render of snow fog. Look closely- you can see the House of Mog Ruith through the trees.

atmocam_SnowFog_Marshian.jpg
    1300 x 731 - 896K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited July 2015

...what about city haze and smog for long shots (like below - done with the AoA Fog Camera)? Can the density of the fog effect be adjusted? 

mentha in the city.jpg
    900 x 675 - 479K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited July 2015

Update- For this render I used info from the link above about grain and the tip that SickleYield posted about speeding up Iray renders . This render completed in 2 hours. It also shows how the AtmoCam can be used on smaller objects when the prop is scaled (The DM Arclamp is around 2 meters tall).

AtmoCam For Iray DM Arclamp.jpg
    615 x 800 - 363K
    Post edited by Marshian on
    kyoto kid said:

...what about city haze and smog for long shots (like below - done with the AoA Fog Camera)? Can the density of the fog effect be adjusted? 

Yes, the effect can be reduced to a haze using the AtmoCam Light preset, which is one of the six density levels.

My first render with the AtmoCam.

crypt001.jpg
    1389 x 878 - 225K

Hey Connatic- thanks for posting a more subtle example, although whats going on there is quite the opposite (She'd better look out). I tended to push my promos to the limits so this is good to see.

I wonder if the atmosphere can be disturbed, like a gradual fade of density, or made non-homogenous to have patterns and wisps?  

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

Connatic said:

I wonder if the atmosphere can be disturbed, like a gradual fade of density, or made non-homogenous to have patterns and wisps?  

I believe it's doable using a perlin perturbation, but it's not trivial.  Honestly, from when I first saw the atmospheric haze that folks were doing, this has been what I've desperately wanted to do.  But I'd need a few days of time to really dive deep into MDL and the shader mixer, but I quite frankly haven't had a few days of peace and quiet since then.  (When I first tried, the shader mixer was only BARELY handling Iray nodes.)  It should be doable; the underlying primitives offer all the pieces you'd want, but...

...figuring out how to make it all work together is the hard part, always.  Detdevilails.

--  Morgan

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    edited January 2018

[post no longer valid. out of date]

Post edited by HorusRa on
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited July 2015

I haven't really done much with Iray, specifically because there wasn't a way to give the illusion of night or outer space. I know a HDR Labs has a starfield available for free, but when I tried using it in Reality, it was disappointingly low-resolution and didn't look at all right when placing detailed models in it.

So, congratulations. Seeing that this would give me not just one, but two night options - plus a bloody crimson effect (and apparently water, too) - instantly secured you a sale from me, someone who hasn't really spent any money on Iray products up until now. :)

Already a big fan of your work, as you know, but this is yet another example of something I was badly in need of, which you managed to anticipate.

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
    Connatic said:

That is a great idea! I put considerable effort into this idea and could not get great/stable results. I have some other ideas in the works for this but they will be very different products, the geometry will be much more complicated. 

HorusRa said:

A render of an early alpha WIP with higher quality settings, max times and samples, etc, with light haze added from Atmocam.

This is great- the way you've built this scene with depth- foreground, middle, background. Placing objects at varying distances from the camera was something I was very conscious of in my promos.  Thanks for posting. If the inspiration strikes you I'd like to see one with a heavier density. 

edited July 2015

I haven't really done much with Iray, specifically because there wasn't a way to give the illusion of night or outer space. I know a HDR Labs has a starfield available for free, but when I tried using it in Reality, it was disappointingly low-resolution and didn't look at all right when placing detailed models in it.

So, congratulations. Seeing that this would give me not just one, but two night options - plus a bloody crimson effect (and apparently water, too) - instantly secured you a sale from me, someone who hasn't really spent any money on Iray products up until now. :)

Already a big fan of your work, as you know, but this is yet another example of something I was badly in need of, which you managed to anticipate.

Hey Xenomorphine- thanks! glad you dropped by. Some of those HDR images are very small. The one I included with this set does not have objects in it (clouds, sun, stars, etc) but I made sure to build it at 4096 x 2048 so that it will both light the scene and render. If you use the AtmoCam environment preset without the Atmo Prop you could acheive some night settings by turning down the Environment Instensity and/or Environment Map.

See attached (follow up)- Small tweaks to generate a night/space scene. In this render I turned down Environment settings and used the included photometric light (also turned down). I added the bloom just for fun. You can see that even with the light from the HDR turned way down there is still occlusion. The Atmo Prop was not used.

AtmoCam Environment Only Marshian.jpg
    900 x 692 - 394K
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

Really struggling with the  AtmoCam at the moment, I can clearly see what it's meant to do, the effects it achieves and that for two of my current projects it'll be perfect, c do you think I can get any effective rays though??? Hope I get my head round it soon, it looks awesome!

edited July 2015

Post was doubled somehow

edited July 2015

Really struggling with the  AtmoCam at the moment, I can clearly see what it's meant to do, the effects it achieves and that for two of my current projects it'll be perfect, c do you think I can get any effective rays though??? Hope I get my head round it soon, it looks awesome!

Hi kaiwootton- be glad to help you with that. I should be able to get you back on track quickly.

Effective rays are primarily controlled by two things:

• The density of the Atmo Prop (less important), the medium "default" setting is fine. If you go to the lighter presets the effect will be more faint
    • The light geometry (more important), try setting it to "point" and reducing the Height and Width to .01

The light included with this set (AtmoCam Photometric Light) should give you rays with it's default settings. If using your own light make sure it's set to Photometric and is bright enough (at least 150000.0 Lumens) - you should start seeing some results. The amount of Lumens is relative to the distance your light is from your subject so depending on what kind of light and how far away it is.... you know more tweaking.

Let me know if you have more questions.

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    Thanks for the tips Marshian, I'll have another look when I get home.
    edited March 2019

CypherFOX said:

Greetings,

Connatic said:

I believe it's doable using a perlin perturbation, but it's not trivial.  Honestly, from when I first saw the atmospheric haze that folks were doing, this has been what I've desperately wanted to do.  But I'd need a few days of time to really dive deep into MDL and the shader mixer, but I quite frankly haven't had a few days of peace and quiet since then.  (When I first tried, the shader mixer was only BARELY handling Iray nodes.)  It should be doable; the underlying primitives offer all the pieces you'd want, but...

...figuring out how to make it all work together is the hard part, always.  Detdevilails.

--  Morgan

...smog is usually denser appearing near the surface/horizon than higher up in the sky.

edited July 2015
    HorusRa said:
    Marshian said:
    HorusRa said:

A render of an early alpha WIP with higher quality settings, max times and samples, etc, with light haze added from Atmocam.

This is great- the way you've built this scene with depth- foreground, middle, background. Placing objects at varying distances from the camera was something I was very conscious of in my promos.  Thanks for posting. If the inspiration strikes you I'd like to see one with a heavier density. 

Thanks. I can't decide if I even like it, it's not what I envisioned, I mean without atmocam, of course. Anyway regardless of that, heres a render as u requested, this one is using 'medium heavy' density. Convergence was at 99%, render quality 4.00, Max samples: 9000, Max time (secs): 10200. No lights were used in either render, just an HDRI I already own. It's not that I didn't want any lights in it, it's just that before your product was released I had deleted all the 3delight elements out of it and IRay-anized the scene, so to speak, and never got around to placing any lights in it yet, then I saw your post and thought I'd post a render because u were asking people too. So, no lights, just hdri in both. =)

I do think it's good! Thanks for following up - your two renders show the variety of mood that's possible. 

...well on the wishlist until my next cheque to comes in. Definitely like what I have seen and frustrated with trying to create these effects myself.

Nice too that they are volumetric effects.

edited March 2019

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
    edited July 2015

I'm finding AtmoCam a great product and easy to use.

Like Connatic I thought Cisca Sanctorum would be a good set to use it on, an atmospheric setting and it comes with an Iray scene seup. And once I tried my first render it was obvious which boatman should be seen down there:

GrimReaper1V2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 573K
    Post edited by Peter Wade on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

If you get the broken icon when uploading an attachment, delete the attachment and try again