genesis 9/victoria 9 8k maps and lower graphic cards

2»

Comments

• For everybody that wants the 'unimesh', i got one word for ya....BLOAT!.

Longer load times, more stuff to sort through, higher number of errors, conflicts, and hair ripping.

This was part of why genesis 2 got split off.

For those talking about unimesh in other software, that software doesn't have to load every morph asset like DS does.

• PerttiA said:

An hour to render on a 2070 Super is a long time. I had one before I updated to 3060 12GB and I rendered interior scenes with two to three G8 figures (with clothing and hair) usually in around 20 minutes.
    The 3060 is just marginally faster, but I bought it for the 12GB VRAM as 8GB's was getting restrictive.

Running DS 4.15 on i7-5820K, X99, 64GB, 3060 12GB and W7 Ultimate.

Comparing render times, without any specifics, is meaningless.

Which characters?, Which hair?, What render settings?, What interior?, What light setup?, What camera settings? etc.

I can easily get sub 10 minute renders on 6 year old hardware with a dozen, or more, characters in a scene.

Change one setting and that render time jumps to several hours.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,790
    edited September 2022

I can easily get sub 10 minute renders on 6 year old hardware with a dozen, or more, characters in a scene.

I am curious to know. So what are your render settings? 

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • Masterstroke said:

What ever is required for the scene.

I rarely concern myself with render times, unless on a deadline or i'm benchmarking.

Advantage of having multiple computer systems, 'cheap' electric, and budgeting for all my systems going 24/7.

• ChallyII said:

I tend to render big scenes with upwards of 20 characters, done in chunks of 4-5 characters at a time. I take it Genesis 9 is pretty useless to me then?

Also- if a 3050 is a low-end card, what does that make my 2070?

This is pretty much what we go through with every new figure. Just wait till it gets released and see how bad or good it is.

Depending how much stuff is released, and what its backwards compatibility is like, at launch, probably going to be a few months before it's functionally usable.

A 3050 is a 'low end' card for the 30 series, as it has the fewest cuda cores, and the lowest performance of the series.

A 2070 is considered 'mid range' for the 20 series.

Generationally, the 2070 is now 'low end', as it's render performance falls between the 3050 and 3060, depending on benchmark used.

• DrunkMonkeyProductions said:

Masterstroke said:

What ever is required for the scene.

I rarely concern myself with render times, unless on a deadline or i'm benchmarking.

Advantage of having multiple computer systems, 'cheap' electric, and budgeting for all my systems going 24/7.

Sorry, you've said, that you can easily go sub 10 minutes render time. I'd just like to know how. 
    I just like to reproduce your settings. Nobody likes long render times. So if yor settings can help me to reduce my render times under 10 minutes, I'd be happy.

• Closing this - it was posted in the Daz Studio forum to ask about a technical aspect, more general discussion of Genesis 9 should be in one of the main therads in the Commons.

This discussion has been closed.