OT: Omar Sharif RIP

LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,176
edited July 2015 in The Commons

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/omar-sharif-star-lawrence-arabia-dies-heart-attack-83-n389936

I remember him from "Dr. Zhivago".  Never cared for the "Lawrence of Arabia" movie.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Comments

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2015

This is sad news, he was truly one of the greats.  Incidentally, I'm not a fan of "Lawrence of Arabia", either.

Alex.

Post edited by alexhcowley on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

you are both bonkers! Lawrence of Arabia is a cinematic masterpiece, Sharif was wonderful in it.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Oh dear, one of my pin-ups back in the day.  I too loved Dr Shivago.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Awwwwwwwww... well he had a good long life.  R.I.P. Omar.  Thanks for the memories!  heart

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

One of the last of the great actors. Now we have reality people who think they are stars. UGH. The actors from previous generations who were stars had talent.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

For years they had a column in the paper about the card game Bridge, written by one Omar Sharif.  One day I cracked wise to my old man about this Bridge guru ought to change his name so he woudn't get confused with an actor and my old man broke it to me that he WAS the actor.  Apparantly a wolrd class bridge player, one of the best.  A man of many talents.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Such a shame.  I may be one of the few who has never seen Dr Zhivago ... ;)  He was certainly good in all the things I have seen him in, however.  And of course he was a pretty good bridge player, too.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,176
    edited July 2015
    SimonJM said:

Such a shame.  I may be one of the few who has never seen Dr Zhivago ... ;)  He was certainly good in all the things I have seen him in, however.  And of course he was a pretty good bridge player, too.

Dr. Zhivago is a long movie with an intermission.  Quasi-historical, set during the Russian Revolution. Deep personal conflicts between freedom, love, family, country, politics, war.  Fulfilling yet tragic.  Beautiful scenery.  Memorable music. Great movie.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

Dr. Zhivago is Lawrence of Arabia for women. 
    There I said it. devil

Great movie but have you ever tried to watch Lawrence of Arabia with a bunch of women?

They shut it off and put on Dr. Zhivago.

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862

StratDragon said:

Dr. Zhivago is Lawrence of Arabia for women. 
    There I said it. devil

Great movie but have you ever tried to watch Lawrence of Arabia with a bunch of women?

They shut it off and put on Dr. Zhivago.

I take my hat off to you!  (If I had one on). HahaHaAAAAaaaa...

Out of my top 10 movies. Lawrence of Arabia would be at No. 1.

R.I.P. Omar Sharif.

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited July 2015

I'm sorry to hear this, I've always liked Omar Sharif.  I for one, am a big fan of Lawrence of Arabia, it's a great film, if not a very accurate biopic.  The real man makes for fascinating reading, the movie compresses events and takes some liberties. Sharif is great in it though, the casual hatred he shows when he kills Lawrence's guide for drinking from his well but cheerfully tells Lawrence he is welcome is chilling.

In a totally different kind of movie, he was hilarious in his small part in TOP SECRET! where he plays a spy who is subjected to all kinds of ridiculous indignities.

If you've never seen Dr. Zhivago, give it a shot.  Even if you don't like the story, the cinematography is stunning.

Post edited by Mr Gneiss Guy on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

His heyday was (slightly!) before my time, but I thought he got even better looking during his middle years anyway. When my eldest son was born, the woman in the next bed to me called her lad Omar after the actor - baby Omar would be almost 27 now, and today is the first time I've thought of him in years. It makes me wonder how many other Omars there are out there who would have been called something completely different if he'd never been a success.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,176
    edited July 2015

Dr. Zhivago trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAWrXTn5Www

Lara's Theme: (Because I know the whole story I can't watch this without my throat tightening and my eyes watering.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXtFRl1nSs4

zhivagodaffodils16x9.jpg
    640 x 360 - 29K
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

I just watched Lawrence of Arabia one month ago again the cinematic are great , it is sad to see the true stars go R.I.P. Omar !

• scathascatha Posts: 756

One of the great actors and an outstanding card player. Always sad to lose such a talented figure.

• Sky HndxSky Hndx Posts: 142

I have to admit I did try to watch "Lawrence of Arabia" once but I left it to reread Frank Herbert's "Dune".  But I did notice a clip from the film was used in "Prometheus".  *ducks