GMax drives me nuts

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,814
edited December 1969 in The Commons

does ANYONE use GMax by Discreet (free from Turbosquid) or am I the only masochist here?
I have not one but 2 Max scripts for obj export and neither work!
finally got a vehicle from my GTA San Andreas game into the thing using GTA tools by Kam
but
can only export to plasma p3d file and what on earth can you open THAT in?

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

does ANYONE use GMax by Discreet (free from Turbosquid) or am I the only masochist here?
    I have not one but 2 Max scripts for obj export and neither work!
    finally got a vehicle from my GTA San Andreas game into the thing using GTA tools by Kam
    but
    can only export to plasma p3d file and what on earth can you open THAT in?

boy is that old - p3d is only Gmax only - thats why no one uses it

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

GMax was designed for game moders. It's designed to use different plugins to allow you to use the game's formats; $ and each game had a plugin. It flopped because of,.... well I can't say, but a lot of people already had 3dsmax. I'm sure it has been out of development for quite some time.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,814
    edited December 1969

yeah, long out of development being the issue for finding out on the web via Google how to do stuff
    they have a forum but it tends towards game modding, not exporting models for rendering in art programs!

• REIVAXREIVAX Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

sorry to disturb you

but you can use all maxscript for max4 and use one rendersuite for gmax

sorry for my english

edited December 1969

ok on Boneyard tutorials I found a Max script for obj export that did not bring up an error
    I ran it and then listener, copied the text into notepad and saved it as an obj file
    got mesh out
    but
    very questionable looking, what the GTA tools brought it was obviously very questionable, it looked like a aeroplane but was really just a few primitives
    game meshes obviously make lowpoly look complex!
    I still cannot figure out how to import a whole set from a game map, though the GTA tools finds them all in my game.

edited August 2012

a friend on the Reallusion forum helped with getting GTA San Andreas models at least, using 3D Ripper DX which captures obj from frames of directX applications

Untitled.jpg
    1917 x 1017 - 409K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on