Problems with Undo

I have this bad habit of using the delete key to delete things from my scene. This is fine if I actually want to delete an object but I forget myself and I use it when I want to delete keyframes from the timeline. This of course does not delete the keyframes, it deletes the selected object/figure from the scene and I shout obscenities for a few minutes because I know I have to start over as I have just lost an hour's work on the timeline.

We might be forgiven for thinking well, what's the problem? Just use CTRL-Z and undo the deletion. But that does not work. What comes back into the scene is not what was deleted. For example, many morph adjustments are not what they were or geografts are not re-imported correctly or materials don't look right.

Comments

• Have you reported these issues, with steps to reproduce (e.g. a scene that misbehaves and instructions on how to trigger that)?

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Richard Haseltine said:

Have you reported these issues, with steps to reproduce (e.g. a scene that misbehaves and instructions on how to trigger that)?

Nope. I long ago gave up on reporting anything to support as I never get an update or a solution. I'm just expressing my frustration here but I know it won't help other than allowing me to let off some steam.

• This may or not help, instead of using Ctrl Z, use the Edit > Undo ... sometimes one option works better than another.

Catherine3678ab said:

This may or not help, instead of using Ctrl Z, use the Edit > Undo ... sometimes one option works better than another.

Interesting. I thought CTRL-Z was just a keyboard shortcut for the Undo command.

• Usually -- in most other programs but not all.

• work with the smallest version of your scene etc that you can and save a lot. 

edited August 2022

alan bard newcomer said:

work with the smallest version of your scene etc that you can and save a lot. 

I do save often - been caught out too many times (not to mention the fact that this was my constant reminder to my customers when I was in computer support). Of course, there are times when we get so involved with the creative process that we don't pause to save or perform any other routine procedure. So an hour can go by before you know it.

I was thinking about this issue earlier and I realised that, contrary to my original thinking, I do not use the delete key to delete objects from scenes - I use the right-click menu and select "Delete". So I have no idea why I use the DEL key to attempt to delete timeline keyframes - especially since there is an equivalent right-click menu with a Delete Keyframe option. I'll just have to work on changing my habit which, by definition, is not easy to do.

I do hope that the future DS5 comes without these annoying quirks like not restoring properly when using Undo (CTRL-Z).

Post edited by marble on
  • marble said:

Catherine3678ab said:

This may or not help, instead of using Ctrl Z, use the Edit > Undo ... sometimes one option works better than another.

Interesting. I thought CTRL-Z was just a keyboard shortcut for the Undo command.

Correct, as you xcan see by looking in Window>Workspace>Customise.