AOBB's Babyface for G8.1F head morph based loosely on Jean Harlow. No materials nor textures.

AOBBAOBB Posts: 957
edited August 2022 in Freebies

This is my admittedly failed attempt at creating a Jean Harlow head morph as requested by perlk. I really wished to repay perlk handsomely for the jewelry she created for "my" characters yet the task proved more complicated than I expected. Still, a head morph is made and I feel like sharing it despite its shortcomings in the likeness department. I hope perlk will accept this token of my gratitude. Thank you perlk for you beautiful work. yessmiley

You will find attached the colorized photo of Jean Harlow early in her career (early 1930s probably). I tried to emulate Harlow's more natural look she had before she shaved off completely her brows and drew with a pencil high arches on her forehead - a look I couldn't get over and decided not to copy.

Assets in promo images:

Ultimate PBR Shader Makeup G8.1F

MSO Mina HD G8.1F (lipstick and blush)

Vo Hataru G8.1F (skin material modified)

dForce Whitney Outfit G8.1F (necklace)

dForce State Dinner Dress G8F

dForce Ingrid Hair G3,8F

Ultimate Eyebrows G8F (Fine Brow 04)

Lashes Utilities G2,3,8

Noncommercial use only please.

If you decide to use this morph please consider posting your Babyface art in this thread. I always love to see your work! smiley

Cheers,

AOBB

s-l1600 (8).jpg
700 x 875 - 63K
Babyface F.png
502 x 750 - 657K
Babyface TQ.png
502 x 750 - 668K
Babyface P.png
502 x 750 - 630K
zip
zip
Babyface for G8.1F.zip
2M
Post edited by AOBB on

Comments

• perlkperlk Posts: 846

You are incredible! Thank you. I can't wait to try her! And now she needs a dress. And - my friend in retro fashion shadowbox sent me a bunch of inspiration via email :-)

Coincidentally, I have been working on a strand hair in a retro style while it's been slow at work. I am getting okay at it and I think I might try Miss Jean's next.

• michaeltoomichaeltoo Posts: 219

After reading your comments about the trouble you were having getting the Jean Harlow morph right. I googled her and could see what you were talking about,

But after seeing your finished morph, she's absolutely beautiful, and very much like the images I googled. Well done! You certainly have a real gift for this.

• AOBBAOBB Posts: 957

@perlk - as for outfit and hair inspiration, I think Harlow is most iconic in "Dinner at 8". Check out that long, white, satin halter dress she's wearing and the hair is pitch perfect for her too!

@michaeltoo - thank you so much for your kind words. Maybe it is because I analyze the faces I make so much that I see the discrepancies so vividly between them and my sculpts...

• I guess I just have strange eyes, but I see Jean more in this one than thew real people in all the others. I know, I know, I'm strange.  Anyway very very nice.

Thank you, BronzeDragon. Your words boost my confidence in this sculpt! smiley

• Her more extreme features are a little softer in your morph but it really does look like Harlow. I'll see what I can come up with for an image using the morph. I love the old Hollywood-style glamour photos. 

@K8sGraphics - Wonderful! I love glamour too and I cannot wait to see your render! smiley

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

Another winner.

@nonesuch00 - thank you! smiley

edited August 2022

I am SO excited. I love her! And I did her hair. It's not perfect, but it's kinda 30's-ish. I need a better skin for her. Nothing I have quite fits, even though I made my own eyebrows.

Next up is the dress. But probably not for a couple of days. 

I'm going to attempt to model this dress:

jean.png
    600 x 600 - 456K
    Post edited by perlk on
  • I have a couple of commissioned pieces I have to finish, but as soon as those are done I will put together the glamour image ideas with her I have in my head. So it may be a couple of days before I can get to it. 

@perlk - how about the skin material from Irina HD?:

https://www.daz3d.com/irina-hd-for-genesis-81-females

She's on sale now for under 10 dollars.

I used Vo Hataru's skin material on Babyface but she has a glitter on her skin and is very pale, so you would have to put in some pink to make her more healthy looking and dial down the specularity. Still, the skin is flawless.

That is exactly the dress I had in mind and was describing to you! smileyyes

The hair looks good on Babyface. If you want it recreate Jean Harlow, it will have to be definitely lighter though. After all she was the "Platinum Blonde"! smiley

Cannot wait to see that dress. It is HOT!

Oh, I'm not a platinum member, so it's $14. When I get paid maybe :-) I'll look around in the meantime at my Runtime, maybe I'll find something better.

You're right - I need to really lighten the hair. I think I used my "blond" setting instead of platinum. My bad.

Dress is coming along!

@K8sGraphics - sorry, I somehow missed your post before. I'm sure you'll come up with something excellent. You have a good eye! smiley

@perlk - I'm really looking forward to seeing this dress and your renders with Babyface!

The dress part is done, but I'm having a hell of a time with the criss-cross sash thingy. I've tried just about everything to make it look not warp-y. It looks hideous and I'm not sure what to do about it. Soooo frustrated...

dinner-at-8test.png
    600 x 600 - 325K
  • perlk said:

The dress part is done, but I'm having a hell of a time with the criss-cross sash thingy. I've tried just about everything to make it look not warp-y. It looks hideous and I'm not sure what to do about it. Soooo frustrated...

Maybe a dForce weight map,  holding down alt when using weight brush to remove areas so they won't be draped.

Caution: FIRST make and 'save' the dress. Because after adding the dForce weight map, if I recall correctly, it all gets saved again as a scene subset {just the dress with the dForce weight map, don't include figure etc.}

Catherine3678ab said:

perlk said:

Maybe a dForce weight map,  holding down alt when using weight brush to remove areas so they won't be draped.

Caution: FIRST make and 'save' the dress. Because after adding the dForce weight map, if I recall correctly, it all gets saved again as a scene subset {just the dress with the dForce weight map, don't include figure etc.}

Yeah, that's what you're looking at, unfortunately. I kept thinking it was the smoothing. Or maybe I don't want to do it as a separate set of polygons - maybe I could do them as lines on the dress... I dunno. I've tried doing a separate dress over top with an opacity map but that looks stupid, too.

It's probably bad modeling :-)

• No not necessarily. If you want me to give it a try package the .obj, host it somewhere [Google Drive would be great] and PM a link for the 'everyone' choice].

@perlk - I'm so sorry you are having problems with the dress. I wish I could help you but I know nothing about modelling clothes - especially using dForce. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works out...

@Catherine3678ab - Thank you for helping perlk out! This dress is really awesome and I'd love to see it work!

• ShadowBox24ShadowBox24 Posts: 184
    edited August 2022

Hi Aobb & Perlk,

Just to let you know that I have made hair and brows for Ms Harlow.(see cpl ruff img)

Hopefully I can upload tomorrow!

Barbz xx

PS I also havent forgotten Ms Taylor

Image or images are taking ages to upload......AGAIN!!

I wish Daz would sortout this upload issues... I'll try gallery!

EDIT - Jean Harlow - W.I.P Hair & Brow | Daz 3D gallery link.

Post edited by ShadowBox24 on
    edited August 2022

@shadowbox24 - that looks great! When can we download it?

@AOBB - I got it :-)

dinner-at-8test.png
    600 x 600 - 225K
    Post edited by perlk on

@Catherine3678ab - It was the dreaded too many polygons, too high smoothing.

• I have a couple of Arryn's dresses, which behave beautifully with dForce. They seem to average in the 1-1.5cm range of polygon size, getting up to 2cm on the more fluttery bits of a dress. Leads to quite a few poly's total, but as they're mostly rectangular it seems to work pretty well.

Regards,

Richard

@AOBB - is there a way to get Babyface to work with Genesis 8 instead of 8.1? I can't figure it out. I have a good skin to use but it is for V4, and the legacy UV product only works on G8 and not G8.1.

Actually, never mind. I found this fab freebie which might do the trick: https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/91460/victoria-4-skin-for-g8f

• perlk said:

Actually, never mind. I found this fab freebie which might do the trick: https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/91460/victoria-4-skin-for-g8f

Cool find, thank you :-) 

edited August 2022

@ShadowBox24 - thank you for your hard work! Babyface looks good in your gallery! smiley

@perlk - Did you manage to use the new V4 skin material on G8.1F? I believe there is a way to convert G8.1 to G8 and if you cannot manage any other way, I could do it for you. The dress looks scrumptious!!! yessmiley

Post edited by AOBB on

@perlk - Here is Babyface retrofitted for G8F. Enjoy!

zip
    zip
    Babyface G8F.zip
    2M