Genesis 3 Female to Poser Tutorial

Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

This is a tutorial on how to get Genesis 3 Female into Poser 2014. It's not perfect and just shows the basics, I'm no expert so take it easy !
Face expression don't work due to the fact there are no groups for the face bones, I think it's because they get lost in the conversion to TriAx Weight maps. Best Viewed in HD !

https://youtu.be/PNHx4DqAFeA

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2015

Doesn't converting to TriAx just turn it into another G2F with less content?

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

I'm just giving poser people an option, nothing more nothing less. They asked for it and I'm just trying to help !
  • PendarianPendarian Posts: 17
    edited June 2015

I think it was nice of you to give it a try.

Post edited by Pendarian on
    edited December 1969

I think it was nice of you to give it a try.

Thanks Debbi, if anyone's got some ideas just post away !
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2015

Vaskania said:

I'm just giving poser people an option, nothing more nothing less. They asked for it and I'm just trying to help !
    I wasn't knocking you for it.
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Vaskania said:

I wasn't knocking you for it.
    So much negative stuff out there at the moment it's hard to tell frend from foe.
    Thanks!
  • edited December 1969

Good video. Thanks.

• 3DXcentric3DXcentric Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Can someone list the pros and cons to using this method? Is it a decent strategy for now? With the hope if full functionality later?

edited December 1969

Here's my opinion

cons
    1. No expressions, impossible to do as face bones relate to a weight map not a group
    2. Clothing will work by the same method but poser isn't taken into account when rigging them so poke through may happen.
    3. Material are a bit flat but if people wanted to work at it they would be good as V4

Pros
    1. Morphs all work well V7 is good.
    2. All other DSON stuff comes across poses work exactly the same in poser

just play with Genesis 3 Female before you decide there is free clothing and hair to work with.

• TRRazorTRRazor Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

Thanks midnight_stories for sharing!

In the end it is a real bummer that the expressions don't carry over using this method.
    But for now I guess it's better than not having G3 in Poser at all.

I'm sure, a lot of people will find this very helpful.

Good work!

• digitelldigitell Posts: 558
    edited June 2015

Thank you so much Midnight Stories for posting this for us! Very much obliged! :)
    I am having a bit of trouble however..I am getting her into Poser just fine, but when I bend her arms or other body parts she breaks.
    Is anyone else experiencing this? I even tried choosing under Figures>Poser Unmesh and she still breaks when I poser her.
    Thank you again and maybe there is a simple fix for this!

Image removed for Nudity

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited December 1969

I followed the youtube tutorial precise but got the same issue in Poser. Hope it will get supported through dson in the future.

• DrNewcensteinDrNewcenstein Posts: 816
    edited December 1969

Looks like the divorce is final. While the tutorial presented here is fine, the lack of facial morphs is a deal-breaker. As a long-time Poser devotee, and one who has always gotten a serious headache from Studio's interface, it looks like the only way to have fun with Genesis 3 will be in Daz Studio.

edited December 1969

Sorry guys, I have no idea why the mesh would be breaking, this is the first I've heard of it. It's usually vertex being left behind, which is more a poser bug, we got that with Dusk. So mesh breaking sounds like more a DSON issue. Really I'm just showing you how I did it, as people asked for it, Why it doesn't work you will have to point that at Smithmicro as they made poser and would have a better idea than me. Sorry it didn't work. I know people are having success with the Collada export from daz!

• edited December 1969

I updated everything [Poser to SR5.2 and reinstalled Dson with the new DAZ Install Manager. And the bending works and most of the morphs works too.

edited December 1969

Rbrt09090 said:
    I updated everything [Poser to SR5.2 and reinstalled Dson with the new DAZ Install Manager. And the bending works and most of the morphs works too.
    Wow I'm totally behind I only have SR3.1 Glad it's working !
  • davidcaputokeenedavidcaputokeene Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Thank you our Aussie friend - great help.

edited December 1969

dave43 said:
    Thank you our Aussie friend - great help.

Go Aussie Go !!!
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited December 1969

and Mimic works
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNHx4DqAFeA
    pasted link on your vid too but Yt will probably spam hide it

edited December 1969

and Mimic works
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNHx4DqAFeA
    pasted link on your vid too but Yt will probably spam hide it

Thanks wendy !
    I just approved the comment, there are some bad people out there so I have to filter them out.
  • pimanjcpimanjc Posts: 11
    edited July 2015

I converted Skyler G2 to Poser by taking the cr2, py, and duf files from another G2F figure and replacing the file paths and file names from Skyler. A copy of the image is in my gallery. I do not have Daz Studio installed on my computer.

Post edited by pimanjc on
  • RHatchRHatch Posts: 49
    edited December 1969

pimanjc said:
    I converted Skyler G2 to Poser by taking the cr2, py, and duf files from another G2F figure and replacing the file paths and file names from Skyler. A copy of the image is in my gallery.

Or you could've just made Poser companion files in DAZ|Studio - works perfectly and has less chance of user error. Genesis 2 works almost 100% in Poser. Only a few clothing items made for DS don't work in Poser, and neither does geografting (it sort of almost works).

However, this thread is about Genesis 3. Genesis is currently not properly compatible with Poser.

• Thanks so much Midnight_Stories ; far as I'm concerned your tutorial works fine (I've got PP2014 SR3 something...because for some weird reasons with SR4 or SR5 installed I can't import obj or other 3D files, I've got an error message !). In fact it didn't work OK before I realized I had to unzip DS files in Poser, then delete everything but data and runtime (support can be deleted too) and then follow your great tutorial. I'd like to add that V4 or G2F hair work well, just change a bit (0.002 or 0.004) Y position and parent to head. The textures are a bit disappointing in Poser. Like Newc I think the divorce is final, a pity for Daz because I'll never leave Poser for DS which is a nightmare where the interface and libraries (content, my library, people...where are things ?) are concerned. There are so many gifted and generous artists that one of these days someone will find something out.

• Nester751Nester751 Posts: 363

Thank you so much Midnight_Stories. Very much appreciate the youtube posts.

• I will have to try this thanks!

• Sorry guys, I have no idea why the mesh would be breaking, this is the first I've heard of it. It's usually vertex being left behind, which is more a poser bug, we got that with Dusk. So mesh breaking sounds like more a DSON issue. Really I'm just showing you how I did it, as people asked for it, Why it doesn't work you will have to point that at Smithmicro as they made poser and would have a better idea than me. Sorry it didn't work. I know people are having success with the Collada export from daz!

Midnight stories - I have had great success with G3F into poser - but I have been wrestling with the fact that I get a single vertex that is misplaced/distorted and which cause a hole in the upper neck texture - it occurs with every scene subset that I import into poser - is this the 'vertex left behind' that you refer to above? I find it in the geometry if I open the .obj without world transforms in Modo. I just don't know what is causing this or how to correct and reinsert the corrected .obj. Any ideas would be appreciated. As ever go OZ!

• So I gather from reading this thread that DAZ has no plans to make Genesis 3 Poser compatible? I really prefer to use Poser and have invested a great deal of money in it but the native Poser content is terrible. it's awesome that the OP has gone to the trouble of figuring this out and posted the tutorial but what would be even more awesome is for DAZ to make a DSON Poser installer. I won't buy Genesis 3 content without it.

• dave43 said:

Sorry guys, I have no idea why the mesh would be breaking, this is the first I've heard of it. It's usually vertex being left behind, which is more a poser bug, we got that with Dusk. So mesh breaking sounds like more a DSON issue. Really I'm just showing you how I did it, as people asked for it, Why it doesn't work you will have to point that at Smithmicro as they made poser and would have a better idea than me. Sorry it didn't work. I know people are having success with the Collada export from daz!

Midnight stories - I have had great success with G3F into poser - but I have been wrestling with the fact that I get a single vertex that is misplaced/distorted and which cause a hole in the upper neck texture - it occurs with every scene subset that I import into poser - is this the 'vertex left behind' that you refer to above? I find it in the geometry if I open the .obj without world transforms in Modo. I just don't know what is causing this or how to correct and reinsert the corrected .obj. Any ideas would be appreciated. As ever go OZ!

Usually when there is something floating around it's because there is some poly's not assigned to a group. It's like finding a needle in a haystack. So check in the geometry tool editor. Also there may be a stray weight map. I'm just giving it my best guess. So really it could be anything.

poly-groups.jpg
    1920 x 1044 - 481K
  • Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited October 2015

This is a tutorial on how to get Genesis 3 Female into Poser 2014. It's not perfect and just shows the basics, I'm no expert so take it easy !
    Face expression don't work due to the fact there are no groups for the face bones, I think it's because they get lost in the conversion to TriAx Weight maps. Best Viewed in HD !

https://youtu.be/PNHx4DqAFeA

There should be more people like you that share info, or better tutorials.

like to see your first zbrush/daz tutorial in the daz shop.
    and learn from your workflow.

Post edited by Fixme12 on
  • erogenesiserogenesis Posts: 7
    edited October 2015

Face expression don't work due to the fact there are no groups for the face bones, I think it's because they get lost in the conversion to TriAx Weight maps.

hey, maybe someone else suggested it, but in Poser you can tell a bone to influence another group, even if its not associated with it. I use it all the time for my figures. In principle, the face bones could be made to work. In the joint editor you can just select a group in the drop-down. The only problem is that the WM map info might have been lost. I'm wondering if there is a way to copy the WM map from DS to Poser...?

Edit: which file contains the blended weight map data? Who knows the corresponding vertices might still match up somewhat. Then you could paste that into wherever the facial bones are told to influence.... in THEORY lol!

Post edited by erogenesis on