Copy parts of a figure/character - just the head for instance

HeraHera Posts: 1,952
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello!

I know this has been addressed before but I cannot find the thread anymore - so bear with me.

If I have a character/figure in the scene - like the Genesis Demonic Race - and just want to copy the head characteristics over to the head of another Genesis figure, and leave the rest of the body unchanged - how do I do that?

Comments

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    Hello!

I know this has been addressed before but I cannot find the thread anymore - so bear with me.

If I have a character/figure in the scene - like the Genesis Demonic Race - and just want to copy the head characteristics over to the head of another Genesis figure, and leave the rest of the body unchanged - how do I do that?

Select the source figure, and then File->Save As->Shaping Preset

Select the place to save it and the name, and then a box appears allowing to select the parts of the shape you want to select, ensure the only Head is checked.

Now select the target figure and double click the shaping preset you created above, this should only copy over the head.

Note that it the head was shaped by full body morphs aswell these would not copy across and so the head would not look the same. The method I described only works for heads shaped using morphs that only alter the head.

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited December 1969

Have you tried Severed. You can apply most Genesis morphs to the individual parts.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

Havos said:
    Herakleia said:
    Hello!

Select the place to save it and the name, and then a box appears allowing to select the parts of the shape you want to select, ensure the only Head is checked.

Now select the target figure and double click the shaping preset you created above, this should only copy over the head.

I do just as described but I cannot get it to work, I don't get any result from it.
    Then I try Character Preset, but it doesn't let me select any parts of the character, it just copies the complete shape and then I'm back on square one.

edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    Havos said:
    Herakleia said:
    Hello!

I do just as described but I cannot get it to work, I don't get any result from it.
    Then I try Character Preset, but it doesn't let me select any parts of the character, it just copies the complete shape and then I'm back on square one.

Are you certain the head is not coming from a full body morph? And if the head morph is separate, it could be that it is grouped under Actor rather than Actor/Head, in which case selecting Head only in the shaping preset will not help. You might want to open up the duf file created by your duf shaping preset to see exactly what it is trying to set, it might be just setting all values to default if the head is being created by morphs not grouped under Actor/Head.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

Havos said:
    [
    Are you certain the head is not coming from a full body morph?

I think it's a full body morph - if you by that mean it's a single click and it changes the whole Genesis. Because that's what this very morph does. (I'ts HellFish's Demonics) That's the very reason I just want the head, because I want the body to be different, especially the feet.

edited June 2015

Herakleia said:
    Havos said:
    [
    Are you certain the head is not coming from a full body morph?

I think it's a full body morph - if you by that mean it's a single click and it changes the whole Genesis. Because that's what this very morph does. (I'ts HellFish's Demonics) That's the very reason I just want the head, because I want the body to be different, especially the feet.

Then it will be very difficult to separate out just the head. The morph slider changes both the body and head at the same time, so there is nothing you can do to make it change just the head alone. Unfortunately there are quite a few morphs out there that do this, when a separate head and body morph would be a more flexible option.

Is there a body only morph? If so you can use that in a negative direction to dial out the body morph so that only the head is morphed. If not, then your only option is going to be pretty advanced. You would need to export the full body morph out to a morphing app like hexagon or zbrush, then slice off the body, and replace it with the genesis one. Not a task for the faint hearted!

Anyone out there knows an easier way to separate a full body morph into its head and body parts?

Post edited by Havos on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited June 2015

Only way I know is to export two base objects no subdivision one morphed one way the other as you want the bottom half,
    import both and hide opposite parts with geometry editor delete hidden and re-export the obj as a morph target
    your neck join could be a bit odd

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited June 2015

I've been trying to do the same exact thing as Heraklia and was asking about it in another thread only using RawArts TyRex for Genesis.

I came to the same conclusions that both Havos and Wendy suggested.

But does exporting/importing using this method lose the rigging?

Thank you both for the very useful info.

Post edited by NoName99 on
    edited December 1969

dinopt said:
    I've been trying to do the same exact thing as Heraklia and was asking about it in another thread only using RawArts TyRex for Genesis.

I came to the same conclusions that both Havos and Wendy suggested.

But does exporting/importing using this method lose the rigging?

Thank you both for the very useful info.

you import it as a morph using morph loader
  • NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited December 1969

Ok cool, I've never worked with morph loader before so this is new territory but I'm going to give this a try,.

Thanks again.

edited December 1969

dinopt said:
    Ok cool, I've never worked with morph loader before so this is new territory but I'm going to give this a try,.

Thanks again.

Like with any export, intending to become imported as a morph you need to be careful that the number of vertices remains the same, and the order of those vertices does not change. If you can do that, then it is possible (though not easy) to slice one head from a body, and then attached it to another. Naturally you also need to be careful that the head is welding back on at the neck, otherwise your final morph is likely to have some unpredictable effectes.

• I was wondering if there is a way to copy just the face from a Genesis 3 morph (not the full character) to another Genesis 3 character?  Reason I ask is because I want to use some African-American characters in my animated series that is currently in development, and I only need the faces and not the full figures.

Also, if I wanted to copy Genesis 3 Growing Up morphs to Genesis 8, how could I do that, if possible?

• There's a long thread on ways to transfer (non-HD) morphs between generations.

For splitting a (non-HD) morph down, you can use export/Moprh Loader pro with the Attenuate option set to aw eight map, or for a hard transition you can exclude vertices with the Geometry Editor tool, or you can use X-Morphs https://www.daz3d.com/x-morphs

the attenuation feature in morphloader did not exist when most of these necrothreads existed

Think you can create a temporary weighmap to do it too on any body part using Dform