A valid PostgreSQL connection could not be established

So, I got this error message, "A valid PostgreSQL connection could not be established". What am I supposed to do to fix that? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mac or Windows? Did you isntall one version of PostgreSQL (not the Valentina to PostgreSQL Conversion Utility)? Which one? What security software are you using? If Windows, open Task Manager (e.g. right-click on the Task Bar), enable More details (if it isn't), and scroll down to the list of background processes - do several entries for postgreSQL appear when Daz Studio or one of the installers are running?

• odasteinodastein Posts: 606

Richard Haseltine said:

Mac or Windows? Did you isntall one version of PostgreSQL (not the Valentina to PostgreSQL Conversion Utility)? Which one? What security software are you using? If Windows, open Task Manager (e.g. right-click on the Task Bar), enable More details (if it isn't), and scroll down to the list of background processes - do several entries for postgreSQL appear when Daz Studio or one of the installers are running?

I'm on Windows. I didn't install any version of PostgreSQL (but I've been using this download of DAZ for months without this error message appearing). I'm using AVG, but even when disabled, I still have the same error message. No postgresSQL entry appear in the task manager when I run DAZ Studio, nor when I run DAZ Install or DAZCentral. 

Also : I see that PostgresSQL has something to do with a cloud? Does it mean that I'm using/was using a cloud? What for? What exactly is Postgress SQL doing and why do I need it?

• odastein said:

Also : I see that PostgresSQL has something to do with a cloud? Does it mean that I'm using/was using a cloud? What for? What exactly is Postgress SQL doing and why do I need it?

PostgreSQL is the databse used for the Content Management System - it uses Internet Protocol to communicate with daz Studio, but the machine is purely on your local machine - this is why security software is a suspect. Files installed through Daz Studio itself (Daz Connect) go into a folder named cloud, but they are stored locally none-the-less. Daz Studio does not need external access to work.

Another possible issue is disc space or folder permissions for the database itself - by default that is on the C: drive, in

%appdata%/daz 3d/cms/ContentCluster/

Database corruption might also be an issue, and is a risk if you have force quit Daz Studio or if there was a system crash, especially while the applicatuion was shutting down.

Richard Haseltine said:

odastein said:

PostgreSQL is the databse used for the Content Management System - it uses Internet Protocol to communicate with daz Studio, but the machine is purely on your local machine - this is why security software is a suspect. Files installed through Daz Studio itself (Daz Connect) go into a folder named cloud, but they are stored locally none-the-less. Daz Studio does not need external access to work.

Another possible issue is disc space or folder permissions for the database itself - by default that is on the C: drive, in

%appdata%/daz 3d/cms/ContentCluster/

Database corruption might also be an issue, and is a risk if you have force quit Daz Studio or if there was a system crash, especially while the applicatuion was shutting down.

Thanks for the explanation. I found the files, but in a different place : appdata/daz3d/64-bit/daz3d  . No cms or contentcluster. Not sure if it matters. There's also something in appdata/daz3d/installmanager

I have a lot of disk space. How would I know about folder permissions? I didn't experience a crash, recently, but assuming that something is corrupted, how could I install again whatever is missing?

I noticed that the DAZ studio shortcut on my desk also disappeared. Could that be indicative of something?

• Did you paste that excat path into a file browser window's address bar? The paths you give do not look correct (%appdata% will expand to C:/users/YOU/AppData/Roaming/).

• vectorinusvectorinus Posts: 112

Also, check the string that is in the CMS options menu:  Edit -> Preferences -> CMS Settings -> Cluster Directory.

There should be a path to the PostgreSQL CMS, which is located in the same folder with your working Daz Studio and not some other one.

Richard Haseltine said:

Did you paste that excat path into a file browser window's address bar? The paths you give do not look correct (%appdata% will expand to C:/users/YOU/AppData/Roaming/).

OK, I've found the cms/ContentCluster folder, thank you. There's a postgresql.conf file there. But what am I supposed to do or to look for?

edited July 2022

vectorinus said:

Also, check the string that is in the CMS options menu:  Edit -> Preferences -> CMS Settings -> Cluster Directory.

There should be a path to the PostgreSQL CMS, which is located in the same folder with your working Daz Studio and not some other one.

There's no path there. There's : Cluster directory : none  Port:    1024 (see image)

Should I add a path to the postgresql.conf file situated in DAZ3D/cms/contentcluster? Or maybe to the CMS folder itself?

cms settings.PNG
    491 x 346 - 20K
    Post edited by odastein on
  • odastein said:

vectorinus said:

There's no path there. There's : Cluster directory : none  Port:    1024 (see image)

Should I add a path to the postgresql.conf file situated in DAZ3D/cms/contentcluster? Or maybe to the CMS folder itself?

Set it to DAZ3D/cms/, not to the Content Cluster folder (the  system will create that for you in the folder you select). However, I suspect it won't stick - it's possible that soemthing is interfering with or blocking the writing to that location. If that is the case you may need to set a differnt folder, and see if that sticks (though it won't then have any existing entries)

Richard Haseltine said:

odastein said:

vectorinus said:

Set it to DAZ3D/cms/, not to the Content Cluster folder (the  system will create that for you in the folder you select). However, I suspect it won't stick - it's possible that soemthing is interfering with or blocking the writing to that location. If that is the case you may need to set a differnt folder, and see if that sticks (though it won't then have any existing entries)

It indeed doesn't stick. I'm not sure what you mean by "set a different folder and see if that sticks" : just set any random folder to see if anyhting sticks? If it's what you mean, then no. I tried a couple random folders, and the entry reverted to "none". 

• odastein said:

Richard Haseltine said:

odastein said:

vectorinus said:

It indeed doesn't stick. I'm not sure what you mean by "set a different folder and see if that sticks" : just set any random folder to see if anyhting sticks? If it's what you mean, then no. I tried a couple random folders, and the entry reverted to "none". 

OK, that means that the configuration file or folder can't be updated. Try deleting the config file, with DS closed, and see if it works on a restart. If not you may need to completely delete the CMS folder 9well, in the first instance move it) and see if it is then rebuild in accessible form. If not then it may well be security software or a system utility getting in the way.

Richard Haseltine said:

odastein said:

Richard Haseltine said:

odastein said:

vectorinus said:

OK, that means that the configuration file or folder can't be updated. Try deleting the config file, with DS closed, and see if it works on a restart. If not you may need to completely delete the CMS folder 9well, in the first instance move it) and see if it is then rebuild in accessible form. If not then it may well be security software or a system utility getting in the way.

What do you call the "config file"? Postgresql.con, I guess? 

• Yes, sorry

Richard Haseltine said:

Yes, sorry

OK, it didn't work, I keep having the error message after having deleted the CMS folder. Besides, now, I have only one file left in the CMS folder (cmscgf.json) and no more contentcluster folder in it. And I have now a new problem : if I try to save a scene in the folder where all my previous scenes are, it's saved like a scene subset instead.

I've no idea what could interfere. I had no issue until some days ago, and didn't install anything new. And the issue stays if I disable my antivirus.

I updated DAZ, but everything stays the same.

• On saving do you mean it prompts you for a file name (which would be working as Save As) or that you get the dialogue asking which items you wish to include (which is Scene Subset)?

Richard Haseltine said:

On saving do you mean it prompts you for a file name (which would be working as Save As) or that you get the dialogue asking which items you wish to include (which is Scene Subset)?

In fact, this is now fixed. The folders where the scenes and scene subsets are saved had changed : saved scenes were going in the empty cms folder, and saved scene subsets were going in the folder where the scenes are usually saved.

Is there a solution to my postgresql problem, apart from deleting and reainstalling DAZ Studio? Would that even work?

• I doubt unisntalling/reinstalling would help, unfortunately I don't know what would.

• vectorinusvectorinus Posts: 112
    edited July 2022

odastein said:

In the CMS Settings I have the path: "C:\Daz 3D\Applications\64-bit\DAZ 3D\PostgreSQL CMS" and the Daz Studio itself is located in the same folder "DAZ 3D" too.

Its path is: "C:\Daz 3D\Applications\64-bit\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4"  You need to locate your Daz Studio folder and see if the PostgreSQL CMS folder is there too. If it is true, then you need to specify the path to this Postgre folder in the CMS Settings.

Post edited by vectorinus on

Richard Haseltine said:

I doubt unisntalling/reinstalling would help, unfortunately I don't know what would.

Thank you for trying to help. Is there a point in writing a ticket about this issue? 

• odastein said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I doubt unisntalling/reinstalling would help, unfortunately I don't know what would.

Thank you for trying to help. Is there a point in writing a ticket about this issue? 

Support may have tools that will help, I don't know.

vectorinus said:

odastein said:

In the CMS Settings I have the path: "C:\Daz 3D\Applications\64-bit\DAZ 3D\PostgreSQL CMS" and the Daz Studio itself is located in the same folder "DAZ 3D" too.

Its path is: "C:\Daz 3D\Applications\64-bit\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4"  You need to locate your Daz Studio folder and see if the PostgreSQL CMS folder is there too. If it is true, then you need to specify the path to this Postgre folder in the CMS Settings.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I can't do that because the the path in the CMS settings keeps reverting to  "none"