Added a figure to my scene and now renders are black

I had a scene that I just rendered and decided to add another figure and now when I hit render it instantly gives me a black frame. I tried reloading the same scene to before I added and that file also renders black. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I just updated my gpu driver after I was able to start rendering with cpu checked in advanced settings. After updating my driver I unchecked cpu again and it still renders black. So im guessing there is a issue with my gpu?
Post edited by reflectivewanderer on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,657

Have you tried to restart Daz Studio?

Have you fallback to CPU enabled?

• felis said:

Have you tried to restart Daz Studio?

Have you fallback to CPU enabled?

I restarted my computer and cpu fallback is unchecked. Still black

If CPU fallback is unchecked, it might be that the additional character causes that you are running out of VRAM, so no available render.

What does your log say?

• felis said:

If CPU fallback is unchecked, it might be that the additional character causes that you are running out of VRAM, so no available render.

What does your log say?

where do i find the log? Also this problem is happening with previous saves of the same scene without the figure added

Log is in Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File

• felis said:

Log is in Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File

i checked the log file and there is this string at the end

-06-29 08:49:23.746 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Available GPU memory has increased since out-of-memory failure. Re-enabling CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070)
    2022-06-29 08:49:23.751 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Initializing OptiX for CUDA device 0
    2022-06-29 08:49:24.032 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 1 device(s):
    2022-06-29 08:49:24.032 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info :     CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070)
    2022-06-29 08:49:24.033 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    2022-06-29 08:49:24.033 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.17  IRAY   rend progr: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070): Processing scene...
    2022-06-29 08:49:29.515 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.13  IRAY   rend error: Unable to allocate 5.000 MiB from 0.000 B of available device memory
    2022-06-29 08:49:29.565 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.17  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070): Scene setup failed
    2022-06-29 08:49:29.635 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.17  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070): Device failed while rendering
    2022-06-29 08:49:29.642 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.17  IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070) ran out of memory and is temporarily unavailable for rendering.
    2022-06-29 08:49:29.895 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.17  IRAY   rend warn : All available GPUs failed.
    2022-06-29 08:49:29.941 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.17  IRAY   rend error: Fallback to CPU not allowed.
    2022-06-29 08:49:29.941 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.17  IRAY   rend error: All workers failed: aborting render
    2022-06-29 08:49:29.978 [ERROR] Iray :: Internal rendering error.
    2022-06-29 08:49:30.653 [INFO] :: Saved image: C:\Users\refle\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp\render\r.png
    2022-06-29 08:49:30.740 [INFO] :: Finished Rendering
    2022-06-29 08:49:31.695 [INFO] :: Total Rendering Time: 2 minutes 2.21 seconds

i have restarted my computer multiple times so I dont understand why I have no GPU memory available

edited June 2022

Well, the first line says it is out of memory, so I would assume that the memory allocations higher up in the log has filled the available memory.

Memory use is highly dependant on subD level of the characters, as well as if you are dForce (SBH) hair.

Post edited by felis on
  • let me attach the whole file and see if you can see anything. I am new to daz and im unfamiliar with all the jargon. I was able to reload the scene from a previous save and it would render. When I added the third figure however it clearly didnt like it since it rendered black again

txt
    txt
    log.txt
    6M
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,479

The log is quite a mess... First of all, you are apparently using Iray Viewport while trying to render in Iray - This may already cause the rendering to stop due to lack of VRAM (as fallback to CPU has been disabled)

Does not affect rendering, but keeping/saving stuff on Onedrive is really a bad idea.

Your log is missing all the information from starting DS (important information)

• PerttiA said:

The log is quite a mess... First of all, you are apparently using Iray Viewport while trying to render in Iray - This may already cause the rendering to stop due to lack of VRAM (as fallback to CPU has been disabled)

Does not affect rendering, but keeping/saving stuff on Onedrive is really a bad idea.

Your log is missing all the information from starting DS (important information)

Weird that it says I'm in iray preview when I thought it was on texture shaded and looks like texture shaded. Not sure a out one drive.. I didn't know I was even using it since I've never set it up. Also I attached the log file as is so I don't know why it cut information out

It looks like to me that you are using an ultrascenery environment. That takes up some ressources too.

And then there is a bunch of images. And after that it loads a character with SubD set to 4, but that is changed to SubD 2 to reduce geometry.

So for sure you are running out of memory.

Due to ultrascenary, you can try to go to render settings > Optimization > Instancing Optimazation. That should be on memory. If not you can try to change it and see if it improves anything.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,251

Open Task Manager and watch the GPU status. Dedicated GPU memory usage will give you an idea of what's happening. If it maxes out, the render will likely fail without CPU fallback. You can change one of the graphs to show CUDA use, which is an indication of whether the GPU is being used to render.

• felis said:

It looks like to me that you are using an ultrascenery environment. That takes up some ressources too.

And then there is a bunch of images. And after that it loads a character with SubD set to 4, but that is changed to SubD 2 to reduce geometry.

So for sure you are running out of memory.

Due to ultrascenary, you can try to go to render settings > Optimization > Instancing Optimazation. That should be on memory. If not you can try to change it and see if it improves anything.

I think the third figure is the one that is subd4 and being reduced. At this point I'm just going to render it with the cpu since I was planning on letting it cook for 12 hrs anywys

Are you over-/underclocking your GPU or system in general?

If you are using Texture Shaded Viewport, do you have the secondary Viewport visible and is it also texture shaded?

Something in your scene is causing the rendering to start over and over and over again and I thought it was the Viewport - The repeated render attempts, combined with a possible memory leak, may also be the cause for running out of VRAM

If you are using the denoiser, disable it.
    Take your rendering settings down to basic (default), that could give an idea of what is the culprit.

• PerttiA said:

If you are using Texture Shaded Viewport, do you have the secondary Viewport visible and is it also texture shaded?

Something in your scene is causing the rendering to start over and over and over again and I thought it was the Viewport - The repeated render attempts, combined with a possible memory leak, may also be the cause for running out of VRAM

Take your rendering settings down to basic (default), that could give an idea of what is the culprit.

How do I check to see if the secondary Viewport is set to texture shaded? I'm not overlooking or underclocking my gpu The other day when I tried to iray preview this scene the loading bar kept going and never brought up the preview. So maybe that's the memory leak?
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,233
    edited June 2022

PerttiA said:

+1 I only use it for screen shots. Othe wise it back evrything. (eg:  desktop, pictures, and My Documents), My documents which by default is where your scenes are stored. Then files on demand takes over and stuff just get lost. Here are my setting for Onedrive below.

Hope this helps more than one person.

2022-06-29.png
    1920 x 1080 - 216K
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

reflectivewanderer said:

PerttiA said:

How do I check to see if the secondary Viewport is set to texture shaded? I'm not overlooking or underclocking my gpu The other day when I tried to iray preview this scene the loading bar kept going and never brought up the preview. So maybe that's the memory leak?

It has the same controls as the primary Viewport has, but if it's not in use, close it to save screen space. 

• PerttiA said:

reflectivewanderer said:

PerttiA said:

It has the same controls as the primary Viewport has, but if it's not in use, close it to save screen space. 

How do I close it?

reflectivewanderer said:

How do I close it?

Right-click on the tab that says 'viewport' and there is an option to close it. 

• felis said:

reflectivewanderer said:

How do I close it?

Right-click on the tab that says 'viewport' and there is an option to close it. 

Ahhh duhh the aux viewport