Face transfer so much better

My 3D SpinMy 3D Spin Posts: 600

Have the uppgrade of Daz made Face transfer better. I am getting much better skin and eyes now..

Comments

• What version did you have before? I've used FT extensively from 4.15 --> 4.16 --> 4.20 and haven't noticed a versional change in output per se.

• My 3D SpinMy 3D Spin Posts: 600
    edited June 2022

4.14 and now i have 4.20 and the skin and eyes comes out much better than before. And also the resemblence
    of the image comes out much better.

Billion dollar Man.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by My 3D Spin on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,024

My 3D Spin said:

4.14 and now i have 4.20 and the skin and eyes comes out much better than before. And also the resemblence

Sure looks like an improvement :-)

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064

My 3D Spin said:

Can you post a comparison?  Use the same photo on 4.15 and 4.20, and let's see the results.

• This is a 4.20 one I did a few days ago. I don't use the eyes that Face Transfer creates but I do use the skin. The main issues I feel like I run into are washed-out faces and disproportionate jawlines.

As I'm about to do an entire renovation of my cast of characters, I'm currently working on improving/streamlining my creation process. So I'm always curious about other people's work with Face Transfer.

Whimsy.jpg
    1623 x 1298 - 712K
  • paulawp (marahzen) said:

What version did you have before? I've used FT extensively from 4.15 --> 4.16 --> 4.20 and haven't noticed a versional change in output per se.

There has not been any change for you to notice, if there had been that would have been noted in the Change Log

• FedermannFedermann Posts: 111

Some nice 'Face Transfers' in this thread. As a newbie I find the additional product from the DAZ shop "Face Transfer Shapes for Genesis 8 " [link] very handy which fixes those odd jawlines instantly. No doubt you could manually use sliders to accomplish the same or even  a better result reshaping the outline of your model (i.e. photo original)..

I also own 'HeadShop' but I am still recovering from the trauma of getting it to work (at all); still unsure if it is any better than good old "Face Transfer", for now it is in my personal top 5 of DAZ shop worst buys.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Would be nice if there was a "room" where we could work the blending a bit and choose a skin from our library to better match the face, before we send it to Studio itself.

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,105
    edited June 2022

These characters are done with Face Transfer Shapes at 75% - my default. (You can't reasonably use Face Transfer without Face Transfer Shapes.)

I've had others comment on it, and I see it, too: Some FT characters, from some angles, have a jaw along the bottom line to the angle that seems disproportionate to the rest of the face. IMO, this girl is affected more than the guy. Her hair obscures it in this shot - it's more pronounced in the other picture I posted. That said, if I spent some time with morphs, I could fix it. These are quickly done from the source image, with no morphs and minimal tweaking.

I haven't used HeadShop but I started out with FaceGen and from my experience, its oddities (it creates overly wide, squirrel-faced figures with oddly long noses) are harder to fix. I use FT exclusively now.

BridgeAgent.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 926K
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on

Paintbox said:

Would be nice if there was a "room" where we could work the blending a bit and choose a skin from our library to better match the face, before we send it to Studio itself.

The 'room' is called Hexagon. First save your FT subscene. Then send your morphed figure over the bridge to Hexagon.

In Hexagon continue shaping the face as you please being VERY careful around 'edges' such all that eye mesh contains. If they came over, delete the eyelashes.

In D/S clear the scene, load in a fresh unmorphed base figure. "0" all the subdivision, base resolution and no eyelashes. Have the bridge options for Hexagon to Advanced.

When ready, send the morphed figure over the bridge back to D/S and in the dialogue that pops up, make the morph. Unique name. For the moment leave the location as is, that can be easily adjusted later {I say this because on my computer the choices overflow the boundaries of the monitor}. REVERSE deformations. Test the morph, if it's a keeper, then dial it to ZERO and Save it.

Now you can choose any skin in your library, including the new one that was saved by Face Transfer. When satisfied, save out a new mat file for your new character :-)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,604

My 3D Spin said:

Great looking Elon! Nice job!

• FedermannFedermann Posts: 111

paulawp (marahzen) said:

These characters are done with Face Transfer Shapes at 75% - my default. (You can't reasonably use Face Transfer without Face Transfer Shapes.)

I've had others comment on it, and I see it, too: Some FT characters, from some angles, have a jaw along the bottom line to the angle that seems disproportionate to the rest of the face. IMO, this girl is affected more than the guy. Her hair obscures it in this shot - it's more pronounced in the other picture I posted. That said, if I spent some time with morphs, I could fix it. These are quickly done from the source image, with no morphs and minimal tweaking.

I haven't used HeadShop but I started out with FaceGen and from my experience, its oddities (it creates overly wide, squirrel-faced figures with oddly long noses) are harder to fix. I use FT exclusively now.

Awesome render, can't wait to FT (and build scenes ) myself on that level. The fine tuning after applying Face Transfer Shapes is a bit daunting to me because there are so many sliders to consider but I guess narrowing it down to the 'problem area' as best as you can is a good start. I was wondering whether "Dial Fusion for Genesis 2 to 8.1" [link] would be a good product once you  have figured out which specific dials tackle the chin issue and other post-conversion problems (problem areas)  like that.

• The eyelashes from the images keep getting added to the eyelids. Has anyone else had this problem, and know a solution?

livepassioneveryday said:

The eyelashes from the images keep getting added to the eyelids. Has anyone else had this problem, and know a solution?

Well of course they do. The solution is to bring the image into an image editor and clean it up there ;-) 

edited July 2022

And really, the eyelashes are the least of the trouble with eyes after transferring. The lids are a mess. Just assume you'll be cleaning up the entire eye area in Photoshop or the image editor of your choice. Here's an example where I did a quick cleanup in Photoshop of one of the eyes and left the other as Face Transfer creates it. 

EyeCleanup2.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 595K
    edited August 2022

I posted this out on my gallery but figured I'd also share it here.

vihnatnight.jpg
    2000 x 1451 - 906K

I posted this out on my gallery but figured I'd also share it here.

Nice :-)  yes

edited August 2022

Here's another one I posted on my gallery and thought was worth sharing here.

IntroducingMe.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 1M

yes 

•  I would like to know if there are any plans or things in the make to update Face Transfer to Gen 9? Noticed the creator has only one Gen 8 version in his shop... @itSeez3D

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,406
    edited September 2023

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Wow, lovely characters (and renders) you're creating with FG! I'm on the fence about buying it, as I'm mainly looking to recreate people from old online photos which are usually not that good in quality and/or not in a full frontal pose. Would you happen to have any advice on this? I'm not interested in the textures (the old photos are usually black and white anyway), only the morphs. Would you think FG was a good starting point, combined with the PhilC add-on?

Post edited by tsroemi on
    edited September 2023

tsroemi said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Wow, lovely characters (and renders) you're creating with FG! I'm on the fence about buying it, as I'm mainly looking to recreate people from old online photos which are usually not that good in quality and/or not in a full frontal pose. Would you happen to have any advice on this? I'm not interested in the textures (the old photos are usually black and white anyway), only the morphs. Would you think FG was a good starting point, combined with the PhilC add-on?

Hi there! Always glad to chat about creating characters, one of my favorite 3d art subjects and the literal reason why I started using Daz a couple of years ago.

I have tried all of the comparable products that I know of (including one available elsewhere) and for now, I find that I am using Face Transfer (with Face Transfer Shapes) to create shapes and of late, have been experimenting with the latest version of FaceGen to create textures from the same source images. I prefer FT shapes but FG definitely appears to be more forgiving of source image blemishes and problems, like shadows and highlights. (That wouldn't be relevant to you, if you're using old B/W photos, but just saying.)

Most of my recent characters have been complicated Franken-figures that are the result of FT -> G8.1, converted to G9, with FG textures. The latest FaceGen release creates textures for any of the Genesis versions through G9, and after some initial experimentation with manual conversion of G8 -> G9, I've moved to using the ManFriday product. That's totally a WIP; I'm still refining the process for all of that from one figure test to the next.

This is one I just posted in my gallery. Of course the baby is not FT - this is one of several I did to test out the new Mechasar Mega bundle stuff for Tobyn and Caryn - but the parents are G8.1 FT characters that I'm using for my current round of new product testing.

Check out my gallery, also linked in my signature:

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/6088047653289984#gallery=newest&page=1

Also, there's lots of commentary on these other recent threads, worth checking out if you're interested in the subject:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/381026/facegen-vs-face-transfer-vs-headshop-12-pros-cons#latest

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/597876/face-transfer-on-genesis-9#latest

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/621496/face-transfer-unlimited-g8-expressions-morphs#latest

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,406

Paulawap, thanks for your comment and links! I'll check those out, too. Like the characters in your example render, they look very life-like. Cheers!