A little tutorial for making stuff useable for Victoria4.2 figures.

Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
edited May 2022 in Carrara Discussion

It's easier for Genesis figures to use the Transfer Utility function in Daz Studio but if you like me and love the Victoria 4.2 figures, than you might want to know how to fit stuff to the figure and at the end you could use about anything that will load into carrara to fit on V4.2.

After some research i found a topic in Daz Forum with a little tutorial for that thanks to the User jktarwater_8568c339b9

Original Thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/52699/need-tutorial-for-making-clothes-for-victoria-4-2)

I have now used this method for clothing and hair, will test it out with figures later too but i think this should work too.

So first step, take the 3D object you like, any cloth or hair. If you already have the item as an .obj file, it's easy but if you don't you just need to export it as an object file.

- So in Carrara i load my morphed figure, if i want to place a dress that was modeled to the figure, or i just load a normal V4.2 figure into the scene.
No morphs or textures needed for this.

- Than i import the object i want to fit on the figure, like a Haircut or a Dress and set the size (Overall) and position where it should be, with a Dress, i might model it into position that no skin shines through.

- After that is done i export the object as WaveFront Obj. and use the Target DazStudio (Full Scene). Textures aren't that important right now as you can do it later in Daz Studio or in Carrara if you have finished the whole process.

- Open Daz Studio and first load V4.2 figure or your custom figure into the Scene (no morphs needed). Click the Figure in the scene Tab, than go to Edit > Figure > Rigging > Convert Figure to Weight Mapping.
Than choose the option TriAx Weight Mapping and click ok.

- The next Step is just load the item you like to fit, the .obj file into the Scene as import, Convert to Daz Studio from Carrara. No other settings have to be done, just click ok and the object should than load in place.
Best thing to put or save the obj file into ...\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Geometries\ (you can than create a folder you like to use). Be careful where to put the files as Daz Libary will be in public and in user documents, that can be a little confusing, you can also use both of them but you should know where the files are.

- After importing the obj. file you can than if you like add textures to it or you go directly to the next step.

- Select the Hair in Scene and Editor Tab and click: Edit > Object > Transfer Utility, As Source Scene Item you can now choose Victoria 4.2 and as Target the object you like to fit and hit ok.

- Select the Hair again in the Scene and Editor Tab and export it as a Poser CR2 File in this location: ...\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Libraries\Character\...
You can also create a folder you like for this and hit ok. As Export Options nothing have to be changed, just click Ok.

- Daz might ask you for the location of the Object file as if you already have set it to the Geometries Runtime you can just click the file there, otherwise you should add the file there now as Daz will say that it's not the correct location if you put it somewhere else.

- After that is done there is only one step left. The hair still selected, or if not select it again and go to File > Save As > SupportAsset > Figure/Prop/Asset and save the file here: ...\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Libraries\Character\... you can create your own folder again where you want to have it within the libary and just save the file.
As options for saving you can just take a look at the Metadata, the first option is SetContent Type, if you click Follower, you can than click for example Hair.
SetCompatible With should be activated, there should be Generation4/Victoria4 if it is, than just click Accept.

That was the last step, the file is now in your libary and you can update your Folders within Carrara, than just go to the location where you have saved it and you can load it directly into the scene and fit it to V4.2 figures.

I like to test out later to import a custom figure (from game for example) to make it like a full dress for the figure, than adding it, making V4.2 invisible and it sould be like an own figure where you can use all the V4 poses you have (but you still need to select V4.2).

Post edited by Chris Fox Art on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081

Thanks for sharing your workflow, and the links to the threads.  Much appreciated.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Diomede said:

Thanks for sharing your workflow, and the links to the threads.  Much appreciated.

+1  smiley

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380

Diomede said:

I just remembered years ago that there was many tutorials for that but the last days i searched google, a little this forum and youtube for V4.2 tutorial as many people are going for the new Genesis stuff and almost forgotten about V4 but as me goes it is still an awesome figure to work with and i have the most and the best textures just for that figure and i like to play with them, thatswhy i was looking for a way to do this and it seems that a few years before somebody had the same thought but many tutorials seem to disappear within many other pages in the forum and it's not that easy to find :D

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802

great info yes

thanks 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Thankyou Chris Fox Art - very informative.!!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

UnifiedBrain said:

Diomede said:

+1  smiley

+++ :^)

tnx!

--ms